Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Dedicated Snake pistol from parts

Dedicated Snake pistol from parts

So I'v been buying some S&W parts kits from everygunpart and decided to rebuild a M10 with a Victory model barrel and forward frame section from another parts set. The victory model is a Canadian proofed 38 S&W cartridge barrel that I had no luck selling on Ebay so I figured it would make a nice snake bore with its .360 groove diam. Add to that, I reamed it out with a T drill and then spun polished all but about .001 of the lands out so as to not run afoul of a smooth bore NFA pistol reg.
    This first shot is after I mig welded the top strap on. The weld joint is about 1/3 of the way back from the thread head.

Then I fabed up a forward bottom corner out of some miscellaneous steel I had laying around. probably 4140.

Welded & shaped

Most of the grip frame dosent come with the dewat frame so I had to match the grip contour to a new fabed up grip frame section.

I think the Canadian proofs look neat on this Victor 10 snake gun. You can see the frame one by the barrel pin.

After all the final shaping I put the frame in my kiln and roasted it to 1140 F for a couple hours to get rid of the weld stress. Then brought the temp down to 340 F and oil quenched it there just to give it a slight bit tougher skin. The worst case scenario is it could stretch the top strap but I highly doubt that with the rather smooth over sized bore and light loads that will be home made fodder.
    "If" the CCI shot capsule breaks open, I get about a dead on POA pattern of about 4" @ 10 feet. As you all may know, a rifled bore throws the shot out of pattern pretty early leaving you with a wounded snake or missing him all together at anything past 10 feet. This is my idea of the fix!

That is a durn good job of restoring a demilled pistol.
    I thought about Everygunparts but they seem a bit too proud of their stuff to suit me.
    Nice job!

Thanks, Yeah they are ridiculous high. You have to wait for a holiday sale. They used to do sales with free shipping. Thats gone now. 25-40% off sales still happen. Any more GB parts sets sales are getting pretty ridiculous as well.

Boolit Master

I modify .303 brit. for full cylinder length shot shells in my S&W model 29 the shells are just resized in the crimp die .
    I wonder if you could do the same using .350 legend brass ? the shells could either have a rim added or pushed out with a rod.

What I have done is shorten the .303 Brit shells fire formed them (you should not have too) them primed the added powder then .2" card wad on powder with a dowel then shot then over shot wad . In my case I had terrible leading so I then put two wraps of wax paper around a dowel with extra rolled over the bottom. The dowel with wrapping placed in shell over powder wad remove the dowel ad shot press shot so wax paper is pushed against the case side ad a bit more leaving enough room for over shot wad . fold left over wax paper on shot then add thinner over powder wad . A bit of finger nail polish holds it in place so will Elmer's glue .
    For my 44 magnum I get in 180 grains shot (.4 ounce) the wax paper is shredded in the rifling and pattern is about the same as Speer shot capsule . I do not get leading this way . I also tried this in 45-70 rifle the load 7/8 oz. load has about the same pattern density as the ,44 magnum pistol but is MUCH wider so range is still short for such things as snakes .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Bub
    This is a really fantastic build -- I love the balance you hit between practical and creative!