RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Buckshot

Boolit Master

Powder Coating Buckshot

I was powder coating some 45/70 bullets last night and had a thought
    Setting there was about 10 lb of #4 buckshot that I had cast a few weeks ago
    I wondered if powder coating would help with the pattern at longer ranges ?
    As I use #4 buckshot when we hunt coyote and being able to get good patterns at 70 - 80 yards is a plus

So I powder coated a hand full of the #4 buckshot

Non of the bullets or the buckshot have even been removed from the baking sheets

But I am wondering if anyone else has tried powder coating buckshot ?

Your thoughts
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I think there was a thread on that exact subject a few weeks ago...

Boolit Master

I saw that post in a search
    But I was looking more at the patterning side

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Wade Rush has some videos on Youtube about powder coated buckshot.
    The channel name is Bubba Rountree Outdoors. Great channel overall, but especially if you're casting and loading buckshot.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

Thanks
    I will look at his channel

John

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I don’t think it would make the pellets harder like nickel plating, but the coating could change fitment in the wad. It might do some voodoo going through the forcing cone or some black magic sliding through the choke! Looking forward to seeing your results!

Do you ever use any buckshot larger than #4? I’m thinking about trying #2 next. BPI buckshot manual shows it fitting in the wads in stacks of four...

I plan to buy one of Marty’s Molds once I settle on a load I like.

Boolit Master

My "Thoughts" are that the powder coating is slick
    So I am hoping it helps with the passing through the choke

No , I just did #4 Buckshot that I cast with a LEE Mold
    As that is what I had handy and I use the most
    I am also about to start testing some 3 1/2" loads of #4 Buckshot

John

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I started at the other end with a Lee 000 mold before I knew any better. Bigger is better, right!?! What I didn’t know before I started loading them was they don’t fit into a shot cup in 12 gauge. So I’m working in the direction from large to small. I bought #1 buckshot to try instead of buying another mold. I’ve thought about the Lee #4 mold, but I think the top cavity gets a pretty big cut from the sprue cutter on 000 and figured it would look even worse on #4. Have you checked the weight difference from the top of the string vs the other two pellets? Is that mold a pain to cast with?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I've found that .31 caliber pellets fit enough different shotcups to do what I want, mainly kill Coyotes. Buffer seems to make more difference past 40 yards than pc does. I've settled on MP molds 8 cavity .310 molds. There's no clipping like Martys' and they really do drop .310. I tumble them in a HF rock tumbler for 12 hours and they are round enough to fly true.

Boolit Master

The #4 LEE Buckshot mold works good
    No clipping needed
    I found my mold produces great round buckshot if I run the mold a bit hotter than some of my steel molds
    Also leave a good puddle of lead on top

I do roll all my buckshot I pour between 2 steel plates
    This sort of smooths off any minor imperfections from where the balls meet

John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    Wade Rush has some videos on Youtube about powder coated buckshot.
    The channel name is Bubba Rountree Outdoors. Great channel overall, but especially if you're casting and loading buckshot.
    Thanks for the tip
    I watched 2 of his videos so far
    I also copied down his 3 1/2" recipes
    As I have everything expect the buffer
    The only thing I will have to change is how much height of 20 gau card wads I use
    As 2 oz of #4 buckshot will not fill the hull as much as the larger buckshot he was using

Thanks
    John

Boolit Master
    surprised you fellas arent using #BB for this job...
    our wallabies run up to 40kgs/100lb and have similar if not heavier muscle structure...lead #2 was far and away the best option on them with BB having SLIGHT edge on longer shots. we tried various buck shot loads but found the more even and dense patterning BB or #2 worked far more reliably..... up close I would back either of those loads against pretty much anything,not a lot I havent shot with #2 lead
    maybe try a duplex with say 4 of your buckshot and remainder of payload BB and see what pattern board tells you??? nothing to loose and it might just be the ducks nuts.

Boolit Master

Milky Duck
    The reason I and a lot of people use #4 Buckshot or even larger , is range
    With #4 buckshot I can harvest a coyote out to 75+ meters ( 80+ yards )
    We many times will get a coyote to stop at 50 to 300 yards out at night as we are calling
    Then they are a easy shot for the person with the rifle , mainly a 223 or 22-250
    But other times the coyote dose not want to come in close and or stop
    So a moving shot is taken with the shotgun
    A few nights ago we were using a coyote challenge call
    Mating season is on , so the males and females drive off or try to kill and other male or pair trying to take their mate or area
    The males would come in to 50 or so yards looking for the other coyote
    Not seeing another coyote they tend to leave FAST
    So as soon as the coyote would stop and start to look around
    One of us would shoot

John

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if the current BPI swaged Buckshot is the same as it used to be. It was able to be Oven heat treated on the old stock bottles that I have.
    That increased the hardness substantially, and reduced deformation.
    I would assume that PC buckshot patterns about the same as copper plated. The core hardness of the pellet is unchanged.
    HT and water dropping changes the structure of the whole pellet.

Just a few thoughts,

Greg 5278

Boolit Master
    My thoughts... Might not help as much as just tumbling in graphite. Here is why I think that... When I tumble my shot I do it with some 45cal balls, these help to round out the shot. It kind beats the flats and points from cutting them from the Lee gang mold round. Sure, the PC could be better than graphite. But you'd need to tumble the balls first. If you're tumbling without graphite I'd be cautious of lead on lead friction creating more than normal amounts of lead dust... Sure I be it could be figured out one way or another. Maybe lubricate the balls before tumbling then soaking in acetone to remove the lube. Just seems like a whole new step that isn't exactly needed or possibly even beneficial... Just my .02
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    Milky Duck
    The reason I and a lot of people use #4 Buckshot or even larger , is range
    With #4 buckshot I can harvest a coyote out to 75+ meters ( 80+ yards )
    We many times will get a coyote to stop at 50 to 300 yards out at night as we are calling
    Then they are a easy shot for the person with the rifle , mainly a 223 or 22-250
    But other times the coyote dose not want to come in close and or stop
    So a moving shot is taken with the shotgun
    A few nights ago we were using a coyote challenge call
    Mating season is on , so the males and females drive off or try to kill and other male or pair trying to take their mate or area
    The males would come in to 50 or so yards looking for the other coyote
    Not seeing another coyote they tend to leave FAST
    So as soon as the coyote would stop and start to look around
    One of us would shoot

John
    ok thanks for that...... try a pattern for grins n giggles I do know the good goose loads would still be rather potent at 50 yards...the heavishot stuff you fellas can get would be a real game changer..I mean if they can shoot canadas at 50 yards with #6 shot a #2 MUST surely be feasable????
    Ive see nwallabies dropped cleanly at 50 yards with lead #2

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    My "Thoughts" are that the powder coating is slick
    So I am hoping it helps with the passing through the choke

No , I just did #4 Buckshot that I cast with a LEE Mold
    As that is what I had handy and I use the most
    I am also about to start testing some 3 1/2" loads of #4 Buckshot

John
    I was just looking at Lee Buckshot molds. They have them listed by diameter, Is #4 0000 buckshot .24?

Boolit Master

Yes 4 Buckshot is .24

John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I was just looking at Lee Buckshot molds. They have them listed by diameter, Is #4 0000 buckshot .24?
    #4 buckshot is 0.24" or 24 caliber.

0000 = 4/0 = 4 "ought" and is 0.38" or 38 caliber.

#4 and 0000 are not the same thing.

Boolit Master

I'm going to be following this thread as I'm always interested in improving patterning of buckshot.

Someone found that it takes something smaller than 00 to fit in a normal shotcup. Single 0 is good there, and patterns better than 00 in most cases. One to consider is #1. They fit in rows of 3 in a heavy walled shotcup. BTW, Cerillos (of NYC stakeout squad) favored #1 for more pellet on target. I killed deer with it with my ML shotgun in SC. Yeah, they were small deer, like boxers with antlers. When it comes to #4, which is often required as minimum by the state (NM isone), works great. The best I've ever fired was the original Hevi Shot T buck. Stuff like that very expensive nowadays. Back to doing the best we can with #4 buck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast