Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Original Dixie Tri-Ball Load?

Boolit Mold

Original Dixie Tri-Ball Load?

Hello,

While doing a Google search I found a post that claimed James Gates posted his Dixie Tri-Ball load data somewhere on this site. I have looked for it using the search function, as well as an "advanced" Google search, but I am not able to find it. I found some threads by people who used and tested it, but not the original post.

Can somebody please point me to that original post/load data?

Thank You!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ball+revisited

Here’s one thread I saved. Not the first obviously.

Post #5 in the thread has the load data you are seeking.
    Last edited by Barry54; 01-21-2024 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Mold
    Thank you very much to both of you for the information! I need to brush up on my searching skills, don't know how I missed those.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsive View Post
    Thank you very much to both of you for the information! I need to brush up on my searching skills, don't know how I missed those.
    You’re welcome. Glad to have you here. Hope you stick around. We would love to hear your results!

I just got my 0.600 mold and wads from precision reloading last week. Waiting for 3” hulls from BPI. They have been on the fedex truck “out for delivery” since 3 am Wednesday. Maybe today will be my lucky day?

Don’t feel bad about the search feature. Half the time I find what I want searching the web and going to this site from a web search better than using the search feature on this site. I’m not a computer guru and don’t care to be one either...

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you are very welcome! Like Barry54 I often just google what I want with Cast Boolits in the search. Often I get more that way than with the internal search.

I can't offer any first hand experience because I have not loaded any Tri-Ball loads yet. I have collected load data and posts but haven't taken the plunge.

Longbow

Boolit Man
    I have loaded many tri ball. My advice is use the exact components he did. Mine were very stout. I recommend you use a heavy gun and be prepared for heavy recoil. This load will drop an elephant. I cast my .600 balls from clip on w.w. and water drench. That is the key to tight patterns.

Boolit Master
    Try to hold the overall length of the Tri-Ball 3" Buckshot under the spec length of 2.760" which is the industry standard for 12 ga 3" with a rolled crimp.
    Last edited by RMc; 02-28-2024 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by savage308 View Post
    I have loaded many tri ball. My advice is use the exact components he did. Mine were very stout. I recommend you use a heavy gun and be prepared for heavy recoil. This load will drop an elephant. I cast my .600 balls from clip on w.w. and water drench. That is the key to tight patterns.
    I have tried these in a VR80 shot gun.
    IN MY gun 25 yards or less minute of deer or hog. 50 yards no joy, but I am still playing around with the load. If I can't get good groups with the VR80, I will move onto the 870 or Mossberg 500. All are smooth bore.

The three balls hitting, a ten inch gong is very nice!

Stout, is the correct terminology!

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Try to hold the overall length of the Tri-Ball 3" Buckshot under the spec length of 2.760" which is the industry standard for 12 ga 3" with a rolled crimp.
    Is this with a full length 3" hull? Do we need to trim them down?

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36D34328-2C7E-466F-9FB9-AB0C896256AF.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	323998
    Quote Originally Posted by Faret View Post
    Is this with a full length 3" hull? Do we need to trim them down?
    You won’t have anything to roll crimp if you trim them down. I cracked a clear overshot disc trying to get them short enough. Went and looked at the data more carefully and saw it called for a card wad. That did the trick!

Boolit Master
    A few further thoughts.

The 2.760"industry maximum length for 12 ga 3" with a rolled crimp, has been around for a long time. Shotguns like the 870 have the action length to easily handle shotshells made to that length. These voluntary standards are not a guarantee that all 3 inch chambered repeaters and autoloaders will feed shells loaded to the longer roll crimp length standard. The Win. 1200 magnum and later 1300 series pump shotguns are an early example of repeaters that would only feed shells made to the shorter fold crimp 3" load length standard.

Some tips you may find helpful include:

- Insure your shells have a well formed crimp radius, such as formed by a spinning crimp finisher die.

-Make sure your tube fed magazing spring is not weak / worn out.

- If needed you can use slightly smaller balls , such as a .595" diameter.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/3/lee-595-dc

- Use hard lead alloy (18+ brinell works well) 94%-3%-3% bullet alloy, very similar to WW with 2% tin added, (previously known as Electrotype). These air cool to approximately 16 BHN and water quench to approximately 18+ BHN.

- Pattern test using a standing benchrest.
    Last edited by RMc; 03-01-2024 at 04:21 PM.