RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Brisket recipes

Boolit Master

Brisket recipes

Any good brisket recipe's out there? Not the corned ones. I want to grill some.

Boolit Buddy
    you have two choices, low and slow or fast and hot, lot depends upon your available equipment.

Boolit Master
    Long and slow over low temperature. Rub with salt and black pepper. Good rule of thumb is an hour and a half per lb and keep the smoker around 200 degrees. Some people in Texas will smoke for 6-8 hours then finish in the kitchen oven with the meat wrapped in foil. That method is actually called a "Texas finish" among professional BBQ cooks, but it can produce a somewhat mushy texture if you don't monitor it. There are numerous variations based on what type of final product you like.

I do mine in the instant pot for about an hour and a half. Fargo ND is a little cool out for grilling.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Long and slow with a full cap of fat if at all possible. Depending on size - six to eight hours in the smoker at 200 -250 degrees. Rub with your favorite rub.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

My simple beef rub

equal parts kosher salt(Morton, other salts have different size grains), garlic powder, onion powder. Then add black pepper to taste, and ground bay leaf to taste. A pinch of ground dill weed is good too(you won't taste it but will go hmm what is that...).

Cooking is up to your equipment... long slow low temp(225f) yields the most tender result.

Slow cooker mode in the instant pot here. Nothing but salt added, I usually let it run overnight for 8 hours or so. Works great every time so far.

Boolit Buddy
    First off - brisket is the most difficult cut of meat to smoke. One end is really thick, the other really thin. Its expensive to experiment on. You can easily wreck a 90 dollar piece of meat trying to learn how to do it.

All y'all sticking a brisket in a slow cooker must have little teeny briskets. Down here most briskets run 14-20 pounds. Here's a low and slow method.

60-90 minutes per pound at 225 degrees works for me. Smoking a brisket can easily take 15 hours or more. Trim the fat cap portion down to about 3/8 inch. Turn over and trim sliver skin off. There's usually a large piece of hard fat on the underside. Trim this off since it won't render out and its inedible. Large amount of pepper and salt only. Wrap in cling wrap and put in fridge overnight. Remove from fridge several hours before your going to start cooking - the bigger the brisket the longer. Stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the thin end. Place on smoker, fat side up and cook until the temperature approaches the 155-160 degree range. At this point your brisket will go into a stall where the connective tissues start to break down and the temperature isn't rising any longer or actually may even start to drop a little. When this happens take it out and wrap it in several layers of butcher paper and stick the thermometer back in. Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 200-205 degrees. Throw in in a cooler and let it rest for a few hours. If you don't have butcher paper wrap in two sheets of heavy duty foil leaving the top open.

Other people start a brisket overnight at 185-190 degress for 9 to 12 hours and then foil wrap and kick the temp up to 250. In any case your looking for the 200-205 range. I try to remove in about 203 degrees.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Shanghai Jack; 01-25-2024 at 08:57 PM.

My wife brought home a whole brisket, fat and all in a plastic bag. I cut it into roughly 5" lengths and vacumn sealed each then froze.

Some are thick, some are thin, all are tasty. Some after pressure cooking go into soup, lots of vegi's. Some get potatoes & carrot chunks on top and another 10 min pressure cook.

My prefered seasoning is a spoonful of better than bouilon, beef. 2-3 shots of whostershire sauce, same of soy sauce, and some oyster sauce and black pepper. With 1.5 to 2 cups of water. Then a package of brown gravy mix, 2-3 spoonfuls of flour. in a Ragu jar about 1/3 full of milk. Remove meat and such and make gravy in the pot. When done you have 2 plates, 2 forks, and a 6 qt pot liner to wash along with a cutting board. No baby sitting, no hovering over a hot stove, set it up and walk away then gravy time, dish it and done.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I like to cook 1/2 briskets - the lean end. I put the brisket in the frying pan first and sear the thing on both sides in a frying pan. I use salt, pepper and cumin on it as a dry rub. Then put the brisket in a roasting pan on a griddle so that you can pour a 32 oz carton of beef broth in there. Peel a few carrots and lay them on top. Cut a couple white onions in half. Wrap the pan tightly in foil.

Bake the brisket 6 hours (4 pound brisket) at 200 degrees.

It's tender and wonderful. I make gravy from the sauce.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    First off - brisket is the most difficult cut of meat to smoke. One end is really thick, the other really thin. Its expensive to experiment on. You can easily wreck a 90 dollar piece of meat trying to learn how to do it.

All y'all sticking a brisket in a slow cooker must have little teeny briskets. Down here most briskets run 14-20 pounds. Here's a low and slow method.

60-90 minutes per pound at 225 degrees works for me. Smoking a brisket can easily take 15 hours or more. Trim the fat cap portion down to about 3/8 inch. Turn over and trim sliver skin off. There's usually a large piece of hard fat on the underside. Trim this off since it won't render out and its inedible. Large amount of pepper and salt only. Wrap in cling wrap and put in fridge overnight. Remove from fridge several hours before your going to start cooking - the bigger the brisket the longer. Stick a thermometer in the thickest part of the thin end. Place on smoker, fat side up and cook until the temperature approaches the 155-160 degree range. At this point your brisket will go into a stall where the connective tissues start to break down and the temperature isn't rising any longer or actually may even start to drop a little. When this happens take it out and wrap it in several layers of butcher paper and stick the thermometer back in. Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 200-205 degrees. Throw in in a cooler and let it rest for a few hours. If you don't have butcher paper wrap in two sheets of heavy duty foil leaving the top open.

Other people start a brisket overnight at 185-190 degress for 9 to 12 hours and then foil wrap and kick the temp up to 250. In any case your looking for the 200-205 range. I try to remove in about 203 degrees.

Hope that helps.
    The Big Grocery store here has prepackaged (vacuum pak) steaks and roasts and other cuts. I always checkout the "mark down" bin. One time, they had Brisket cuts half price, 2 lbs each. I think this has become common practice. They cook up in the slow cooker real well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

A packer brisket is what you want, has the flat and point cuts. The point is fattier and makes awesome burnt ends(many recipes online) while the flat is great for slicing. A packer brisket is in a thick plastic cryovac bag and can be frozen in that bag if you buy extra. Unopened they will easily keep 2 weeks past use by date, they wet age and get a bit more tender. When you open the bag it might have a smell(whiff) that is off, let it air out and it goes away. I rinse mine then pat dry and season then onto the smoker for 18+ hours... (12-14 pound brisket, I like the smaller ones... I did a 25 pounder one time... took 36 hours on the smoker... and some tricks like foil and beef stock to keep it moist. Smaller ones cook fast enough to not dry out, I never foil them until I remove them from the smoker. They get a "bark" on the outside that is your seasoning and cooked off fat, ohhh so tasty!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post

Hope that helps.
    this is how to cook a brisket