Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My homemade Golden powder!

Good advice. For the record, I didn't mix the ingredients dry but did dissolve them in water then cook it to drive that off. My mistake was stopping too soon, before it turned colors. And the video gave me the idea to break it up while it's still hot instead of letting it cool in one big pile. That makes it a lot easier to grind up. I am going to try pressing it into a puck next time to see if I can get the density up. As you mentioned, dextrin works as a binder and so does rice gluetin, at least for black powder.

If you go to the video then click on CLOSED CAPTIONING at the bottom of the screen Youtube will translate it into English from the Portugese. The translation leaves much to be desired and not all words make any sense as this is a somewhat esoteric subject. But it helps provide more clarity as to what is going on.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Good advice. For the record, I didn't mix the ingredients dry but did dissolve them in water then cook it to drive that off. My mistake was stopping too soon, before it turned colors. And the video gave me the idea to break it up while it's still hot instead of letting it cool in one big pile.
    I did that too and now have a bunch of light grey stuff that doesn't work very well. Letting it get to the point where its a blob of bread dough took more nerve than I had at the time. However I don't find the one big pile to really be an issue, just spread it out on some nonstick surface and breaking it up should be no more difficult than with regular pucks.

I think that this is a start to a great thread.

I've explored the idea of running BP in a 45acp 1911. There's enough case capacity to load cartridges that will cycle the gun properly, but blackpowder fouling builds quickly and brings the gun to a halt in relatively short order (30 rounds or less). I'm very interested in this new-to-me golden powder in a 1911. A glock is a worthy candidate also.

Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    I've explored the idea of running BP in a 45acp 1911. There's enough case capacity to load cartridges that will cycle the gun properly, but blackpowder fouling builds quickly and brings the gun to a halt in relatively short order (30 rounds or less). I'm very interested in this new-to-me golden powder in a 1911. A glock is a worthy candidate also.
    Maybe find better bullet lube? I had no problem running 50 rounds of BP 45 ACP through my 1911. It's a real hoot at IDPA matches. Unless you change the barrel on the Glock I doubt it would be all that fun. But yes, golden powder should be way easier to manage since there's essentially no fouling.

Boolit Master
    I wish that the video was in ENGLISH. is there any one in ENGLISH?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I wish that the video was in ENGLISH. is there any one in ENGLISH?
    Do like me, use YouTube's own automatic translation. I watch videos from all countries using this feature. It's not 100% but it's enough to understand. I'm Brazilian, this video is in my language, Portuguese. If you have any questions, please ask, I will be happy to answer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    The secret to using BP and GP in automatic weapons is to use the heaviest projectiles possible, the inertia of these heavy projectiles makes the action of pistols easier.

Boolit Buddy

Temperature Celsius °C
    The temperature is not a problem, I just measured it so you can see that when the water dries, the temperature rises and the color changes. just be guided by the color.

After reaching the color, taking it off the stove, continuing to stir is good, as it avoids forming a single, hard cake. This way it is already fragmented, you can even use it like that.
    Last edited by Sandro_ventania; 01-23-2024 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy

5-grain burn test on white paper to observe residue. 3 proportions 60-40, 62.5-37.5 and 65-35. And the comparison with BP. Which do you think is the best?

I don't think the bullets I was using carried enough lube. Still shopping for the most reasonably priced .454 mold with a generous grease groove.

Great point about bullet weight as it relates to cycling the action in an auto loader, Sandro.
    Also, excellent photo documentation of the cooking process. It looks like the 65/35 or 62.5/37.5 are giving the fastest and most uniform burn?

Boolit Buddy
    I would say that at 60-40 there is a little fuel left...the black traces indicate fuel that has not completely burned. The 65-35 is the opposite... it seems like the oxidizer is left over. Perhaps a 63-37 would be a good point... but only practical tests in the field, preferably with a chronograph, can reveal that. The good thing about the ease of producing GP is that we can do small, multiple batches of tests. These lots only have 100 grains!
    Just one thing I forgot and someone might have questions. The amount of water is 100% of the solids

Boolit Master
    65/35 looks the best to me, but I've never made any, or shot any. The Black looks a little rich to me. Maybe a slight increase on the Oxidizer would clean it up. Given the looks of the three GP's, I would be for trying one of 66/34, or even 67/33. At some point, you should definitely be able to see unburnt KNO3 in white balls. I may not see the picture as well as you can see the actual paper. If you can see the KNO3 on the 65/35, then my point is mute.
    Great job and nice thread, Sandro!

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope they make this a sticky. Even though I do not use BP guns, this kind of stuff in interesting and could be more important down the road. Nice to have options.

About the only thing I have that could be shot with BP is 12 ga. Maybe the .30/30's?

Hope to see some range reports.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I hope they make this a sticky. Even though I do not use BP guns, this kind of stuff in interesting and could be more important down the road. Nice to have options.

About the only thing I have that could be shot with BP is 12 ga. Maybe the .30/30's?

Hope to see some range reports.
    Make a little to use at 30-30, no need to worry about fouling. If you use lead bullets, you can use regular lubricant. You will feel so much joy wearing something you made yourself! And it's so easy to buy the products and do the GP that I don't see why not try it! Difficult times can come at any time!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    65/35 looks the best to me, but I've never made any, or shot any. The Black looks a little rich to me. Maybe a slight increase on the Oxidizer would clean it up. Given the looks of the three GP's, I would be for trying one of 66/34, or even 67/33. At some point, you should definitely be able to see unburnt KNO3 in white balls. I may not see the picture as well as you can see the actual paper. If you can see the KNO3 on the 65/35, then my point is mute.
    Great job and nice thread, Sandro!
    No... none of them have white balls of potassium nitrate. It is possible to test other proportions, but what looks best will not always be best on the gun barrel. As for BP...I use 76-15-9.

2TM101 or others using dextrin, do you add it to the water when the powder is being cooked? Or afterward? I am going to try making a puck of it with my new press die this weekend. I also got my bag of rust in the mail yesterday so I'll try some crimson powder as well. Curious to see if it will cycle my 1911.

Boolit Man
    I have never made any and from what I can read it seems the trick is to cook till you get that golden color. Question is if cooked to golden color then add your iron oxide cooking just a tad bit more till the iron oxide completely mixes in will that work? Seems to me the iron oxide does not react to those temps so all you doing is mixing it in completely.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast