MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for an air rifle

Suggestions for an air rifle

So I'm considering dipping my toe into air guns. I've no experience with air guns since fooling around with BB guns and .177 stuff as a kid. I'm not at all interested in that performance level.

I'm interested in. 22 caliber capable of 1000 fps. Something very similar to .22lr subsonic energy levels. 1MOA accuracy at 100yds commonly. No .50 cals at least not yet. And I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I may decide isn't for me.

Any practical and informative suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your 1 MOA goal is going to be tough. I suggest, reaching out to NSB on this forum. He helped me a lot.

I also suggest going to Gateway To Airguns. That forum has people who live airguns.

BTW, if you decide to go with .22 cal, reach out to me and I can send you a bunch of pellets to test so you don’t need to piss away a bunch of money looking for what your gun likes.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Your 1 MOA goal is going to be tough. I suggest, reaching out to NSB on this forum. He helped me a lot.

I also suggest going to Gateway To Airguns. That forum has people who live airguns.

BTW, if you decide to go with .22 cal, reach out to me and I can send you a bunch of pellets to test so you don’t need to piss away a bunch of money looking for what your gun likes.
    Very generous Sir! Thank you! I sent you a PM with a question.

I agree with Don, I highly suggest you take his advice.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Sent a PM to NSB. Thanks for the help.

Check out Utah air rifles. I've been looking at the Avenger. It takes a small air compressor to fill air tank to pressure.

Boolit Master

Went with a Stoeger pcp from midway on a sale , xm1 I think suppressed and with a 7 round magazine , had to shop around for good buy on spare mags , pumps up easy with a hand pump and deadly on crows and rabbits , was pretty cheap but no complaints on it after a year .

Moderator Emeritus

Look at a 25 cal also. Depends on what you want. Don gave you good advice. Good luck.
    Ron

1000 fps is attainable but you'll be shooting slugs rather than pellets if you want MOA and that means a rifle that will shoot slugs.
    If you're willing to drop the speed down some your options greatly increase. You can do a lot with pellets in the 650-950 fps range.

Boolit Buddy
    What do you want to do with the air rifle? That will help with advice. Also, how loud is acceptable?

Boolit Buddy
    Daystate Red Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    What do you want to do with the air rifle? That will help with advice. Also, how loud is acceptable?
    I tried to be specific with my desires in my first post, as far as what the intended use is basically anything you'd do with a .22LR.

Slugs are going to be necessary for the speed and accuracy at 100yds I'm looking for, that much I already know.

It's beginning to look like I might be better off to consider a tax stamp and a suppressor.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 01-26-2024 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    So I'm considering dipping my toe into air guns. I've no experience with air guns since fooling around with BB guns and .177 stuff as a kid. I'm not at all interested in that performance level.

I'm interested in. 22 caliber capable of 1000 fps. Something very similar to .22lr subsonic energy levels. 1MOA accuracy at 100yds commonly. No .50 cals at least not yet. And I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I may decide isn't for me.

Any practical and informative suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
    KEEP IN MIND; WITH AIR GUNS, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...... I have a number of competition air-guns and they are very accurate; when you find the pellets they like... They are not cheap; but if you want suppurate accurate arms, they are worth it, and you can shoot them in your hall or basement....

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    KEEP IN MIND; WITH AIR GUNS, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...... I have a number of competition air-guns and they are very accurate; when you find the pellets they like... They are not cheap; but if you want suppurate accurate arms, they are worth it, and you can shoot them in your hall or basement....
    It's my understanding that past 50yds anything shooting pellets becomes inaccurate really quickly plus the energy requirement of 100ft/lbs is a no go with pellets. So I think I'm going to only be interested in something capable of shooting slugs. Which dramatically increases costs due to the pressure requirement and a barrel designed for slugs.

Boolit Master

You will have a tough time getting a 100 yard accurate .22 cal pellet rifle to 1000 fps without going with an expensive PCP rifle like the FX at $2500 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    You will have a tough time getting a 100 yard accurate .22 cal pellet rifle to 1000 fps without going with an expensive PCP rifle like the FX at $2500 plus.
    Looking that way, plus needing a compressor and possibly a special purpose scope.

Oh, well. If you don't ask questions you can only guess about such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWgL8rahkY

This young man can show you what you're looking for. Excellent informative and entertaining videos on his channel.
    What he does with expensive PCPs I'm not sure can be duplicated with a rimfire.

Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    /\This makes all the difference, 1 moa at 100 yards? 22 pellets are going to drop velocity at that distance, and with that accuracy. OTH CCI 22lr quiet is no louder than my magnum 22 air rifle, the weight of the quiet round is going to give better accuracy. IIRC the velocity of the CCI quiet is around 800 fps, and more energy than the 22 mag air rifle. It is capable of taking small game, and pests.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Yes sir you’re gonna spend an arm and a leg to get that kind of accuracy. You’re better off with a 22 LR and a suppressor. Probably cost you three or four grand or more than not get the kind of accuracy with an air rifle you would with a 22 LR that would cost you 200 bucks for a rifle and probably three times that for a cheap suppressor or more.

Boolit Mold
    I would suggest checking out Airgun Nation Forum. It's the no.1 airgun site and loads of good info. Guys there are really helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast