RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR 4064 now costs MORE than Varget?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I hate be gouged, but what I hate more is not being able to get what I need at any price. Some call it hoarding but I call it being prepared.
    It is truly funny (odd, not humorous) what happens with, and why the supply & demand curve has kinks it has.
    Supply & demand w/ required goods looks a wee bit different than Desired goods -- to rip off a right bright advisor for Lady Thatcher: to place something on the realm of desirability is to move to a whole different level.

Securing for oneself what oneself will use, when opportunity presents, is not hoarding, it is intelligent buying.
    To buy something that one will never use out of emotion or terror, or view toward future opportunity for gain, are elements of hoarding.

I recently bought items from a hoarder at a good rate -- I am a re-cycler. Otherwise, those items would be wasted.

I think shooters in states like here in NY, and CA, IL, MA,etc. have a different outlook on being prepared with a lifetime supply of what is needed to make all our guns go BANG ! And since I have no idea how long I will live or shoot, I might end up with a little leftover.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Since the cost of importing all the powders and components is increasing, shipping costs are going up, labor costs are going up, why wouldn't final prices go up?

And if demand stays high then the financial groups that own most of this stuff will increase prices further (supply and demand almost always rules prices).

Remember that Vista Outdoors sold their ammunition and gun business to the Czechoslovak Group (CSG) last year. That includes a lot of reloading supplies, like Remington, CCI, Federal and Alliant.
    That sale was blocked by the State Dept. Something about not allowing a Foreign Entity to have control over our Munitions??? DUH?

The reason why prices are going up is because we are supplying Ammo to everyone and their Dogs overseas and the demand is growing everyday. AS soon as Trump ends the Wars demand will go back down and the Prices with it. Teh Powder companies will not expand production in times of shortages because when Demand goes back down they are left with a bunch of machinery that just sits and they don't like that.

Realistically If I was Pres (Don't wish for this cuz I'm not a nice liberal person???) I would make them Stock Pile at least 2 years of every kind of powder they make so the Domestic Market would be stable, and we'd have reserves if needed.

Properly Stored Powder has an Unlimited Shelf Life. I am about to load some .243 Win Cartridges with the "last half can of IMR 4350" I bought in 1971 when I started Reloading. I bought a new bottle last week and it smells the same as the old stuff because,,, I always took care to store it in a cool dry place. The seal under the cap was stuck to the mouth of the can and had to be peeled off so it was sealed tight.

Unfortunately most of my brass cases from back when haveLloose Primer Pockets so they are going in the recycle bucket, but that's OK cuz Norma is giving me the good guy price on 100 new .243 Win Cases.

It pays to go to the SHOT Show!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I once met a man on an airline flight who worked for the Department of Defense, on the logistical side. He told me that they couldn't get TNT from the US anymore, and that most of the TNT procured for the US military came from Poland. This was back in the 90's.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen the stop order. I did see a proposition from Colt CZ to buy the Vista gun line as a counter to the CSG.

If 'they' were concerned with overseas ownership then we would not have Beretta, SIG, HK and so on supplying the military. Does a US firm actually own any of the companies that make the guns? Factories were built in the US by FN, SIG, etc to avoid tariffs and such but they are still foreign companies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12