RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrically fired rifles

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    What's the point? Just buy a cartridge gun and move on.
    Because it would be primarily an interesting engineering exercise. And if you happen to be in a situation where no ammunition was available it might save your neck. But mainly because it's fun to do things others aren't doing. There are a lot of us here making caps and powder because of that. Sure I could go buy a brick of 22's and be done with it but where is the fun in that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Because it would be primarily an interesting engineering exercise. And if you happen to be in a situation where no ammunition was available it might save your neck. But mainly because it's fun to do things others aren't doing. There are a lot of us here making caps and powder because of that. Sure I could go buy a brick of 22's and be done with it but where is the fun in that?
    The Wright brothers were told to just go buy a horse too. People said that if men were supposed to fly, they would have wings! Technology moves forward.

Boolit Master

I have had the same thought over the years did a little work with the electric part of a cigarette lighter it would throw black powder but not light it even confined .
    A lighter has a small piece of clear quarts that is hit with a striker to produce a electric charge . I would think a higher amperage battery powered unit may work if you made the proper arc points in the gun chamber . If you try that route it might be worth looking at starting the front of the charge to see if you get good results .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

What's the point? Just buy a cartridge gun and move on.
    When primers hit $150 or $200 a thousand, the point of an alternate ignition system will become obvious.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure how cost effective the current systems would be for smokeless powder? All of the actual military rounds I have actual experience with used an electronic fired primer in a large system that had a significant power source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_firing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...cal_technology

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/el...-not-lamented/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    When primers hit $150 or $200 a thousand, the point of an alternate ignition system will become obvious.
    Yep, maybe a flint lock.....
    I laid in 20K primers many years ago so I won't be paying those prices. But whatever, have fun with your electric muzzleloader.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    In Brazil we have already paid $300 since the end of the pandemic. I think they are trying to end recharging all over the world.

That does indeed look like the plan, or possibly military contracts are so lucrative that it's not worth making them for civilian use.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    That does indeed look like the plan, or possibly military contracts are so lucrative that it's not worth making them for civilian use.
    No doubt loaded ammo on the retail market generates more a higher profit margin per dollar invested than primers alone. I’m seeing various primer brands around $80 per thousand at some online retailers. As rare as primers are I don’t imagine they’re priced at cost as a loss leader. I’m guessing they are buying them for $50 or $60 tops.

Sounds like in Brazil they want you to use your last primer on yourself.

Boolit Master

I laid in 20K primers many years ago so I won't be paying those prices. But whatever, have fun with your electric muzzleloader.
    If 20K primers have kept you well supplied for both ‘many years’ and the foreseeable future, I guess you don’t have any worries.

Boolit Master
    I see that your profession has been a "full time muzzleloader gun maker" since 1996. How can you discount that there could be an alternate ignition source? I don't understand why anyone would discount methods and methodology that are nuanced.
    A new lever action? A (new to you apparently) ignition system is reprehensive to you?
    I just don't understand why you won't let someone enjoy the new? I have owned more 19th century Winchester's than I can count, and enjoy them to the Nth degree!! But new thoughts on that? I am good with that. Like I said in an earlier post - Teddy Roosevelt had a more advanced rifle than Smith and Wesson has come out with. I would also imagine that an alternate ignition source would have been embraced by the Lewis and Clark expedition (Oh wait....they did).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Electrically fired rifles/pistols.....good for testing questionable firearms and loads!

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I see that your profession has been a "full time muzzleloader gun maker" since 1996. How can you discount that there could be an alternate ignition source? I don't understand why anyone would discount methods and methodology that are nuanced.
    A new lever action? A (new to you apparently) ignition system is reprehensive to you?
    I just don't understand why you won't let someone enjoy the new? I have owned more 19th century Winchester's than I can count, and enjoy them to the Nth degree!! But new thoughts on that? I am good with that. Like I said in an earlier post - Teddy Roosevelt had a more advanced rifle than Smith and Wesson has come out with. I would also imagine that an alternate ignition source would have been embraced by the Lewis and Clark expedition (Oh wait....they did).

I made only high end custom flintlocks. My customers had no interest in electronic guns. If they did I wouldn't make them anyway.

Boolit Master
    Electronic fired BP rifles is something that the guys that are into in lines might like.
    But I too agree that standard BP guns should stay along Traditional levels to maintain the history of that style guns.
    The traditional style rifles don't have to be totally exact to the original guns.
    But some improvements in their designs is very good for making them more reliable at times.
    Like different rifling or maybe sights.

Boolit Master
    Guns and gun powder evolved over time. No one in the 1700's dreamed of shooting a 10" plate at over 1000yd with cartridges ammunition.

Some folks like the older stuff, some like modern stuff, some like a bit of everything.

ML has been 'hijacked' due to hunting regulations and seasons. I would bet that if there were no ML only seasons, then inlines would go away. Same with synthetic stocks and stainless barrels on flintlocks. Electronic ignition is just another of those things. These days it has the added benefit of not needing hard to find caps/primers.

Me? I'm an engineer. I always try to 'fix' things that don't need to be fixed. And, yes, I do think caseless ammo will become standard over time. Or other methods of propelling a projectile. And, yes, small guided projectiles. Pretty soon, our current 'modern' arms will be obsolete as well.

300$ primers here it's a steal,
    but tesla guns...they're not exactly what I dreamed of
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    The problem that electronic ignition systems cure is not a big enough problem to overcome the resistance to change.

We have many current systems in place that work fine and have be in use for a long time and have products in the distribution channels. Anything new has to overcome resistance to change. If 209's and caps go 10x in price maybe things would change.

Kind of the same deal for caseless ammo. If brass prices go 100x caseless ammo would look a lot more attractive. The original Sharps breach loading rifle was caseless. Imagine that rifle with an electronic ignition. Might be cool.

Someone mentioned experimenting with a piezo electric spark ignitor. The tiny one in cigarette lighters or gas grills don't have enough power but if you increase the size of the crystal and the force of the striker the spark gets stronger. I wonder how big it would have to get to work with black powder.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Excellent post!
    Caseless ammunition has a ways to go. I like the idea of electronic priming, but where is the heat sink? Try picking up the first brass fired from a rifle versus the tenth. Not sure how that's going to be mitigated, but I am looking forward to seeing thoughts and aspects on the project that started with the Volcanic about 174 years ago.

Boolit Master
    It's electric, and when you use it flames come shooting out. So, basically it's a Tesla.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    ……I like the idea of electronic priming, but where is the heat sink? Try picking up the first brass fired from a rifle versus the tenth….
    What would a heat sink do in the process?
    The piezoelectric igniter on a gas grill etc just doesn’t produce enough spark IMO. CVA System uses a capacitor powered by a 9 volt battery. Only question I have is the time recharge the capacitor. For a muzzle loader you’re not planning on a fast follow up shot but for a repeater it would be important.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast