Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 300 blackout AR15 will it cycle subsonics?

Ruger 300 blackout AR15 will it cycle subsonics?

The gun shop has a ruger ar556 16" carbine chambered 300 blackout. They want $840 for the rifle. Is this a good deal?

I like the rifle.

Will this rifle cycle 225 grain powder coat noe bullets with 10 grains of h110?

This is the real question. I don't want it if it won't work with my powder coated lead handloads.

Also...
    Will it beat up or break my carefully prepared brass with the operation cycle??

Also... what is the best brass catcher for this gun??

Note.. got a bunch of 300 blk 20 and 30 round magpul magazines for the ruger ranch carbine.

Got a set of troy folding iron sights setting around doing nothing also.

All the brass from shooting the other night is clean, and ready to begin processing.

Might go cast a bunch of bullets and think about this some...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Vendor Sponsor

220gr spbt over 9.2gr H110, CCI 450 magnum primer works well for me, it really wants a suppressor. Hodgdon says 28,800psi but 10gr is a bit over max.

I should also add that this load with 220gr spbt (soft point boat tail) bullet over 9.2gr H110 is optimized for a complete powder burn in a 10.5" barrel.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-22-2024 at 02:33 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    220gr spbt over 9.2gr H110 works well for me, Hodgdon says 28,800psi but 10gr is a bit over max.
    Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I would say buy it if it tickles your fancy!! It should cycle your loads just fine. If not? You're out a buffer and /or a gas block.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    220gr spbt over 9.2gr H110 works well for me, it really wants a suppressor. Hodgdon says 28,800psi but 10gr is a bit over max.
    9.2 of H110 with 220 gr and a suppressor works well for me also. Hardly as loud as a .22.

Price sounds high, I would think a decent AR could be built for not much more than half that.

Boolit Master

300blk is optimized with pistol gas system for subs, even better suppressed.
    Not much to it building an AR with good DIY videos out there, & you can customize to your liking for a lot less. Adjustable gas block is a plus but not a must.
    I use at least 190g PC boolits with can in front of 5744 or 1680, but 110 or 296 works too. The heavier the bullet the better the cycling. I use heavy buffer.
    For supers 110g is the chosen j-word by hunters.
    YMMV
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Can I build different uppers and they can all fit the same lower?

Boolit Buddy
    You bet, they are addicting!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’ll concur with the pistol length gas system for making subsonics run. Regardless of barrel length.

Do not like pistol or carbine gas tube setups, on a 16" barrel, prefer mid length rifle gas tubes on a 16".
    I get ARs in my shop frequently that do not function and 90% are guns with short gas tubes on rifle length barrels. The local gun stores sell new AR owners a bill of goods about short barrels and short gas tubes. However, a 16" barrel on an AR is not a carbine or pistol length barrel, it is a standard rifle length barrel for an M-4 just for example. So the tube length that works best on a 16" barrel is a mid length rifle tube.
    The 300 BO uses the exact same gas tube setup as the 223/5,56, by the 300's original design. Only a barrel change. Changing that tube length can have consequences, like a failure to function, even with factory ammo.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Do not like pistol or carbine gas tube setups, on a 16" barrel, prefer mid length rifle gas tubes on a 16".
    I get ARs in my shop frequently that do not function and 90% are guns with short gas tubes on rifle length barrels. The local gun stores sell new AR owners a bill of goods about short barrels and short gas tubes. However, a 16" barrel on an AR is not a carbine or pistol length barrel, it is a standard rifle length barrel for an M-4 just for example. So the tube length that works best on a 16" barrel is a mid length rifle tube.
    The 300 BO uses the exact same gas tube setup as the 223/5,56, by the 300's original design. Only a barrel change. Changing that tube length can have consequences, like a failure to function, even with factory ammo.
    I also prefer mid-length gas system on a 5.56 16” barrel.

On 300 Whisper/Blackout, I will only purchase barrels with pistol length gas systems. 300 has a higher expansion ratio and uses faster powder as well, compared to 556/223.

Research is cheap. Do your homework and make an informed decision you will be happy with.

Vendor Sponsor

Recycled bullet,

Go to PSA Palmetto State Armory and choose your components. You want a universal lower which has no marking for pistol or rifle, you can buy a complete assembled lower from them, or you can buy just the receiver, then buy the enhanced trigger group, nickel boron bolt carrier, and assemble it yourself. It's probably easier to buy a barreled upper and then a handguard, and you can also find one already assembled with a handguard. PSA gives some good prices on their semi assembled pieces, and their sales are definitely to be watched.

See what you can come away with pricewise from PSA, and compare that to your $849 LGS price.

You could also shop around and see what price other dealers will sell the same exact model Ruger rifle for.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

Lots of good info here. My son gave me a "Brass Goat" shell catcher that works well for me. Can be used with box or remove box and it deflects them straight down. GW

Boolit Bub
    Just had an 8.5 blackout upper delivered yesterday from PSA. A daily deal for $299.

Sometimes building your own can be problematic.
    I put one together in 5.56 all from discrete parts.
    Well... it wouldn't cycle.
    After tearing it apart I found the gas hole was not drilled all the way thru to the bore.
    Drilled it and put it all back together.
    So far, have not tested it.
    Guess it is not a big priority.

Boolit Master

Buds Gun Shop can beat that price, but not by much when you add in a transfer fee. I'd say that's a reasonable price for a local gun store. Plus you get somebody to talk to face to face if you have a defective gun.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    You need a pistol length gas block to function with subsonics, looks like the pic shows that. I put together a AR 300BO for a guy last week, got the Bear Creek Arsenal upper with the pistol length gas system, and a Palmetto lower the guy ordered for $350 and tax total rifle cost, added a Sig Buckmaster 3x9x40 for $100. It shot sub MOA as they guarantee them to with factory ammo, cycled subs ad 115 gr supersonics fine. That is the 20th upper of various calibers I have bought from BCA with no issues, and they all have shot between 3/4" and 1" groups with factory ammo. Cant say enough good stuff about them. A buddy got a .308 upper from them with a scratch in the chamber, that delayed extraction. A quick call had a free shipping pick up tag printed out, and in 10 days he had a new upper that functions and shoots great in his hands.

Boolit Buddy
    A search on gundeals showed locked and loaded has one for $704.95

Build your own, pistol gas or get the PSA one. IIRC Ruger used Ruger only parts.
    EDIT: long barrel is not an advantage in BO. I have an 18" 1:10 twist useful powders are spent (no increase in fps) by then. Carbine gas/buffer system for that length. For subs, go to much shorter and pistol gas (SBR).
    Last edited by popper; 01-25-2024 at 07:19 PM.
    Whatever!

Amazing you guys are literally bursting with information. Building my own repeating rifle is something that I have had interest in for a while. My recent success with the magazine feed Noe 225 grain cast lead bullets through the Ruger American Ranch has really showed me that I'm much closer to this working in an auto loader then I was previously aware of. What I liked about the Ruger was how it felt in my hand, and I'm sure that I could do a better job especially to fit my limitations. I think what I need is an adjustable gas block with a pistol length gas tube to increase the dwell time. Then some adjustable weights and spring rate for the buffer and Bolt. How long can a barrel be made for an AR-15? I like long Barrel rifles and the cast bullets heated up very slowly. I understand this is apples and oranges but I was shooting my CZ 457 Jaguar 22LR recently and with CCI subsonic 22LR it is completely hearing safe from my vantage as the shooter. It does not ring my ears I do not find it any way to be unpleasant. And on the flip side I can clap my hands together in front of my face loud enough to ring my ears! How long can a barrel be made on an AR-15 rifle as a sound mitigation strategy? Everything I see is 16-in or 20 in. I would like 30 inch barrel but I don't see that happening outside of a custom proposition. Thank you all for your responses I am learning a lot from you guys and it is clear that I did not even know enough to ask the right questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast