Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaner Advice?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Check out my post in this thread: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ive-mistake%85

Now, my advice, buy a good one. Don't skimp on the cleaning solution - i.e. buy the stuff, don't look for a homemade solution, less you end up like me. And stay away from the cheaper Lyman type, that is the type that I had this problem with, the tank is VERY thin...
    Ohhh boy. Yeah, that story is a good warning... I'll avoid being adventurous with solutions. I'm usually pretty cautious and go by the book on this stuff, too many personal examples of realizing that the most expensive thing I can do is try to save a buck.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I tried the sonic cleaning routine with a Hornady sonic cleaner and was disappointed with the results. I sold it and bought a Thumblers Tumbler and I wet tumble my brass with pins and a solution of Dawn, Lemi-Shine and a carwash/wax solution that I read about somewhere. I sometimes don't even use the pins and brass comes out looking better than new. It takes longer than any 30 mintes though. I dry my brass with an old dehydrator that I once used to dry fruit, meat, etc.. The last brass I cleaned was a batch of old 30's 30-06 brass that was pretty gungy. I did not use pins and I forgot about putting the brass on to clean. It ran for about 22 hours before I remembered it and took the brass out of the tumbler. Brass was so bright it almost glowed. Really shiney. I wish I had bought this Thumbler years ago as I burned up 2 media tumblers and was on a third one before I broke down and bought the Thumbler. My experience anyway, james
    I ended up going with Frankford Arsenal just because the Thumbler price point was so much higher, but it seems like the people with Thumblers are REALLY happy with how well they work. Might be time for an upgrade...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    30 minutes is what I’ve been doing here lately as soon as I pick it up off the ground. Depending on caliber, I’ll deprive or resize and tumble again. The rifle cases get another run or two to get the greasy feel from the lanolin to go away. I’m running two bottles of pins though. Don’t know if that makes a difference, but 30 minutes definitely makes a significant difference in the appearance of the brass. Usually longer tumble times really only help with primer residue in my experience.

I sprung for the thumblers tumbler made for brass. It might be advertised as high speed iirc. I have overloaded it with pins, brass and 7/8 full of water. It wouldn’t spin. Just slipped. Had to remove part of the batch and restart. Now I have a vessel dedicated as a measure, so I don’t overload it with brass.

Even if you run it longer, I still think it’s the best method. No more picking media out of flash holes. Brass looks new inside and out!
    I had the same experience with trying to find the maximum weight that wouldn't overload the motor. Took me a few rounds, but I found the right balance. Primer residue is really the most challenging part for me... I like using a uniformer but that works best when the pocket is cleaned a bit first.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I use the large size HF ultrasonic cleaner with Dawn, Lemishine and hot distilled water and it cleans my brass fine. No, it doesn’t come out shiny and looking better than new like the SS pins, but it is clean. Trick is don’t overload it.
    I'm trying to set my expectations realistically here -- I see the ultrasonic as a great solution for an initial wash of the very muddy pickup brass. Then resize/deprime, then SS pins for that perfectly clean like-new look.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gzig5 View Post
    Get the biggest, most capable cleaner you can afford. The "reloader" brands are just relabeled imports of some persuasion and there are better quality and features available. Pre-heater is a nice touch, and a big basket that keeps the material off the floor is important. I use mine to clean all kinds of carburetors and other things I had never thought I might.
    Hey gzig5 -- when I started this thread I was thinking about finding the smallest unit that still made sense, probably in the 10 liter range. From all the responses, including yours, I've changed my mind on that. The ultrasonics really do seem to pay off best when they're larger and higher quality, so a bit more money makes sense here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I think it’s the wrong tool for cleaning brass. You end up with half clean brass that you need to dry, ie all the downsides of each dry and wet tumbling with none of the advantages of either.

What’s a “great deal of brass”? I did a couple 55gal drums worth with a FART before switching to a larger wet tumbler.
    Hey Jim -- I have a good dryer so I'm ok with that, but I think you're right. It does seem to do a rough clean and that's all. Sometimes that's what I need, though.

In terms of brass, I'm looking at about 100 gallons of muddy pickup brass that I think will need an initial cleaning for resizing/depriming and then tumble/pins.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    I have an older HF that I’ve used on brass, it works great. I see now they have a larger one. The HF is the same as one or more of the reloading branded machines that cost a lot more. 90 day warranty, wring it out on them. Lemishine and dawn. Primer pockets spotless. Brass very shiny.
    I'm so grateful to know that the non-reloading brands are the right move here, whether it's a HF or Amazon brand. Honestly, that alone has paid for my CB gold membership for the next 5 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12