Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: some thing cheap to shoot

Banner Sponsor

I made a single shot break open pistol a couple of decades ago. It was UGLY, but it worked.
    For a cartridge, I took 38 spl brass and stuffed it into a 7.62x25 die. I called it the 30 Erin. It has the same capacity as the 32-20.
    I found some old pics. Probably not the best resolution...

Last edited by lar45; 01-23-2024 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add pictures

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I made a single shot break open pistol a couple of decades ago. It was UGLY, but it worked.
    For a cartridge, I took 38 spl brass and stuffed it into a 7.62x25 die. I called it the 30 Erin. It has the same capacity as the 32-20.
    Basically the same as the 30Badger from the sounds of it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Basically the same as the 30Badger from the sounds of it.
    Yep, looks to be the same thing. lol . I think I made mine in December of 2003, when did the Badger come out?
    I made my own reamer and cut the throat to accept the Lee C309-113RF. Looks like the Badger was loaded with a wide range of bullets.

Boolit Master
    The Badger was devised by BadgerEd here on CastBoolits about 2009-2010 if my memory serves, although this isn't a new idea, the 30 Reece which is basically the same dates back to the 70s I think. Not to mention the host of other 30cal 38spl/357mag variants. The idea was to give a single shot rifle the ballistics of the 30Tok, but with a larger case neck for holding onto larger bullets. Creating a cheap 'Rook' rifle that is cheap to shoot. There are a couple of threads on the forum....

That said, if anyone wants reamers for the 30 Badger, you can buy them from Manson Precision Reamers. I've been meaning to buy one for a long time. Just never had the spare change to break down and order one...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I have a lifetime supply of 22 Hornet cases (approx 1000) 2,500 SR primers and 5 lbs of powder. That is my 'go-to' rifle for any critters.
    Another vote for the 22 Hornet here. I can use mine [I have 3 Hornets] with very small amounts of fast burning powder like Bullseye to duplicate 22LR and small amounts of a bit slower powder like 2400, 4227, Blue Dot, to duplicate 22 Magnum with cast bullets of 37 - 55 gr weight. You can even use just primers with 22 cal pellets to duplicate air rifle ballistics.

In discussing "something cheap to shoot" one must consider the cost of the firearm also, especially if you don't already have one in the caliber/cartridge you're considering. If you don't have a 22 Hornet then I suggest a 223 Rem with a 12" twist. It is almost as economical to shoot with cast bullets as the Hornet. As mentioned, brass availability is also a consideration.

Additionally, any 30/31 cal cartridge [of 7.62x39 up through 30-06 capacity] can be loaded with 80 - 120 gr cast pistol bullets over 2.7 - 3.2 gr of Bullseye for very economical shooting. If one wants a small 30/31 cal cartridge and are going to buy a rifle for it consider the 300 BO or the 7.62x39.

Primer availability and cost seems to be the limiting iten to "cheap shooting" these days.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    For prepping, I always think the relative availability of brass and amount of powder used are major factors. It seems foolish to depend on a cartridge that is rare in the best of times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I don't see the purpose of coming up with a brand new cartridge, and spending $500-1000 building a gun to shoot it, when we already have plenty of options that can serve this purpose. 92gr 358242 over 3.0gr of Bullseye in 38spl, 0.10 - 0.15/rd depending on your primer cost. I just converted a H&R SB1 to 7.62x25, 90gr bullet over 4gr of Unique, costs about $0.11/rd. Want a semiauto??? 92gr 258242 over 4.5gr Bullseye or Red Dot, or 6gr of Unique in the 9mm. Runs my pistols or my Ruger PC Carbine, and costs about $0.11/rd tops.

Sure, you're not going to get old school 22LR pricing of $0.04. But when primers are costing on average 0.08-0.10 per primer, spending 0.10-0.15/rd isn't bad at all.
    I definitely agree with most of this; I love cheap brass and loading Red Dot into 223Rem or 38Spl for my rifles is about as cheap as it gets. 9mm factory loads for my PCC as well; Aguila 147gr subsonic for $15.80/box, shipped.

But we were close to 'good times' for 22LR just this past November. Aguila SV was about 5 cents/rnd shipped from Ammo Planet, and I did pick up a 10ct case of Winchester 333 'blaster ammo' for 4.7 cents/rnd, shipped.

Boolit Master

The PCP rifles are not all that heavy , I have more then a few and the 25 calibers are pretty nice , not single shot either , most take a magazine 8-10 shots as fast as you can work a bolt , some of the bolts are straight pull , no recoil and with the moderator they are silent .

I am stocking up on 22lr as it is cheap at the present time , pellets are depending on what brand weight or style as to cost and yes NOE sells molds , pest control , plinking , there are some guys making higher capacity magazines and all kinds of mods to them , not our old benjamins by any means though I have a pair of them .

Scopes on the pcps and legal to shoot in city limits some places , hand pump for some electric pump for others , I get 42 shots out of the regulated 22 caliber and still in the green gauge zone for the regulator , lots of youtube videos showing what they can do .

During the crazy prices on 22 and shortages I would reload as primers were cheap when on sale with rebates , now with price of primers and shortage of some of them it makes sense to shoot 22lr again .

This hobby costs money and like most things is getting more expensive all the time , does it not seem strange that large rifle non military primers are the most scarce ,
    anyway one can always make black powder and shoot flintlocks .

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    anyway one can always make black powder and shoot flintlocks .
    There's a lot of wisdom there.
    Maybe I should start looking at a flintlock???

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing is cheaper than air. Even if you have to pay to have it compressed.

Both my PCP rifles are 10 shot repeaters and weigh less than 6 1/2 lbs.

I have done the bulk of my PCP shooting with the Daystate Huntsman. The gun and tank will be paid for in savings after 3 years...but I shoot more than most...because I CAN!!!!

45 five shot groups averaged .77 " at 50 yards. Then I found adding 20 drops of Ballistol helped accuracy. Shot 25 groups with lubed pellets and averaged .69". Not many .22's can do that and they cost a lot more to shoot. BTW, my current cost is $15/k for pellets, air and Ballistol.

I know this is cast bullet site but cast bullets are over rated IMO. There are better ways to get cheap trigger time. It takes about 6-8 hours to cast, size, lube and load 1000 rounds of cast ammunition using a four cavity mold, Star and Dillon 550. Just the primers are $80.

Cast bullets are not even a consideration for me when it comes to "serious work". I use jacketed bullets. I used to shoot a lot of cast bullets in pistols and pistol caliber carbines but with the cost of stuff I shoot them less.

Building a "cheap cast bullet shooter" is an oxymoron. Just be honest and say you want a new toy to play with.

I have one of these too:

https://www.dynamicairrifles.com/pro...caliber-option

Is no Daystate, but 1/3 the price. Weighs less than 6.5 lbs and will hold 1" at 50 yards with Crosman 14.3gr .22 pellets. Add a $600 tank and you are set for lots of cheap trigger time.
    Don Verna

None of my “cheap cast bullet shooters” cost the $600 that that tank cost.
    I tire of your habit of pumping up(forgive the pun) the air rifles and dismissing us who don’t agree with you.
    But I still like you, Dverna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Don's saving's come on the back end. It doesn't take much shooting these days to hit the $600 mark. I've actually considered buying one of the 9mm air guns once or twice... No pumping with those I believe, but you do need a pretty large tank....

Boolit Master
    I love airguns. Half my current lead ingots for casting boolits are from collected airgun pellets. 4x 22 pellets is a 223 boolit.

But PCP doesn't make much sense to me, unless you are a felon or a minor with lots of money to spend. You could buy a few tax stamps for the cost of a PCP setup. That's just me. The PCP airgun industry is booming, and the variety is great.

The one thing that would drive me to PCP is if I had a specific need. Pesting in firearms-restricted area that needed more power or range than the simple pumpers or springers. Kinda the reason I got back into airguns was for pesting, but my airgun pesting is handled with .177 under 500 fps just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    How much will you save over shooting a .357 with 5-14 gr (depending on the power you want) of powder? My cheap round was a .38 Spl in .357 guns
    I use a lot of air guns, and a lot of black powder where I can make everything myself, including the percussion caps. I can find imported small pistol primers for 7 cents if bought in bulk. 38 special loaded with Black / Golden powder I made myself and the 105gr Lee bullet with conventional lube works out to about a dime a shot.

If there was a tool to make centerfire primers and anvils (not reload old ones) like there is for percussion caps I could get that down to 4 cents a shot or less. But trying to clean out old primers and pick the anvils out is where I draw the economy line.

Boolit Buddy
    I have large bore PCP guns because California. I joke about the fact the Glock 22 I wear on the job (right now, actually) is actually less powerful than my PCP gun - which is full auto.

But actually not cheaper unless you make your own pellets. Even with all the taxes and fees in CALIFORINIA, my Ruger PC carbine cost less than the airgun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    None of my “cheap cast bullet shooters” cost the $600 that that tank cost.
    I tire of your habit of pumping up(forgive the pun) the air rifles and dismissing us who don’t agree with you.
    But I still like you, Dverna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, I can be a pain.

Thanks for putting up with me.

PCP’s ROCK!!! LOL
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    LAR 45 are those rimmed cases? They look rimless but my eyes aren't the best.

Boolit Master
    22LR is coming down in price. $35 or sometimes even $30 for 500 rounds. Makes it hard to justify doing all the work to load a centerfire down to that level.

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon lists .223 loads using titegroup.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    LAR 45 are those rimmed cases? They look rimless but my eyes aren't the best.
    The ones with the short caseneck are 7.62x25 cases. The ones with long necks have rims, and are a sized down 38spl case. He just had them side by side for comparison.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast