Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for an air rifle

Boolit Mold
    Airguns are cool.
    The British put out the best airgun magazines (reading kind) in the business. Well worth looking for at your local book store.
    Unfortunately for the Brits, it seems many of their air guns are restricted in power.
    I have one PCP, a Hammerli Pneuma. It is out of commission at the moment, two air cylinders that will not hold air. I've had it more then 10 years, it was fun to shoot for a while. I chroned it (forgot to write down the pellet gr. size at an average of 1054fps .22 caliber.
    When I take an airgun to the range these days I shoot an RWS 56TH in .22. It's a side lever spring powered single shot. Chrony had pellets 14.3 grains averaging 866 fps. Best group of 5 shots at 25 yards .567".
    I was able to break a clay pigeon mounted on the target board at 100 yards after taking several shots with the TH.

Let me make a suggestion: Go to Pyramyd Air and buy a Air Venturi Avenger for $350. I went with a .25 cal version as they are more powerful than the .22's Then go on Ebay and buy a Compressor for <$300.

With just a little tuning (dropping pressure regulator to 2400psi.) The gun shoots hard and is very accurate. I can use either 25 gr JSB Pellets or 34 gr JSB Pellets and the gun is good to 100 yards for shooting Ground Squirrels and such. Luckily most shots will be <100 yards more like 30-50 yards so Minute of GS head is adequate.

I am shooting Rimfire Silhouette next weekend at my Club with this Airgun. Off a rest,,, I can hit the 100 Meter Rams with every single shot ! Offhand,,, Not as much? But it has no problem knocking the targets down.

You've got to figure out exactly what you want to do with the gun before you spend the money on it.

You've also got to establish some reasonable parameters for Accuracy and Velocity. Your original Estimates are a bit unrealistic.

The good thing about the one I got is that if you decide you are not impressed with Airguns you can sell it and get your money back out pretty easily. Something that may not be true with a $2500 gun?.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2318.jpg   IMG_2300.jpg   IMG_2311.jpg   IMG_2308.jpg   IMG_2322.jpg  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    If you are looking for a quick breakdown of some good rifles this article might be interesting to you. https://airguntitans.com/blog/best-a...ensive-review/
    I'm pretty new to airguns myself but I liked the info they provided.

Boolit Master

I too dipped my toe into the air gun water & now I am struggling to keep my head above water. It started cheaply enough with a used Benjamin Trail NP .177 pistol. Put a red dot on it.shoots an inch at 30 ft. Now I need a 22. Got a Hatsan 65 with a 3-9 scope. Now I need a 25. Got a Hatsan 135. You’ll get in shape cocking that one. Then I saw the Springfield Armory M1a 22. Gotta have it. Ihope l’m done for a while.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Daystate Red Wolf
    I'm sure a lot of us would like to start with one of these but don't want to hit the retirement fund in order to buy.

I started into PCP with a Daystate Huntsman Revere. Good quality but somewhat less $$. Don't forget that to jump in with both feet, you will be looking at a tank and compressor. These could exceed the cost of a rifle.

If you can afford it, go for it!
    John
    W.TN

So Hannibal: Did you pick out something yet? You've gotten a lot of free advice here, hope we didn't scare you off?

There is also a lot of Spring Powered Air Guns that are more economical to buy and shoot. I have several Weihrauch Airguns that I have had for many years and still function perfectly. My first was a HW35EB which I bought in 1978 for $189. It is a one hole gun at 10 meters and I have shot it literally thousands of times, with nothing more than a drop of oil and keeping it clean and wiped down every so often. It has accounted for over 400 Mockingbirds over the 46 years I have owned it plus numerous Ground Squirrels, Field Rats, Gophers and other Vermin.

These guns are now about $550 and are worth every cent because they are made like fine firearms and are designed for the Long Haul. HW 35's have been made since 1951 so that should tell you something?

The Second Pic is my $350 Air Venturi Avenger 25 cal.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464621.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-06-2024 at 05:56 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12