MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: .453 size Die ?

Boolit Master

.453 size Die ?

Does anyone make a. 453 push through sizing die.
    Lee has .452 and 454 but not .453
    I need a .453
    Failure is not an Option

This is a link to the NOE .453 plug.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...49-p-exp-plug/

Vendor Sponsor

Order a custom .453" right from Lee! They are very affordable and they don't take long to fill your order.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    What Doug said. Lee has always been happy to make special sizing dies for me, and they are reasonable and timely.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys.
    I'll call Lee
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master

Buffalo Arms will also hog out the diameter of one to your specified size. Pretty sure I got my .453 that way.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

The alloy used effects finished sized diameter. Harder alloys, making larger bullets.

*The amount of sizing may have an effect on spring back? Like .004" vs .001" Needs testing.
    I wish this brand of molds dropped diameters, were closer to my required size. Less sizing, more accurate? *
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-18-2024 at 11:05 AM. Reason: *Add more*

Boolit Mold
    I’m glad I came across this thread. I am new to casting so forgive me if this is all common knowledge.

Does a harder alloy make bigger bullets.? Is there a formula somewhere to determine how much bigger?

Just today, I ran some tests bullets in two Lee aluminum 6 cavity molds. 452-200-SWC and 452-230-1R. I am using 92-3 tin-5 Antimony mix. The bullets I am getting are coming out as big as .455 – .456. I am also dropping them into water to harden them up. I tried sizing them through a Seaco .452 die setup I am using and I have to take a nap after every 6 or 7 bullets. I thought about getting a .454 Seaco die to see if I can run two passes and make it a little easier.

Is this what you have to go through to make hardball bullets or am I doing something stupid?

Add pure lead for smaller diameter & softer bullets. no Water drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Diadem View Post
    I’m glad I came across this thread. I am new to casting so forgive me if this is all common knowledge.

Does a harder alloy make bigger bullets.? Is there a formula somewhere to determine how much bigger?

Just today, I ran some tests bullets in two Lee aluminum 6 cavity molds. 452-200-SWC and 452-230-1R. I am using 92-3 tin-5 Antimony mix. The bullets I am getting are coming out as big as .455 – .456. I am also dropping them into water to harden them up. I tried sizing them through a Seaco .452 die setup I am using and I have to take a nap after every 6 or 7 bullets. I thought about getting a .454 Seaco die to see if I can run two passes and make it a little easier.

Is this what you have to go through to make hardball bullets or am I doing something stupid?
    Lube bullets before & after sizing with Lee Liquid Alox.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/ma...-moulds-charts Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them

Lee molds are regulated for 95 lead & 5 tin alloy. The antimony makes larger & harder bullets.

Your alloy doesnt need dropped in water to harden more. Water harding requires antimony to make oven heat treated , water dropped bullets harder.

The 5% antimony fully hardent bullet in 1 hour or less, when water cooled. 2% antimon, takes longer, up to two weeks.

If bullets are for 45 acp, add some pure lead to reduce as cast diameters & softer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20240127-232953_Yahoo Mail.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-28-2024 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The NOE sizing setup is great, especially if you will be sizing different calibers. Initial cost may be more, but cheaper in the long run.

I drop my boolits in a five gallon bucket of water. Not to harden them, but they cool before reaching the bottom and don’t risk getting distorted. No matter how hard I tried, I always had problems dumping them out on soft towels. Maybe I just want to go too fast.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the great info. According to the calculations I could be getting bullets at .45652 which is what I am seeing. I guess if I want hardball bullets I am going to have to start lifting weights. I also didn’t realize there will be a weight issue also.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking their thread.

Vendor Sponsor

IIRC, Lee uses Lyman #2 alloy as a reference, so all their sizers SHOULD produce boolits the advertised diameter using Lyman #2 or something very close in hardness. As mentioned earlier in this thread, alloy composition greatly affects diameter as dropped from the mold.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Hmmm Now I’m back to being confused again. I’m using 3% Tin and 5% Antimony which is between Lyman No. 2 (5% Tin and 5% Ant) and Hardball (2% Tin and 6% Ant) I should then be getting bullets relatively close to the right size.

Another issue I just noticed is that the article listed below says that casting at higher temperatures makes smaller bullets. I’m casting at 720, which may be too low, and may be the reason I am getting oversize bullets. Being new at this stuff sucks, I am finding out there is much more I do not know than what I know.
    Last edited by Diadem; 01-28-2024 at 04:14 PM.

DougGuy WRONG

https://support.leeprecision.net/en/knowledgebase

Read at above link about Lee molds.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...g-bullets.310/ More.

Frosted bullets from to HOT alloy/ mold temperature may also make voids on the bullets surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20240128-205038.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-29-2024 at 09:27 AM. Reason: DougGuy wrong.

As cast diameters LEE

More from Lee. Our bullet mold tolerance is stated diameter, +.003/-.000 inch.

Using 95 lead & 5 tin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240128_214033.jpg  

Boolit Master

Check with user ammohead. He just made me a custom H&I sizing die for my 7.35 Carcano. Service was fast, quality was excellent and the price was right.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

to make a .452 sizing die into a .453 takes very little time if you use some fine grit abrasive paper wrapped around a dowel. insert the wrapped dowel into the die and roll it on your leg. Check it often as it will work very quickly and it is easy to go oversize.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE