Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 to .256

I'm thinking that the crimp line will act like a checkbook burst perforating line, break off the neck and stick in the chamber eventually.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

When I got my 256 win Contender barrel I could not afford form dies so I lube up some once fired 357 cases with Lee sizing lube and slowly ran them into the 256 die doing it in stages with lube in between . I had about a 5% failure rate but I had brass to reload! Have fun with it. Mine liked the noe 70 gr cast. Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    I'm thinking that the crimp line will act like a checkbook burst perforating line, break off the neck and stick in the chamber eventually.
    I recall being cautioned about that in 6 mm Lee Navy and 225 Winchester. I'll bet I have 10+ loads out of all of that regardless of if that line is there or not.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I, too anneal my cases before forming and rarely have any issues. I have also experienced the fact that Contender barrels in the 256 WM do not do well with heavy boolits. Fun little cartridge, for sure!

Boolit Mold
    The 256 WM is another of those great forgotten cartridges. I had a Contender in that caliber. It was great for jack rabbits with the 60 grain bullets. Mine liked the 87 grainers and was a killer on javelina. I used it to shoot metallic silhouettes and it would knock everything over, if I did my part. Had to hit the rams high. There was gentleman at the last gun show I went to that had a custom B78/1885 in 256 win with dies and brass for sale. I'm regretting now that I didn't grab it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I scrounged a set of 256 forming dies and they work fine with brass or nickel cases.
    Yeah, me too. Heard that the Nickel cases were tough too but necked them down to a .30 cal in a pistol die first. Can't remember which one but think it was a Mauser pistol. They came out fine actually.

Boolit Buddy
    Following this thread with great interest as I just started with Contenders. I have always been interested in the Marlin 62 in .256 Winchester so after getting the Contender I have been looking at barrels in .256 but the brass situation has had me reluctant to get one but now I think I might just have to get me one!

Boolit Master

you can also use 360dw brass just like grumpa did
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I just annealed and reformed 70 mixed .357 brass to .256 with NO losses.
    Thanks, TxCowboy52!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123