WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Vendor Sponsor

Yessir, it took me 2-3 tries to get virtualbox to load and run, and you had to do it specifically step by step for it to work. I remember cussing at that one more than once.

Might be time to move to Linux Mint 18 Sarah? Whole lots of improvements over Maya.

I ran the wine installer from terminal. sudo apt-get install wine but it gave me the 1.6.2 which is the newest for linux mint 18.

Running these commands one at a time gave me wine 1.8 which is the newest that is stable with ubuntu:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install wine1.8
    $ sudo apt-get install winetricks

It also installed winetricks which is helpful for shoehorning things into wine but not needed for QL to run.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Upgrade woes

I have an older version (3.4) of Quickload. I would like to get a never version with an up-to-date powder line. Simple enough, right? ...Wrong!

At first I emailed the danish dealer (for some inexplicable reason you can only purchase an upgrade in the country where you bought the program) The dealer informed me that I had to send them my Quickload CD and $25 + postage. Also, you couldn't upgrade unless you had filled out the registration card and mailed it to the developer (mailed - not emailed, mind you) Luckily, I still had the card and mailed it to Germany.

Then I waited...

and waited...

Nothing happened so I emailed the danish dealer once more to ask if we could skip the registration process if I just sent them the old CD.

Then I waited...

and waited...

More than half a year later I'm still waiting, but I have a naggin' feeling nothing's gonna happen...

I can understand the creator of the program, Hartmut Broemel, is worried about people pirating his program, but this archaic hula hoop jumping smacks of paranoia.

Anyway, I'll stick with ver. 3.4 - it's still a great program. Just had to get this off my chest.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    This is where I got mine.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Moderator Emeritus
    Unfortunately now you can only buy from the licensed dealer in the country you are living in, also upgrades will only come from them.

I had issues with the UK dealer when I tried to upgrade my US bought QL, I just run the old version and bugger paying for the upgrades as I won't give the UK dealer any money after the way I was treated. Sounds like the dealer system isn't working that well in some countries.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I had issues with the UK dealer when I tried to upgrade my US bought QL, I just run the old version and bugger paying for the upgrades as I won't give the UK dealer any money after the way I was treated. Sounds like the dealer system isn't working that well in some countries.
    Well, two can play that game: (Disclaimer! This is a hypothetical scenario which bears no similarity to any recent events)

Do a google search for "qloadfw.pro" (apostrophes included) If any luck, copy the file: C:\bin\quickload\data\powders\qloadfw.pro to qloadfw-old.pro and replace the data in the original file with the new content.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    I'm still trying to migrate from ms to linux. I finally found my install disc for ql. When I put the disc in, there was no auto run option. It just shows me the files that are on the disc. I have wine on my computer. Can somebody hold my hand and guide me through the install? From what I see, things are not as automatic as they are on windows. I barely know how to turn the darned thing on. I have ubuntu installed and the wine version is 1.6
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    I'm still trying to migrate from ms to linux. I finally found my install disc for ql. When I put the disc in, there was no auto run option. It just shows me the files that are on the disc. I have wine on my computer. Can somebody hold my hand and guide me through the install? From what I see, things are not as automatic as they are on windows. I barely know how to turn the darned thing on. I have ubuntu installed and the wine version is 1.6
    Look for a file named "setup.exe" and double-click on it. Then it's just a matter of following the on-screen instruktions.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Cap'n Morgan.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.

Boolit Master
    When I double click on setup.exe, it wants to open with archive manager. When I say ok, it tells me there was a problem loading the archive. Is this the wrong app to use for this?

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    When I double click on setup.exe, it wants to open with archive manager. When I say ok, it tells me there was a problem loading the archive. Is this the wrong app to use for this?
    Try right-clicking the "setup.exe".

Choose "properties".

Select "open with" and select Wine as the default application for .exe files.
    Cap'n Morgan

Vendor Sponsor

tommag you -might- have to update your Wine with later version. 1.6 is pretty old.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Does QL run well on Windows 10?...

My present computer has Windows 7 and I think the ol' girl is ready to "give up the ghost" if computers have Ghosts...

Anyone use QL with Windows 10?...

Thanks...BCB

Not one of the power users but I have had zero problems running Quickload on Windows 10.

Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Just let it go."
    Don "Big Daddy" Davis 2003

Vendor Sponsor

It runs fine in Win10.

Boolit Mold

New to QuickLoad

These are first impressions, observations, and questions about QuickLoad.

Just got it and am only mucking around figuring out how it works. I’ll appreciate any feedback anyone wants to give on any point I list. At this point I am only looking at .38spl, +p, and .357mag.

In no particular order…
    1. Raised eyebrows at what powders are NOT in the database. No 700X/800X (et al populars)? Really?
    2. Seems like cast bullet selection is miniscule.
    3. I am surprised how little difference case length changes things…up to a point.
    4. Ditto for moderate bullet weight changes.
    5. Is there a place other than QuickLoad uptates where more complete bullet and powder data files can be had?

The following is for theoretical purposes only so I can understand some of the concepts of how it works and how to check certain loads…

Theoretical example: I have a .357 mag and want to experiment with short case loads, shorter than .38spl. Just to use round numbers lets say the case is 1.00” long. I would load the parameters for 357 (pressure), then change the definition of the case length from 1.285 to 1.00, and cartridge length from 1.55 to 1.265. Quickload will use the 357 pressures as a baseline, and recalculate the load to the shorter case.

Is this how it works?

Find a bullet close to your cast bullet and edit the info and name. . Next time you open the program it will be in order by diameter. Do the same for case size. Same with initiation presure. 2 standard presures for either cast lead or jacketed. I don't worry about published presures as a 357 presure is what gun is rated for and as long as estimated presure from Quickload is lower your safe.
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Need to find your case capacity for your "new round". If it's based off of a straight walled cartridge you can get a ballpark by adjust the seating depth to get your case capacity. Wouldn't use a guess to load actual ammo though as the couple times I've done that the final case volume differed from the QL guess.

Boolit Master

I've downloaded the NOE .bul file...

Can I just "drag and drop" it into the .bul files in QuickLoad?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I've downloaded the NOE .bul file...

Can I just "drag and drop" it into the .bul files in QuickLoad?...

Thanks...BCB
    Yep.

Then open QuickLoad and click on the menu item "Main Menu".
    Then "Data add, Change, Load, Save"
    Then "Projectile / Bullet Data"
    Then "Load a bullet file"
    Scroll down until you find "NOE cast bullets" and select then click OK.
    The NOE bullet records will now be available in the drop down Selected Bullet window.

Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

tests

This is what I have downloaded...

Where do I drag the noe.bul file to?...

Thanks...BCB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast