WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 30-06 Freebore lengthening?

Boolit Master

30-06 Freebore lengthening?

Remington 700 30-06 with a Shelin Remage barrel.
    Freebore is to short to load cast to the proper OCL.
    I have to seat them way to deep.
    Is there a reamer to just lengthen the freebore?
    Thought's on doing this?
    Last edited by hylander; 01-23-2024 at 04:48 PM.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy
    It's done all the time.

Boolit Master
    I have been searching but can't find a throating reamer
    Failure is not an Option

Vendor Sponsor

I found a rental! Keith Rice is a great guy to rent from, he is ol skool so have to mail him a check, but you'll get exactly the reamer you want, I just got off the phone with him.

He has two 30 cal throaters, one for jacketed with 2 1/2° leade in angle, and one for cast boolits with 1.5° leade in angle. Solid pilot .299" diameter cuts .002" above groove diameter so your freebore *should* be in the .309" .310" vicinity, but this final diameter depends heavily on how hard your barrel is, the harder the base steel, the smaller diameter the reamer will cut. The softer the steel, the reamer will finish slightly larger than in harder steel.

Give him a call at 816-454-0478. Address is:

Keith Rice
    115 Resaca Retreat Dr.
    Los Fresnos TX 78566-4465

Rental for this reamer is $12, shipping is $5 and you write one check for $17, you write a second check for $6 which is your refundable deposit, and he asks for separate checks for the rental and the refundable deposit (for tax purposes).

You could probably use a drill bit extension on the reamer shank, it's 1/4"
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-23-2024 at 06:26 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I would do a chamber cast first, just to make sure of what I thought was wrong.

It is very easy to take metal away, not so easy to replace it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys.
    I don't think I need a chamber cast, the throat is just to short for what I want.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Well poo, they are out of stock
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

try manson reamers Dave does great work. Clymers may have them also. You might be able to rent one at Pacific

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Not a fan of renting. Cheaper to purchase and sell on eBay if you are not keeping it.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...?sku=184053300

https://mansonreamers.com/product/30-cal-throater/

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/311-...d-neck-reamers

https://4drentals.com/product/30-cal...sion-throater/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-23-2024 at 10:22 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not a fan of renting. Cheaper to purchase and sell on eBay if you are not keeping it.
    Excuse me, this is Keith Rice we are talking about, not 4D or some other hack, Keith is a no BS guy that rents first rate tools at really affordable rates.

Brownell's has the 30-06 throater, made by Manson, but they have the 2.5 degree leade to the rifling, that's the one they are selling. That one is for jacketed bullets. Keith has both this reamer and one with 1.5 degree leade for cast boolits. He will be weeks or months waiting for a new reamer to be made. So would you suggest he buy the less optimized for cast reamer as opposed to renting one specifically made for cast boolits?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Excuse me, this is Keith Rice we are talking about, not 4D or some other hack, Keith is a no BS guy that rents first rate tools at really affordable rates.

Brownell's has the 30-06 throater, made by Manson, but they have the 2.5 degree leade to the rifling, that's the one they are selling. That one is for jacketed bullets. Keith has both this reamer and one with 1.5 degree leade for cast boolits. He will be weeks or months waiting for a new reamer to be made. So would you suggest he buy the less optimized for cast reamer as opposed to renting one specifically made for cast boolits?
    You may be talking Keith Rice but the rest of us have never heard of him. If we did we would have recommended him.

In the past I've rented from three different reamer rentals. Was shipped chipped junk once, different time the PO was slow delivering so the rental wanted to be me to pay for the 9 days before the reamer was delivered. Had to turn it over to the State AG to get it resolved. That was before we had a usable tracking system. Twice I was sent reamers that should have been resharpened long before I received it. That out of 6 total rentals.

What I am suggesting is he purchase exactly what he needs and if its a one time use selling it on eBay.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-24-2024 at 12:04 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    You may be talking Keith Rice but the rest of us have never heard of him. If we did we would have recommended him.

What I am suggesting is he purchase exactly what he needs and if its a one time use selling it on eBay.
    So you are forseeing ruin and misfortune instead of success. What I am suggesting is he doe what HE wants to do. I have given the correct information, and a VERY REPUTABLE source, oh but since you got burned 6 out of 6 that means every one you have never heard of is a crook? Stick your head back in the sand sir.

Boolit Grand Master

So you are forseeing ruin and misfortune instead of success. What I am suggesting is he doe what HE wants to do. I have given the correct information, and a VERY REPUTABLE source, oh but since you got burned 6 out of 6 that means every one you have never heard of is a crook? Stick your head back in the sand sir.
    So I guess it's not alright to suggest a different option????? Not my idea originally. I read about others claiming doing the purchase and selling on eBay as a better option. That proved to be true for me also.

Even if my actual renting experience was 100% positive (not the actual 50% having issues) purchasing and reselling has never cost me more than 15 dollars and once someone way over bid and I did very well.

I was addressing the ops statement not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post

Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-24-2024 at 05:05 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Ptg unithroater is what you want
    No lathe needed, turns by hand and stays concentric to the existing throat
    Most throaters need to be used in a lathe to get good results.
    Before you do that though, buy a hornady oal gauge and modified case, then take the bullet your trying to use and figure out exactly how far it will go out with the current chamber. Maybe try seating the bullets deeper based off that messuremt
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Grand Master

Like Dougguy I simply recommended who I have experience with. Its hard for me to recommend someone I have never worked with.

I believe the chamber cast might be of benefit as it will show what you have and how its matching with the chosen bullet. Your required short seating may not be throat depth but lead angle or diameter of the throat.

Boolit Master
    I must be lucky. I’ve rented reamers from CH-4D, Reamerrentals and Shawnie Tools. The only problems I’ve ever had were a technical difficulty where I needed an original .40-90 Sharps Straight chamber and the reamer I got was a .40-90 Shiloh Sharps chamber (not the same, but all that was available with the basic case and replica rifle situation as it was back then) and, recently, I had to wait some months for a reamer that was out at a customer’s and the owner was having trouble getting it returned.

I admit I haven’t done a huge amount of chambering, but the reamers I’ve rented have been sharp and cut the proper chambers, with smooth finishes. I’ve rented .25 and .32 throaters. I turn them by hand with as little pressure as possible and stop as soon as the bumpiness from the rifling lands is no longer felt. It’s worked for me, and I mostly shoot cast boolits anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

CH-4D doesn't list reamers .https://www.chtoolanddie.com/

4D does https://4drentals.com/ Some have not been overly happy with 4D https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...3BM3FTpNDHXyMo

I didn't recognize the name Keith Rice. After a little research it turns out that's White Rock Tool & Die. Never rented from him but based on reputation and price if I ever do rent another it will be from them if they have what I need with floating pilot. Purchasing and selling has worked the best for me for the few one offs that I do.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-25-2024 at 02:23 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Get a mold that fits your throat! No point ruining the potential for jacketed.
    The 348 Winchester has a very short leade and no freebore at all. 348 boolits are designed with that in mind.
    Just do the same for your 30-06. Easy!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Get a mold that fits your throat! No point ruining the potential for jacketed.
    The 348 Winchester has a very short leade and no freebore at all. 348 boolits are designed with that in mind.
    Just do the same for your 30-06. Easy!
    Not really an option for me.
    I don't want to be stuck with being able to shoot only one bullet.
    Also the throat is to short for most jacketed bullets.
    Failure is not an Option