Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: My homemade Golden powder!

Boolit Master
    Very interesting.
    This looks like something I will try to make.
    I also want to show a couple of friends how this basic powder is done.
    Plus , they do not have all the finer tools to be making top of the line BP.
    So this looks like a great option for them to use.

Super Sneaky Steve--good video

Agreed, thanks for making the video. I'm not sure how much difference sorting it by size makes, the accuracy I saw yesterday with the 30-30 tends to make me think that it doesn't matter much. More testing is needed.

Boolit Master

Although I have not tried to return the fines to the next solution, I would think that the fines should dissolve in your next batch on the stove.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Very good video and very good result. I try to make it a little clearer...a fine adjustment of the proportion would be 63-37. As for grain, I would only do two classes... up to 3F for muskets and everything else for rifles under .45 and pistols. (If you don't want to do it like this, you can dissolve the fines in a little hot water and dry it to become a hard cake again, you can also save it to add to the next batch). However, the ideal is to test, do several tests with the granulations and find out if it makes a difference like the BP. GP has been exploited commercially and we are only now bringing it to DIY. Let's help spread the word. We await the video with the shots!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Very cool!! My son will be very interested. We were talking about homemade powder the other day.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    Very good video and very good result. I try to make it a little clearer...a fine adjustment of the proportion would be 63-37. As for grain, I would only do two classes... up to 3F for muskets and everything else for rifles under .45 and pistols. (If you don't want to do it like this, you can dissolve the fines in a little hot water and dry it to become a hard cake again, you can also save it to add to the next batch). However, the ideal is to test, do several tests with the granulations and find out if it makes a difference like the BP. GP has been exploited commercially and we are only now bringing it to DIY. Let's help spread the word. We await the video with the shots!
    I grind, sort and use my GP/CP the same way I do BP. In both cases the fines can be made back into a puck/cake and ground again. When I get to the point where the amount of fines I have left isn't enough to bother with I do something creative with it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    I grind, sort and use my GP/CP the same way I do BP. In both cases the fines can be made back into a puck/cake and ground again. When I get to the point where the amount of fines I have left isn't enough to bother with I do something creative with it.
    Is that super fine stuff suitable for flash pan powder or is it too fine?

Quote Originally Posted by libertyman777 View Post
    I tried it in the pan, it works but is noticeably slower than black powder.

Banned

Is this powder sensitive to impact? Black powder is not, and you can pound out hollow core rocket engines with Black Powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Is this powder sensitive to impact? Black powder is not, and you can pound out hollow core rocket engines with Black Powder.
    I smacked it concrete with a claw hammer and nothing happened.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    No, and you can compress it to 40,000 PSI, which is a 20 ton press and a 30mm puck, and nobody does that.

EDIT: apparently someone on here DID do that, and the 30mm Dabpress die did not survive for very long.
    Last edited by 2TM101; 03-07-2024 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Learned someone DID do that
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by libertyman777 View Post
    Basically no. Its another Black Powder substitute, and it behaves like one, even the Crimson stuff.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Master

I tested some stove-top cooked Golden Powder under the Chronograph today. Fired two cylinders full out of my Pietta 1851 .36 cal. Navy using an 80gr. ball. Caps were my home made caps and had no difficulty igniting any of the 12 shots.

Golden Powder 3F Ave. 568 fps. with an ES of 56 fps. SD of 20 fps. I topped off cylinders, compressed with ram, re-filled cylinders and seated ball. Did not weigh or measure the Golden Powder loads. This Golden Powder does shoot very clean. Might make some good plinking powder. The accuracy was noticeably decent.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Hamgunner,
    Just to clarify: You filled the chambers, then used the rammer to compress the powder then aded more and seated the ball?
    That's what I used to do with Black Canyon in .357 cases which I believe was the very first BP substitute powder on the market.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro_ventania View Post
    My friend Ofitg reminded me of this site that Nobade had posted before, in the black powder topic. There he shows a method to be reproductive, so that we always have a powder with the same characteristics. Note in the article that, based on the tests they carried out, the GP performed the same or even 10% better than the BP... it has some very interesting test data. It is worth reading the article carefully. I just wouldn't worry about using potassium bicarbonate...in this case the proportion used was 62.7 nitrate and 37.3 ascorbic acid....63 and 37 for simplicity. I tested this proportion and found it really good. Simply dissolve in hot water and dry in an oven at 120°C. Read!

https://pyrodata.com/PyroGuide/index...den_Powder.htm
    I read the link and it says: "Heat the solution to 600C to completely dissolve the solids." That's 1112 degrees F! That's almost hot enough to melt aluminum.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    Basically no. Its another Black Powder substitute, and it behaves like one, even the Crimson stuff.
    Ah ok. Well at least it can be reprocessed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Hamgunner,
    Just to clarify: You filled the chambers, then used the rammer to compress the powder then aded more and seated the ball?
    That's what I used to do with Black Canyon in .357 cases which I believe was the very first BP substitute powder on the market.
    Yes, that's right. Topped each chamber and compressed with the ram and topped again before ramming in the ball. Likely enough room for perhaps another few grains, but it was fairly well compressed.

Crimson Powder is my next adventure. Waiting on delivery of some Red Iron Oxide.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I read the link and it says: "Heat the solution to 600C to completely dissolve the solids." That's 1112 degrees F! That's almost hot enough to melt aluminum.
    There are some writing errors, easily identified. Where it says 600°c is 60°c. Elsewhere it says 200°c, but it is 120°c.

Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    I tested some stove-top cooked Golden Powder under the Chronograph today. Fired two cylinders full out of my Pietta 1851 .36 cal. Navy using an 80gr. ball. Caps were my home made caps and had no difficulty igniting any of the 12 shots.

Golden Powder 3F Ave. 568 fps. with an ES of 56 fps. SD of 20 fps. I topped off cylinders, compressed with ram, re-filled cylinders and seated ball. Did not weigh or measure the Golden Powder loads. This Golden Powder does shoot very clean. Might make some good plinking powder. The accuracy was noticeably decent.
    Thanks for the chrono data!

Golden Powder might be comparable to Black Powder in rifles (still waiting for chrono reports), but it sounds like it could be too slow-burning for pistols. Perhaps adding iron oxide would speed up the combustion?
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast