Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Grand Master

Well I bit the bullet so to speak and ordered the program. It's up and running and boy is it overwhelming. I've been reading the User Guide about adding bullets. I've been able to create a new folder for a mold manufacturer as well as add a new bullet to that folder. But it seems very limited. I'm only able to add the length/diamter/weight of bullet. I don't know the BC of these bullets. Am I assuming correctly that to take full advantage of the program I will need the software from TMT Enterprises to work in conjunction w/ Quickloads? Otherwise I'm just adding really basic information about a bullet. It looks like I need the TMT software to draw a bullet up and get all the pertinent info to add to QL. Is this correct?

Boolit Master

Dragon813gt,

Although you would learn a lot and probably never regret purchasing the Precision Bullet Design software, unless your intent is to design custom bullets to fit specific chambers or you just plain enjoy designing bullets, other methods of determining the bullet ballistic coefficients are available.
    The Precision Ballistic Coefficient Estimator on my website can calculate a fairly close ballistic coefficent for most bullets of normal configuration.
    However, the G1 Ballistic Coefficient Estimator software can more closely estimate ballistic coefficients for jacketed, cast and roundball projectiles and save your data in a retrievable database as does the Precision Ballistics software module.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Well I bit the bullet so to speak and ordered the program. It's up and running and boy is it overwhelming. I've been reading the User Guide about adding bullets. I've been able to create a new folder for a mold manufacturer as well as add a new bullet to that folder. But it seems very limited. I'm only able to add the length/diamter/weight of bullet. I don't know the BC of these bullets. Am I assuming correctly that to take full advantage of the program I will need the software from TMT Enterprises to work in conjunction w/ Quickloads? Otherwise I'm just adding really basic information about a bullet. It looks like I need the TMT software to draw a bullet up and get all the pertinent info to add to QL. Is this correct?
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Grand Master

I was really just looking for a good reason to buy it. I like to play around w/ stuff like this. Most of it is way over my head at this time but it seems like a good way to teach myself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I was really just looking for a good reason to buy it. I like to play around w/ stuff like this. Most of it is way over my head at this time but it seems like a good way to teach myself.
    Go for it. you will learn a lot. A lot more up-grade goodies are in the works for the design software. I have a thread in the Vendor Sponsor forum but haven't yet had the time to place any of the pending upgrades and information in it. I'll get on that as soon as possible.

If it gets too far over your head, contact me and we can get your head above the water.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    Yes you can enter custom bullets. You can change or add data for everything really, all config files are plain text.

There's no real other game in town for internal ballistics. External ballistics yes, there are plenty of better and more simple calculators imho.
    OK I did some custom bullets but I can't save it Shank lenght in case will not save Any ideas what I'm doing wrong
    Thanks dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    OK I did some custom bullets but I can't save it Shank lenght in case will not save Any ideas what I'm doing wrong
    Thanks dave
    The shank length value is different from the seating depth value only if you are using a boat tail bullet.
    The shank length value is measured from the mouth of the case to the point where the boat tail taper begins,
    The length of taper is automatically subtracted from the seating depth of the bullet and displayed as the Shank Seat.Depth.
    Be sure your Cartridge Length, Case Length and Projectile O.A. Length are correctly entered in order to arrive at the actual seating depth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QLoadimage.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	98431

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 03-03-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add info
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    The shank length value is different from the seating depth value only if you are using a boat tail bullet.
    The shank length value is measured from the mouth of the case to the point where the boat tail taper begins,
    The length of taper is automatically subtracted from the seating depth of the bullet and displayed as the Shank Seat.Depth.
    Be sure your Cartridge Length, Case Length and Projectile O.A. Length are correctly entered in order to arrive at the actual seating depth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QLoadimage.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	98431

Hope this helps.
    Using a straight shank bullet Problem is I enter all my #s but can't get it to save. Got 4 different .500 bullets and if I change my specks on one, all of them change. I can't save an individual bullet. Have different names and the projectile lenght is correct but the seating depth will not save and the overall lenght will stay as last bullet I worked with

Boolit Master

Using a straight shank bullet Problem is I enter all my #s but can't get it to save. Got 4 different .500 bullets and if I change my specks on one, all of them change. I can't save an individual bullet. Have different names and the projectile lenght is correct but the seating depth will not save and the overall lenght will stay as last bullet I worked with
    Let's assume that you have created your personal bullet file by going to
    "Main Menu" ~"Data ,Add, Change, Load, Save"~"Projectile / Bullet data"~

"Create new bullet file"

and entered a file name such as "mybullets.bul" and then clicked the "OK" button.

And then went to

"Load a bullet file",

selected the bullet file just created and clicked the "OK" button.

Next go to

"Change data records in active file".

Now the bullet edit panel is displayed where you can edit or enter your bullet data.

Enter the title for you bullet, overwriting the existing title, following the same format that QuikLoad uses - caliber, weight, bullet vendor and ID number. Be sure to place the commas where they belong.

Enter the remaining values in the edit windows and when completed, click "Add New" Button to save the bullet to your personal bullet file.

When entering another bullet, just type in the new name over the existing one and then edit the remaining fields with the values of the bullet with the new name and again click the "Add New" Button to save that bullet.

If you select an existing bullet file and change or edit some data, without making any changes to the text in the title, and then click the "Add New" Button, you will get a message asking if you wish to overwrite the existing file. Click yes to save your changes.

Hope this helps. If you are still having problems getting the program to save bullet data, call me at the support contact number on the Precision Ballistics Web site and we'll see if we can make it work for you.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 03-04-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Let's assume that you have created your personal bullet file by going to

"Create new bullet file"

and entered a file name such as "mybullets.bul" and then clicked the "OK" button.

And then went to

"Load a bullet file",

selected the bullet file just created and clicked the "OK" button.

Next go to

"Change data records in active file".

Now the bullet edit panel is displayed where you can edit or enter your bullet data.

Enter the title for you bullet, overwriting the existing title, following the same format that QuikLoad uses - caliber, weight, bullet vendor and ID number. Be sure to place the commas where they belong.

Enter the remaining values in the edit windows and when completed, click "Add New" Button to save the bullet to your personal bullet file.

When entering another bullet, just type in the new name over the existing one and then edit the remaining fields with the values of the bullet with the new name and again click the "Add New" Button to save that bullet.

If you select an existing bullet file and change or edit some data, without making any changes to the text in the title, and then click the "Add New" Button, you will get a message asking if you wish to overwrite the existing file. Click yes to save your changes.

Hope this helps. If you are still having problems getting the program to save bullet data, call me at the support contact number on the Precision Ballistics Web site and we'll see if we can make it work for you.

Thanks Tom Saved all my bullets but seating depth would not save. I did a cartridge file and renamed each cartridge with bullet size and it did save but only as a cartridge file not a bullet file. Is this a program blip? All the numbers I get from the program are all within 30 FPS to actual chrony readings I had in my files so the program works great for me except for the bullet file. I would think that if I put in a bullet with a seating depth it would follow across all loads for that caliber but it always goes to the published over all length and changes the seating depth to match the published length. Probably need to play some more.
    Thanks
    Dave

Boolit Master

Thanks Tom Saved all my bullets but seating depth would not save. I did a cartridge file and renamed each cartridge with bullet size and it did save but only as a cartridge file not a bullet file. Is this a program blip? All the numbers I get from the program are all within 30 FPS to actual chrony readings I had in my files so the program works great for me except for the bullet file. I would think that if I put in a bullet with a seating depth it would follow across all loads for that caliber but it always goes to the published over all length and changes the seating depth to match the published length. Probably need to play some more.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Dave

The cartridge file saves the cartridge O.A.L., case length, case capacity, bore groove dia and bore area.

The bullet file saves the bullet length, weight and diameter.

After you have selected the cartridge to be used and then selected the bullet to be used, QuickLoad calculates the seating depth from those values.

Look at the Cartridge Length value that is displayed at the left of the form. After loading the Cartridge and bullet, you can edit that value to your actual cartridge overall length. Editing that value will calculate the actual bullet seating depth for your internal ballistic calculations.

If you wish that seating depth value to appear each time you select that bullet and cartridge combination, you need to select a cartrtridge file with the case length and cartridge OAL that match the cartridge loaded with your selected bullet.

What I do is create a Cartridge record labeled for caliber, case mfg, firearm, bullet ID and COAL like so -
    ".280 Rem Fed Browning2 RCBS Silh 145 3.315" { don't use any commas in the cartridge title as that will mess up the file selection process}

That cartridge record has the correct case length and COAL used in the reloading setup and the actual volume of a fired case from the selected firearm along with the bore and groove diameter of the firearm.

I then select the bullet labeled "RCBS Silh 145" and the correct seating depth is calculated so everything is setup for the internal ballistics calculations.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 03-04-2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Dave

The cartridge file saves the cartridge O.A.L., case length, case capacity, bore groove dia and bore area.

The bullet file saves the bullet length, weight and diameter.

After you have selected the cartridge to be used and then selected the bullet to be used, QuickLoad calculates the seating depth from those values.

Look at the Cartridge Length value that is displayed at the left of the form. After loading the Cartridge and bullet, you can edit that value to your actual cartridge overall length. Editing that value will calculate the actual bullet seating depth for your internal ballistic calculations.

If you wish that seating depth value to appear each time you select that bullet and cartridge combination, you need to select a cartrtridge file with the case length and cartridge OAL that match the cartridge loaded with your selected bullet.

What I do is create a Cartridge record labeled for caliber, case mfg, firearm, bullet ID and COAL like so -
    ".280 Rem Fed Browning2 RCBS Silh 145 3.315" { don't use any commas in the cartridge title as that will mess up the file selection process}

That cartridge record has the correct case length and COAL used in the reloading setup and the actual volume of a fired case from the selected firearm along with the bore and groove diameter of the firearm.

I then select the bullet labeled "RCBS Silh 145" and the correct seating depth is calculated so everything is setup for the internal ballistics calculations.
    Thats pretty much what I did Made a cartridge file with each head I use. Upgrade for the program would be when you make a projectile file it includes a seating depth for that projectile that is saved also

Boolit Grand Master

So does anyone have the powder info for SR4759? I went out and bought a bunch of it. I knew it wasn't part of the program to begin w/. But it would be nice to have it so I can work up some loads for lightweight bullets that aren't listed in any of the manuals. I'm specifically trying to load some 180RF bullets for a 358 Winchester. These are what I have on hand as my new mold is not made yet

Banned

If no one comes up with anything I will check Load Data for you later when I have some time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    If no one comes up with anything I will check Load Data for you later when I have some time.
    Thanks. I'm definitely looking for the powder information. I have a bunch of 357 pistol bullets that I'd like to use. Mainly for lead and powder conservation. I'm planning on using W231 for most of them. But would like to use SR4759 since I have it.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 03-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Just bought ver 3.8 and started reading the manual and the online reviews. Lots of good information so far but I have a question regarding something I have not run across yet. I don't see anywhere you input the twist rate of your barrel. I know it is important with regards to the bullet you are using but I would have thought it factored into some of the other data as well. Did I miss something or is it not part of the calculations?

Thomas

Thomas,

you can define that under the gun data, go data - gun data. Define your firearm including barrel length, twist, caliber, height of sight, etc.

Hope this helps.

E.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Master
    Pm me if anyone has mac versions for any of this software

Quote Originally Posted by Expat74 View Post
    Thomas,

you can define that under the gun data, go data - gun data. Define your firearm including barrel length, twist, caliber, height of sight, etc.

Hope this helps.

E.
    Just what I was looking for. Thank you,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    Pm me if anyone has mac versions for any of this software
    If you are asking about Quickload they do not have a Mac version as I asked. The other programs I can not say.

Thomas

I am getting ready to order this next week and have a question for you all. Will I be able to load this on both my computers? I have a desktop and a laptop.

Thanx

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!