Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My homemade Golden powder!

Once it's a golden color it's almost done and is a thick sticky mass. You're not going to mix anything into it. Have to add the iron oxide at the beginning before everything is dissolved in the water. Of course that won't dissolve but it will get intimately mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Hope to see some range reports.
    I will second that motion. Hopefully somebody will provide some chronograph data.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Hey come on!
    Your not using the same pan your wife cooks eggs on are ‘Yu
    Induction or gas burner?

I suppose.
    does it matter?

Is the ratio by volume or weight?

Following
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-26-2024 at 02:39 AM.

By weight.
    Pan is easy to clean up, what is left over dissolves in water with a little soaking. Standard electric stove here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Hey come on!
    Your not using the same pan your wife cooks eggs on are ‘Yu
    Induction or gas burner?

I suppose.
    does it matter?

Is the ratio by volume or weight?

Following
    Using your wife's pan can be more dangerous than making nitroglycerin. But if you can reach an agreement, there is no problem using the kitchen pan, the two ingredients are not poisonous, any residue is not a problem. However, there is no residue left, as it is completely soluble in water... this water is also an excellent fertilizer for your wife's flowers. Waiting for Nobade's tests.

Boolit Buddy

My GP ingredients are on the way!! Hope to be able to cook some by the end of next week.

Looking forward to a range report.

I tried the latest batch of GP in my 1911 45 acp today. It would cycle enough to cock the hammer but not eject or pick up a new round. It was reasonably accurate, made great smoke, and didn't lead the barrel even though I was using some commercial dry lubed bullets. If I had a really light spring like we used to use in the bullseye wadcutter days, it might have worked but I have a pretty stout spring in it now. Once I make some crimson powder I'll try it again and see if it makes enough power.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I tried the latest batch of GP in my 1911 45 acp today. It would cycle enough to cock the hammer but not eject or pick up a new round. It was reasonably accurate, made great smoke, and didn't lead the barrel even though I was using some commercial dry lubed bullets. If I had a really light spring like we used to use in the bullseye wadcutter days, it might have worked but I have a pretty stout spring in it now. Once I make some crimson powder I'll try it again and see if it makes enough power.
    Very cool!
    Looking forward to the crimson results.

Glad to hear of your results.

Boolit Buddy
    what size are you using? 2F, 3F, 4F? In a short weapon like this pistol, the ideal is 4F. Is it maximally compacted when loading the cartridge? The guy from TP's BP channel has a video in which he even uses a press to load .303 cartridges

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    what size are you using? 2F, 3F, 4F? In a short weapon like this pistol, the ideal is 4F. Is it maximally compacted when loading the cartridge? The guy from TP's BP channel has a video in which he even uses a press to load .303 cartridges
    It's a mix. Mostly fine powder. I am going to try making pucks with it like I do with black powder, to get the density up. I think the problem with cartridges is you just can't get enough of it in there. It weighs barely half of what black powder does, and performed about like a half charge of black. I still don't know how to apply the dextrin, I'm guessing to add it to the water when it's being cooked but that might just make a sticky mess. Going to try making some today so I'll know a little more eventually.

Boolit Master
    I tried some in 6 cases of 310 cadet.
    Filled to top then seated bullets.
    Weighted the charge of 12 grains of the fine powder I made.
    Next I tried filling the case then tapping on bench then refilling.
    Not a hard compression but 14-15 grains?
    Apparently 16 grains of black =@1300 fps with a 120 grn bullet.
    Thought I may get 8-1000fps.
    Had 1 squib load and when I opened the action, the case and effluent flew out. At least the case and bullet formed a good seal.
    The other 5 were pretty docile with a little white plume of smoke.
    I gather 4-500fps.
    May up the charge to see how much I can get in there.
    All good.
    I may have not baked it enough but looked a light yellow tinge to it.
    I may have to recalibrate my freckle puckering safety valve and bake it to a more honeycomb colour.
    But survived the first small experimental batch and have a better feel for it I think.

I’ll plead ignorance and beg for forgiveness if the better half discovers my new interest in the cook top.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-28-2024 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I tried some in 6 cases of 310 cadet.
    Filled to top then seated bullets.
    Weighted the charge of 12 grains of the fine powder I made.
    Next I tried filling the case then tapping on bench then refilling.
    Not a hard compression but 14-15 grains?
    Apparently 16 grains of black =@1300 fps with a 120 grn bullet.
    Thought I may get 8-1000fps.
    Had 1 squib load and when I opened the action, the case and effluent flew out. At least the case and bullet formed a good seal.
    The other 5 were pretty docile with a little white plume of smoke.
    I gather 4-500fps.
    May up the charge to see how much I can get in there.
    All good.
    I may have not baked it enough but looked a light yellow tinge to it.
    I may have to recalibrate my freckle puckering safety valve and bake it to a more honeycomb colour.
    But survived the first small experimental batch and have a better feel for it I think.

I’ll plead ignorance and beg for forgiveness if the better half discovers my new interest in the cook top.
    Sounds like you are following the same path as I did. Once I finally got comfortable with aggressively cooking it, I got better results. This morning I made my first batch of crimson powder. I agree with the previous poster who said learn to make golden powder first. This stuff doesn't change color once it's done but once you know what to look for you can tell. I flashed some and it is every bit as fast as black powder and didn't burn the paper it was on, like good black. I'll shoot some today and see how it does.

Keep it away from kids! It looks just like chocolate sprinkles. I doubt it tastes very good though.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I just loaded five rounds of 45 acp with 1.6cc of the new crimson powder, and every round cycled the action and was plenty accurate. These feel about like my regular black powder loads and are quite energetic. Fouling is slightly more than the golden powder, the cases had some black flakes in them but they still clean right up with water. One patch moistened with moose milk followed by a dry patch cleaned the barrel. No leading despite the dry lubed bullets. This is getting interesting!

As an aside, it is lightly raining, 50 deg, and about 100% humidity. The smoke is excellent! I lit off what was left of my first attempt at golden powder all in one pile, and it smoked up the whole neighborhood for quite a while. They're going to wonder what I am up to here.

Nobade, Thanks for the report. So your crimson powder was not "pucked" to up the density?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostinidaho View Post
    Nobade, Thanks for the report. So your crimson powder was not "pucked" to up the density?
    No, just crumbled up and run through the coffee grinder.

Boolit Buddy
    No, just crumbled up and run through the coffee grinder.
    So all you have is 5F. I did nime int eh same grinder I did black powder pucks in so I have the other sizes too, but maybe 40% of what I get is the same 5F. I'm headed to the range in a few minutes to do another test.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone checked to make sure the golden powder with the iron nitrate in not Impact Sensitive.
    I would hate to see you guys try to puck it up.
    And it acts like primer powder.
    I am probably totally wrong.
    But safety comes first.

Not iron nitrate but iron oxide III - red rust.
    I did try beating some with a hammer and had no effect on it other than making it really small. Seems to be pretty inert until exposed to flame.

I saw some Shooter's World substitute black powder the other day, and it looks black. I suspect they are adding charcoal to it, don't know if that would help anything or not. They say they buy it from American Pioneer so it is essentially what we're making here.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast