WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: How far can LLA be thinned and still be useful ?…

How far can LLA be thinned and still be useful ?…

I’m specifically thinking along the lines of lubing for sizing and seating G.C in “push thru” dies…..

And would it be worthwhile as a second coat (quick drying) for shooting at around 1100 fps from a Marlin 1894 in .357 and revolvers ?…

Any thoughts or experiences folks ?… Thanks…
    May we achieve our aims....

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I dilute 50-50 with Stoddard solvent for pistol and revolver loads and subsonic rifle small game and gallery loads. All with soft 10 BHN alloy and plainbased bullets in .38 Special, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .32-20. One light coat, no need to fill grooves, just enough to turn bullets a light brassy color.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Excellent advice.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    I thin it about 8 to 1 , mineral spirits to LLA. Helps those boolits run thru my Star sizer easier without so much strain on those a bit oversized.

Super Moderator

I have never tried thinning LLA more than 50/50, but it would probably work OK to thin it more than that for just bullet sizing. I thin 50/50 with mineral spirits for 38 Special wadcutters and other low velocity pistol and rifle loads. Back to bullet sizing and gas checking, I have also had very good results using Dillon's alcohol/lanolin based case lubricant. It works great and can be wiped off easily.

I just thin it by looking at it and stirring in mineral spirits. When it has the right look, and pours easily it's good. Never tried measuring it at specific mixtures.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I just thin it by looking at it and stirring in mineral spirits. When it has the right look, and pours easily it's good. Never tried measuring it at specific mixtures.
    This is me!

I then generally treat, allow to dry, retreat, dry and load.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always diluted by eye. Probably around fifty percent mineral spirits. I would lube the boolits, let them dry overnight, add gas checks while sizing and lube once again. Maybe I didn’t need to, but I felt I was staying on the safe side.

I mix a bottle of LLA with a can of Johnson's Paste Wax. I'm not sure what ratio that gives 6:1 maybe. I use it for light duty stuff, 45 Auto mostly, and 38 Special.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    In answer to OP's question of lubing before sizing on a push through sizer, I believe VERY little lube is required. When I have an empty bottle of LLA I add enough mineral spirits to the bottle so I can shake it and so it washes the lube off the size of the bottle and the bottom. It is probably diluted by at least 30:1. Then I tumble as usual, using a square plastic jar that peaunuts come in, using a half teaspoon per 100 bullets. I always heat the bullets with a hair dryer before putting them in the lube jug. That insures even coat. After sizing their is a very slight coating of lube on the bullets, so I figure I have used enough.

If there is an advantage to double lubing, I have never figured it out, other than ensuring you have every bullet fully coated, but heating the bullets before lubing, which I always do, makes for a very even coating. Long ago, before I started casting, a fellow who had many years of casting and experimenting convinced me that most folks used way to much LLA, which can build up and be a detriment to accuracy. Also to much adds to the build up in the seating die.

Just my thoughts. My opinion and a dollar used to get you a cup of coffee, but those days have long passed.

Thanks everyone that’s giving me some thoughts…
    May we achieve our aims....