Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Your accuracy experience with the MP HG#50 HBWC 38 Or 357 mold

Boolit Buddy

Your accuracy experience with the MP HG#50 HBWC 38 Or 357 mold

Preparing to do some casting with the MP 4 cavity HG#50 mold. It has the option of solid and (2) hollow base configurations.

I'm sure I'll wind up casting all (3) eventually...but was wondering if anyone has already tried the various configurations.

Mold:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-hg50-hbwc-38-357/

Boolit Master

I have an actual H&G #50 ten cavity mold - my experience is only with the solids, and they're great economy plinking bullet

I do have MP's MKII and MKIV .455 Webley hollow base molds. The Webley MKVI revolver was designed with an odd arrangement of the cylinder throats being cut deliberately smaller than the gun's groove diameter, so it's a system that really wants the expanding Minie Ball expanding skirt effect. My general attitude is that if the gun has a combination of variables that require a hollow base, you'll have the option and the MP system for making them is top notch - - but if the solid's diameter fits and performs in your revolver, they're easier to cast.

Also, the hollow base limits the intensity of load you can fire. . .BUT - you can turn them around and use your small cavity as a "controlled expansion" hollowpoint, and use the deep cavity as your splatmaster. Nothing attracts new shooters to the sport like water bottles in front of the splatmaster.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    HG #50 10 cavity was my first mold. Out of a Clark - 50 shots into 3-3 1/2" at 50 yards IIRC.

But the 148 Remington HBWC was better - 2 1/2" for 50 shots at 50 yards.

Both loads with 2.7 gr of BE

If I had your mold, if looking for maximum accuracy, I would cast the HBWC out of soft alloy to get the skirt to expand a bit and keep pressures low enough not to blow it off.
    But it would depend on how finicky the mold was casting HB.

I could cast 1000 an hour with the 10 cavity.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I have some Bayou 138gr BNWC (Hi-Tek) that are getting 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards DA/red dot through my revolver. Loading for a 125K power factor. Noticed that the Bayou bullet drops right in the MP mold..obviously the same bullet dimensions. Figured while "waiting" for my Bayou order to show up I'd cast some of my own for practice with Hi-Tek Bullet Coating.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the solid base version of that design ... H&G #50 .
    My mould was made by NOE but is the correct design .
    Cast from 8 bhn alloy and sized .358" - 38 Special Target Load :
    2.7 grs. Bullseye , 20 shots will go into one ragged hole 1 1/2 inches in diameter
    at 25 yards ... from a rest on a good day from my Clark built model 66 S&W target revolver .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I was not able to get good production out of the HB and had limited success with the boolit. It was very difficult to get good HB boolits from it, and I was not able to discern any advantage of it compared to my old H&G 50, which casts easier.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    HG #50 10 cavity was my first mold. Out of a Clark - 50 shots into 3-3 1/2" at 50 yards IIRC.
    Lord have mercy! I have the HG #50 4 cavity, and that thing is heavy. I don't even want to know what it's like casting with a 10 cavity. I'm assuming you probably have to ladle poor that one, with a big ladle....

As for the #50 in general, I have found lubing only one or two lube grooves proves the most accurate. If you can get by with only one without leading, go that way. I've always used 3.0gr of Bullseye. Proves exceptionally accurate out to 25yds. No clue past that...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!