MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argon Purge

Boolit Mold

Argon Purge

Does anyone know if anyone has tried an argon gas purge over the molten lead in the lead pot? If so, how well did it work in preventing oxidation? Were any negative issues encountered?

Would work, but would be expensive. Worth it? You decide.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure it’s dense enough to stay put on top of a hot pot of lead unless you have a steady stream from a tank to replenish it, sort of like MIG or TIG?

Boolit Master

why bother. If it's a bottom pour pot what is happening on the top of the pot is of little matter and as things go you'll end up needing to flux the pot anyway. This is sounding more like a solution looking for a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

The ventilation most use when casting will require a flow to be maintained. A lid with a hole to flow thru would almost be required. Purge welding has a cap with a small hole on one end and a cap with the hose on the other to maintain a flow and no air pockets.
    When mig or tig welding out side it dosnt take much breeze to blow the flux pocket away causing problems.
    Kitty litter, sawdust, clay or ground charcoal can be sprinkled in a layer on the top of the pot to provide an oxygen barrier.

Some of the higher temp soldering fluxes might work also. the rosin core for soft soldeer will be at its upper end and smoke bad, but the white sta silv for silver soldering has a 1500* upper end and might work but it could also make a hard glass like ring on the pot.
    The above mentioned cover with a piece of paper under it will burn of the oxygen and the lid will block it. This may be the simplest way. After fluxing drop a strip of paper in and the lid.

If you are worried about the oxidation, flux with sawdust and leave a burnt layer on top. Cheaper and should do the trick.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Negative issues? Over 100.00 for a large Argon fill nowadays and you would go through most of a full tank in one couple hour casting session!! Sawdust is free in most wood shops.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvin Gabors View Post
    Does anyone know if anyone has tried an argon gas purge over the molten lead in the lead pot? If so, how well did it work in preventing oxidation? Were any negative issues encountered?
    Do you have a specific need for this or are you just curious? A clean surface is nice if you want it but for what we do, it doesn't need it to be that clean.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Once you flux, just leave a layer of melted wax on top to prevent oxidation.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Expensive and impractical. If you cast in a small space it would quickly displace the oxygen in the space and you could lose consciousness, you fall to the floor where the argon has settled and you don't recover.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

It sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    DougGuy you nailed it!! Argon can be an asphyxiant. I’m sad to say, I’ve been on two jobs where workers were overcome in a confined space. It’s just not worth the risk.

As usual, these are just my opinions. Worth what ya paid for them.
    Be safe.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I would hope if you are casting in a small enclosed area that you would have adequate ventilation regardless of whether using argon or not!! Just fluxing will release a whole host of smoke related issues that need to be vented.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    DougGuy you nailed it!! Argon can be an asphyxiant. I’m sad to say, I’ve been on two jobs where workers were overcome in a confined space. It’s just not worth the risk.
    Long story, but I worked for a time in a plant where a guy had died from entering a confined space that had been full of argon without a spotter to watch over him, and without purging the space properly. I did the same job, but we had strict procedures about purging, and even so I had to wear a harness hooked to an overhead crane so my spotter could hoist me out if I keeled over. Spotter had to be "eyes on" 100% of the time, on pain of dismissal.

Pretty much a moot point, since there are far cheaper and safer ways of excluding oxygen from the melt.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    If you are worried about the oxidation, flux with sawdust and leave a burnt layer on top. Cheaper and should do the trick.
    Kitty litter...fresh, not 'recycled'...works pretty good, too.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Kraschenbirn, if he uses “ recycled “ kitty litter I don’t think ANYONE will have to tell him about ventilation! He’ll figure it out real damn quick!!!! ( sorry, I had to, it was too easy).

Be safe.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Running a purge of the size needed for a lead pot would hardly represent any danger at all, unless you're doing your casting in a broom closet. But, I agree, it's completely unnecessary.

Frankford Arsenal casting flux is $14 from Amazon. Heck of a lot cheaper than argon, and more effective.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Master
    I had an Argon Purge once...
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master

Argon Gas Purge ...

Stop watching U-Tube ...

Way Too much Fake Information on that site ...

To prevent oxidation you must keep the air from contacting the melt surface ... that isn't hard to do .
    Cover the surface of the melt with Wood shavings and let the resulting charcoal remain on the surface .
    Another method is to cover the surface with Clay Kitty Litter ... new clean kitty litter ...
    Argon Purge ... someone is Blowing Gas up your skirt ...
    ... Don't listen to them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast