Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with the county

Boolit Grand Master

Dealing with the county

Paid the property taxes today for the year. Since I used my debit card ( local bank) I was charged almost $70.00 for a credit card. What the they expect me to carry cash into them? I was under the impression that the debit card was the same as a check. Next year Im paying in cash. Wonder how they will handle that many pennies?

Boolit Buddy

Dealing with the county

It covers the fee for them to use the machine/debit service. Same reason some small shops have minimum charges

The people who build the ability to use the card digital infrastructure demand payment, and blood. From all who use their services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Do they take checks? Debit cards still pay a 1.9% to 3.9% fee to the card company. Since the china flu most of the local restaurants charge a 3 1/2% charge.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

They should have told you up front how much you would pay to use a debit card if they did not you might depending on state be able to get the fee back .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Remember way back when ATM and debit cards first came out?
    They said there would never be a fee for using them.

Kind of like when the seat belt laws came out," We will never write a violation only for seatbelts.", That didn't last long, did it?
    Checks still are useful for some things.

If they demand cash, pay them in pennies.

Boolit Buddy
    Because they are collecting a tax they legally cannot refuse a stack of pennys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

May take a month for the Bank to get pennies on hand - Ask bank weeks in advance.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Tipping is getting out of hand.

Boolit Master
    You might call or go see your tax commissioner and explain you did not know there would be an additional charge. You might be surprised?
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Pennys are impractical for me. That would be 1767.9558 pounds! It would cost more then $70 to get them in the front door or the time waiting for them to count the 320,000 in a big box. Even if they let you in the door with the size of box needed to hold them.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Pennys are impractical for me. That would be 1767.9558 pounds! It would cost more then $70 to get them in the front door or the time waiting for them to count the 320,000 in a big box. Even if they let you in the door with the size of box needed to hold them.
    There is likely a mistake. Their point of sale process is likely no different than mine, a debit card costs 0.08% if run as a debit. A credit card is run at 3.24%. Perhaps make a phone call or two.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I think the county ( Lawrence ) charged me about $3.00 to take my debit card on my taxes. In Madison county I pay on line and a debit card is about $30.00 so I have it drawn directly from my checking account for free.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Dollar bills? is that too much for you?

I avoid using a credit card as much as I can. The court house where I can go pay in person, is about 6 blocks away. I pay by check to have proof they were paid. Thieves never rest trying to come up with a new skimmer that grabs your credit card, call me paranoid if you wish. I do zero banking online and the only credit card I do have online I keep a limited amount in even if I get hit. Cash, or check is how I pay 99.8% of the time.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I avoid using a credit card as much as I can. The court house where I can go pay in person, is about 6 blocks away. I pay by check to have proof they were paid. Thieves never rest trying to come up with a new skimmer that grabs your credit card, call me paranoid if you wish. I do zero banking online and the only credit card I do have online I keep a limited amount in even if I get hit. Cash, or check is how I pay 99.8% of the time.

Murphy
    Smart man!

Boolit Master

I had to pay $3 and change extra to pay for my concealed carry permit with a card. If I use a check there is still a fee to the bank I think. I need to check on that.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    We paid our with a check, all the county agencies charge for using debit

Moderator Emeritus

Counties all seem to use the same payment processor that rips you off big time... town I live in tried doing online payments for the water bill, they wanted a $7.95 fee to process a $100 payment!!!! RIP OFF because I use pay by online check, basically a free service from the bank!

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC, the smallest denomination that is legal tender is the dime. I would use instead, dollar bills or $1 coins. They probably would refuse dimes/quarters or half dollar pieces.

Boolit Master
    When the tax to be able to register a commercial truck (form 2290) started in 1983, I went to the IRS office with 5 100s and a 50. They wouldn't take cash I had to write a check.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast