Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Jamb nuts with set screws

Jamb nuts with set screws

Since Lathesmith has retired, the source for jamb nuts with set screws has dried up. Is anyone here making their own? I tried a number of times at tapping the 8-32 thread with the standard pointed tap on my drill press. By the time I get "some" threads cut, there's not enough threads to hold a set screw to lock the nut on a Star punch. The tapered end of a bottom tap is much shorter but I don't have one. Is there anyone who would want to share their process?

I've made bottoming taps by grinding the point off a standard taper tap, not the best but it works.

Boolit Grand Master

modifying a staring tap is more than just grinding the point off. A starting tap has 7-8 threads tapered to start and cut smoothly, A plug tap is 4-5 tapered threads to get closer to the bottom. a bottom tap is 2 threads tapered up to cut closest to the bottom of the hole.
    A 8-32 tap set is around 10-15 dollars for all 3 style taps. Ordering a the 8-32 tap is 5-6 dollars. While taps are considered consumables a properly used and cared for tap will cut a lot of threads. This includes using the correct tap drill.
    Using a bottom tap from the start will be very tough as the chip load is very heavy on the short taper. While going in with a starting or plug may not give full threads it removes and eases the chip load on the bottom tap.
    Order a tap set from Mc Master Carr, Grainger, or other tool supplier. Some cutting oil/fluid.
    Disassemble the nut from the part and your tapping a thru hole instead of a blind hole. Apply the cutting fluid then start the tap into the hole. rotate and break chip until to depth if needed finish with the bottom tap.

Vendor Sponsor
    I am making these. Pm me

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    I am making these. Pm me
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sea...rchid=10543760

Moderator Emeritus
    Didn’t your tap just go into the space in the center of the nut? A normal tap should work fine since it isn’t a blind hole you are tapping.

I changed my process since I started this thread. I was using my big drill press. There's way too much spring tension to let the chuck retract without tearing out the threads I just made. I drilled the hole, then removed the belt off the pulleys and turned the chuck by hand to make the threads (or turned the pulley by hand). I then released the tap from the chuck and screwed it out of the nut by hand with a tap wrench. I ended up with 9 perfect jamb nuts with set screws out of the 10 I purchased. Now I see Ammohead is making these nuts with set screws. I'll be giving him some size die business now though.
    Last edited by bosterr; 03-20-2024 at 04:40 PM.

Moderator Emeritus
    On that small and short a thread, a cordless drill with the tap chucked does a great job. Hit the reverse switch and the tap will back right out. About 10 seconds to tap each hole.