Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Conversions to .327 Fed Mag

Boolit Mold

Conversions to .327 Fed Mag

Cheers to all. New here but with decades of target shooting and reloading experience. It was suggested by a fellow member to make an entry here. The purpose is to find the right individual (s) to make a conversion of a mod. 19 S&W into a .327 Fed Mag. The .32 cylinders are near impossible to obtain and I know conversions of model 17 cylinders are feasible; The second issue entails taking down the .357 barrel and replacing it with the S&W .32 H&R Mag I have. I am aware of what all that may entail, from proper gap, sight alignment, underlug end distance etc. I have contacted Cylinder and Slide and others but no luck so far; Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    That conversion may get a little rocky. I am wondering about cylinder timing as well as your mention of cylinder gap. Looking forward to hearing about how your project progresses and others' experience as well.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Green Frog, where are you? He has one that he had built, IIRC, by Andy Horvath. It is really sweet and I have toyed with the idea of having one made myself, but I fear finding the 32 H&R barrel is like finding unicorn horns. Send him a PM and maybe he will hop out of the pond and clue you in on the details. Charley is a really nice guy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Mr. Horvath would be tops of my list as well, I was thinking to suggest his name in the forum.

I saw a 32 caliber conversion he did for Jeff Quinn and it was a flawless execution, I can find a ton of photos and forum posts regarding Mr. Horvath pertaining to Ruger single actions mostly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Depends on what you want it for.

The quick and dirty?

Get a Smith with a 2 piece barrel……..no under lug problem…….just turn another inner sleeve

Then have someone make sleeves chambered in 327 to fit a reamed out chambers.

Silversolder or epoxy them in…….with a good fit you could just do the ends.

Much like the sleeves in a model 53…….but permanent………

I’m trying it soon on a Charter Arms snubby in 38 special. Got it cheap

It’s a 5 shot so no problem with it he bolt notch.

But I’ve cut up a lot of revolvers …did it with another gunsmith for a long time. …in fact except for a Manhurin,a DW and a Python……I’ll be cutting up the rest of my revolvers…..just fun to build Niche guns. and come to think of it…. the Python isn’t immune……..but it has a lot of holster wear

So take that into consideration………

Boolit Grand Master
    I too would suggest you contact Andy Horvath. He did mine. Read this thread so you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. Note that Delta is no longer in business reboring gun barrels… I would check with Alan Segrist.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ect-616-a.html

If you PM me your e-mail address, I’ll send you a copy of the article I wrote about the project.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Rodgunner, there was a virtually query on the Gunsmithing section of the S&W Forum in the last couple of days. You might want to look at that as well. BTW, if you already have the 16-4 barrel in hand, the hard part is done. Get a Model 17 or K22 cylinder, a Model 19 donor gun to build on, and send it all to Andy Horvath. Mission accomplished!

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I understood Cylinder and Slide had ceased operations.

As for your project, with enough money anyone can make their fantasy into a reality. My experience is that given the expense and angst, one can find a production firearm which does essentially what one desires. But like most of life's lessons, this is best learned through experience. "laff" Which I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    El Biblitechario,
    I think we agree up to a point, but if somebody wants a model that can’t be easily found, or something that was never made but should have been, having a custom job does make perfectly good sense. First, I wanted a 327 Fed Mag chambered K frame S&W, hence the birth of Project 616. Then I wanted an old fashioned K32/Model 16 (pre -4). I was fortunate enough to have a NOS 16-3 barrel “fall in my lap” so what could i do? I had to have my dream gun built (the faux Model 16-3). If I didn’t have them now, would I build them again? Almost 100% certainly! YMMV.
    Froggie

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Green Frog, I do have the barrel and a Model 19 so I guess all I would need is the cylinder. I will contact Horvath. Thanks

Boolit Mold
    I will check the SW forum-Thanks

Boolit Master
    ...another is Jack Huntington (JRH)...he did a S&W Model 53 to .327 conversion which he said was one of the easiest projects he has ever done...
    Have barrel rebored
    Rechamber the .22 Long Rifle Cylinder
    Remark barrel
    Screw back together...

Because I had an extra barrel, the gun can be put back to original .22 Jet...only loss was the rimfire cylinder...

From what I have seen the easiest conversion would be a Model 14/15, rebore a Model 17/48 barrel and rechamber a 17/48 cylinder.

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

I would also hit the auction sites hard. 18 months ago I bought a 16-4 S&W 6" unfired in the box with tools and papers for $1999. I was the only bidder. It is still in excellent shape though no longer unfired. Prices are coming down a little on these especially if they are not collector grade. I think you're less money to find one and have someone else ream it to 327 F.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze