Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with a weird wildcat: .338 Razorback

Quote Originally Posted by Fist View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I hadn’t considered going “au naturale” with the boolits but I’ll try testing a couple seated deeper and with less/no coating.
    This is the thinner powder coat layer. Coverage is still very good.

Boolit Buddy
    I ended up working late, but I will do it tonight.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    I ended up working late, but I will do it tonight.
    No rush brother. I appreciate it!

Boolit Master
    Something else that you might consider...

I saw a video a while back where the guy was having a similar issue. His solution was actually quite impressive. What he did is mix his PC solution in a solvent, and create a thicker liquid which he then dipped the bodies of the bullets in (sort of like the guys that used to do with Lee's Liquid Alox when they didn't want bullets with sticky noses while handling them). He then stuck them nose up on a cookie sheet to dry before placing them in the oven for curing. This made a bullet that was PC'd on the body and base, but the nose was still bare.

Depending on how much engagement you're getting this may work, but you'll have exposed lead on the nose, which may or may not build up in the bore - most noses have a certain amount of "bore riding" length to them where the boolit is slightly larger than bore diameter.

Other than that, you may have to seat deeper or use a nose sizer like mentioned before.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious...What is the purpose of this wild cat? He is very different.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    I would guess to throw a heavy at extremely low velocities. Probably a similar concept to the 30 Reece/30 Badger.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    Mainly powder efficiency so far as I can tell. Cheap parent case, tiny powder charges and hopefully someday a working cast boolit means I can shoot .300 Blackout but with 50% more energy and do it on the cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Mainly powder efficiency so far as I can tell. Cheap parent case, tiny powder charges and hopefully someday a working cast boolit means I can shoot .300 Blackout but with 50% more energy and do it on the cheap.
    The main thoughts behind this round is as has been stated, cheap brass available all the time, easy to form case, small powder charges and still 1050-1080 fps, rinse in AR15 with stock carbine spring and standard buffer. As well as ability to use 300gr + bullets.
    The 338 Razorback does run with cast bullets but you have to use a correctly designed mold. With that said, using a bore ride bullet is a must so you can get the nose out farther to have good case capacity. I suggest using a bore riding design and when measuring for the diameter of the bore ride section you need to account for the thickness of the coating if you powder coat. Also I would suggest NOE's nose sizing bushings be used as well.
    Here are some of the bullets I have used without issue (when sized correctly in the bore ride section if they are bore ride bullets)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OJ8GXX3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	322631
    From left to right.
    Accurate Molds 34-310Z 310gr
    Accurate Molds 34-300F 300gr
    NOE Molds 341-245-SP-R1 250gr
    Accurate Molds 34-250Z 250gr
    I mainly hunt with the Sierra 250gr open tip boattail bullets, because I got a ton of them in the past and they shoot very well in my gun and smack hogs as if hit by a bolt of lightning. When I want to practice I load up the NOE 250gr bullets that I coat with BCB Coatings polymer coating.
    The 300gr and the 310gr cast shot well also but I haven't shot a hog with one yet.
    Also the coated bullets in the pic were coated with Hi Tec coating which I like to use as well when a super thin coating is needed (like in the bore riding section)

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    The main thoughts behind this round is as has been stated, cheap brass available all the time, easy to form case, small powder charges and still 1050-1080 fps, rinse in AR15 with stock carbine spring and standard buffer. As well as ability to use 300gr + bullets.
    The 338 Razorback does run with cast bullets but you have to use a correctly designed mold. With that said, using a bore ride bullet is a must so you can get the nose out farther to have good case capacity. I suggest using a bore riding design and when measuring for the diameter of the bore ride section you need to account for the thickness of the coating if you powder coat. Also I would suggest NOE's nose sizing bushings be used as well.
    Here are some of the bullets I have used without issue (when sized correctly in the bore ride section if they are bore ride bullets)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OJ8GXX3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	322631
    From left to right.
    Accurate Molds 34-310Z 310gr
    Accurate Molds 34-300F 300gr
    NOE Molds 341-245-SP-R1 250gr
    Accurate Molds 34-250Z 250gr
    I mainly hunt with the Sierra 250gr open tip boattail bullets, because I got a ton of them in the past and they shoot very well in my gun and smack hogs as if hit by a bolt of lightning. When I want to practice I load up the NOE 250gr bullets that I coat with BCB Coatings polymer coating.
    The 300gr and the 310gr cast shot well also but I haven't shot a hog with one yet.
    Also the coated bullets in the pic were coated with Hi Tec coating which I like to use as well when a super thin coating is needed (like in the bore riding section)
    Thank you so much, this is amazing info. Have you had any issues at all with the Flat Nose design hanging up on the star chamber?

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you so much, this is amazing info. Have you had any issues at all with the Flat Nose design hanging up on the star chamber?
    No, you need to get the COL correct, I have to look, I don't remember if I did any ramp work on my Razorback but I don't think I did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12