Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Ar15 stove bolts second or third shot

Boolit Master

Ar15 stove bolts second or third shot

It is a aero lower with rifle stock. It seems jam 2 or 3 shot. Never got deeper in the mag. I built a few of these that function flawless. I am wondering about the spring in rifle tube? It would appear to be short stroking. But, what do I know?!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub

Put a single 5.56 pressure cartridge in a known good magazine and fire. Does it lock back? If not, you have a gassing issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Master

you shooting factory 223?
    pistol, carbine, mid or rifle gas system?
    bolt holds open on empty mag?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    It’s a rifle with original type stock. Remington green tip ammo. The cartridge ends up pointed up into the breech but the bolt is kinda on top of it.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have the correct buffer in it? Is the gas port and gas system aligned correctly" is the gas tube entering the key smoothly and not binding?

Boolit Master

Does it occur with all magazines? Rule out magazine first.

Verify correct parts.
    Swap to a known good lower.
    If still having problems, then diagnose upper vs lower, gas port alignment/gas block, gas key on bcg, gas rings on bolt, etc.

Also, Too little gas and too much gas can have common symptoms. Both can appear to be short stroking where too much gas is overrunning magazine spring.

Several things need to be checked and verified to eliminate variables.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    It’s a rifle with original type stock. Remington green tip ammo. The cartridge ends up pointed up into the breech but the bolt is kinda on top of it.
    That usually means that the loads are underpowered. Like said above if it won’t lock open on an empty magazine after firing, it’s wanting more gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Another thig to check is the bolt carrier key. Make sure its screwed tight to the carrier if its loose it can drag and slow down and prevent proper function.

Boolit Master
    With so many parts that have been slammed out over the past decade or so? Pinned FS assembly? gas block with set screws floating guard? Some barrels were machined to have hand guard ferrule behind block. Orifice sizes were all over the place and stack up of this and that can reduce 30-40 percent not counting if block is misaligned. Loose key, cheap bolt, rings bad or lined up. One of my peeves is that gas tube key interaction, put in tube, pound in pin, good to go. NO, NO, not even close! Maybe one out of ten will be close. Pull bolt assy from BCG, have upper horizontal and right side up. Put your pinky in the back of BCG and push into position and feel capture of tube into key, anything past a bump it needs some thumbing/tube tweaking out front to get to right in mine.

Boolit Master
    Ok, thanks for all input. As soon as it warms up a bit maybe by Tuesday I will venture out to shop and have a look at this ar again. Too cold and I am 5 weeks out for a knee replacement so things are in low gear for getting about!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

sounds like a mag problem to me. The term stove pipe was usually used on lever guns where the cartridge was standing strait up instead of going into the chamber. The 1892 Winchester had this problem when the feed rails were not right. Feed rails on an AR are the mag.

Boolit Buddy

My experience

Try oiling it

Bolt over-ride. If not under gassed, mag problem likely. Either bolt is moving too fast or bolt lug doesn't pick up case head. Can be mag spring (weak) or lips hold base too low in mag. Recoil spring may be too strong or buffer too heavy. Start with mag first.
    Whatever!