Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 03 Springfield load using fillers ?

Boolit Buddy

03 Springfield load using fillers ?

Do to the lack of powder IMR 3031 in my 03 Springfield. I'll be using 2400. Bullet Lyman 311041 20-22grs of 2400 should I use Dacron filler ?
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Boolit Grand Master

If shooting from the bench I'd suggest inserting the case rim first onto the magazine follower, then lay the cartridge on the follower and press it into the magazine, then close the bolt slowly to keep the powder consistently position in the rear of the case a filler is not needed with that load. Or if just casually shooting where you can orient the powder [such as lifting the muzzle then slowly lowering to shoot] the filler is not needed. However, if shooting at extreme angles up or down or when hunting I'd use a dacron filler.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly, for years the Brit's (UK) had it standard operating procedure to raise the muzzle to the sky -- 12 o'clock high -- before gently lowering it to firing -- e.g., horizontal, give or take -- position, with the purpose of this to formalize powder on primer. Some stories abound with "spotters" looking for the pre-firing raised muzzles to advise shooters where their enemy was.
    I have on occasion, through the years, found a powder-filler called PuffLon to be worth the effort. For me it greatly uniformed a lot of 30 calibre loads, with its only drawback (for me) was the stuff got all over the place when shooting rounds having this additive.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve found no need for fillers using 2400. I shoot up to 200 yd, but mainly up to 100 yd. I shoot the 311291 and 311284.