Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Grand Master

You and I are in the same boat. I have a habit of using powders in applications that there is no load data for. It's the main reason I bought Quickload.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You and I are in the same boat. I have a habit of using powders in applications that there is no load data for. It's the main reason I bought Quickload.
    Yep, me too...

I have used it quite a bit with the 6.8mm and "exotic" powders!!! Well, powders that are in the correct burn rate, but no data available...

I have also used it for super slow surplus stuff using powders like H-1000 etc. as the powder I put into QuickLoad, although I was using WC-860. It is surprisingly close in predicting velocities...

I do watch the color of the window for pressure. That is my main concern and I figure if QuickLoad is even a bit unpredictable, it will still give me info to start loads with--that being, pressures that are lower, considerably lower than it shows as SAAMI specs on pressures...

Oh well, I am still wondering about what was actually updated...

Good-luck...BCB

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I do watch the color of the window for pressure.
    +1 on that! This what I love about Quickload. As long as they are in the database you can mix and match components to fit your specific needs and interests.

Thomas
    "Just let it go."
    Don "Big Daddy" Davis 2003

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
    Camobob - I think you're close, but my opinion is that it's more of an "optimum" pressure versus a lowest pressure. Based on my experience, a calibrated load (meaning real chrono data to dial in the QL burn rate) providing a 96-98% "Amount of Propellent Burnt" is the most efficient way to produce the desired velocity, and will produce best accuracy.

Higher percentages of "Propellent Burnt" indicate too fast a powder and can give you dangerously high pressures to get the top velocity. Lower percentages may or may not get to the desired velocity because the powder is too slow, and while the pressures will likely be lower, so too will the efficiency, accuracy, and cleanliness of the burn ("dirty ammo syndrome").
    I agree that going too slow will eventually leave you without the desired velocity. I've also read that the impulse from faster powders produces a more reliable slide movement and less felt recoil. Specifically for 45 acp - I use a lot of Red Dot. Thousands and thousands of rounds with no issue whatsoever however QL shows that bullet seating can make a safe load dangerous real quick. In some cases, just the variation in case dimensions between manufacturers is enough to get you over the red line. Also, with Red Dot less than 0.3 grains makes the difference between safe (MAP-25%) and risky (MAP-15%). If I use something like Power Pistol, as you said, I use more powder and waste 30% of it so it costs more and burns dirtier. In return for the wasted powder I get significantly less pressure and way more margin of error while still maintaining the same velocity. Still pondering the perfect solution......

Boolit Mold
    Just ran a few numbers - 200gr SWC, 1.250 OAL, 45acp using Red Dot and Unique to produce 900fps. RD burned 100% while Unique only burned 90%. Unique had 17% less pressure but more important to me, RD hit the red line with 0.1gr of extra powder. Unique hit the red line with 0.6gr extra. I ran a similar scenario in the past only I varied the case volume instead of the extra powder. That's what really got me thinking about pressure. Just using numbers alone it looks to me like the old standards W231 and Red Dot are too fast. Power Pistol and AA#5 are too slow and Unique is the perfect powder. It's hard for me to believe that the numbers are true considering the zillions of rounds that have been shot out of 1911 style pistols using 231, HP38 and RD.

Quote Originally Posted by camobob View Post
    Just ran a few numbers - 200gr SWC, 1.250 OAL, 45acp using Red Dot and Unique to produce 900fps. RD burned 100% while Unique only burned 90%. Unique had 17% less pressure but more important to me, RD hit the red line with 0.1gr of extra powder. Unique hit the red line with 0.6gr extra. I ran a similar scenario in the past only I varied the case volume instead of the extra powder. That's what really got me thinking about pressure. Just using numbers alone it looks to me like the old standards W231 and Red Dot are too fast. Power Pistol and AA#5 are too slow and Unique is the perfect powder. It's hard for me to believe that the numbers are true considering the zillions of rounds that have been shot out of 1911 style pistols using 231, HP38 and RD.
    Was this a QL theoretical run, or based on dialing in QL Burn Rates for a given powder using real chrono data? That's the only way I've found to truly dial in with QL. It's only approximate otherwise.

Regarding quicker powders than ideal in QL - if you don't push them to extremes, they can work great in milder loads. And that's what you see reflected in loading manuals...quick powders work, but the velocities are lower while hitting high pressures.

Boolit Mold
    I've chrono'd my loads to make sure they're close but never actually 'dialed in' anything in QL. How do I do that?

It's the process of adjusting the Burn Rate of the powder to match the measured chrono velocity. Some people also adjust the Weighting Factor, but I've had good results just turning the Burn Rate knob. It's also good to measure the actual H2O capacity of your fired brass and put that in as well. Those two items generally produce very good results.

Boolit Master

It's the process of adjusting the Burn Rate of the powder to match the measured chrono velocity. Some people also adjust the Weighting Factor, but I've had good results just turning the Burn Rate knob. It's also good to measure the actual H2O capacity of your fired brass and put that in as well. Those two items generally produce very good results.
    Could you explain this "burn rate knob"? I put the charge and other data into QL and then I compare its results to actually chronograph results...

Example: 22 grains of 4064 is predicted to give 1600 fps. I chronograph it to be 1530 fps. How can I adjust the burn rate of 4064 to be a bit slower?...

Thanks...BCB

First, press this button...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powder Button.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	151539

Then, manually adjust this number until you get a match to your measured velocities...

Name:	Powder Button 2.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	151541

Boolit Master

First, press this button...

Name:	Powder Button.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	151539

Then, manually adjust this number until you get a match to your measured velocities...

Name:	Powder Button 2.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	151541
    Got it...

Mine V.3.8 is a bit different than your V.3.6 but the end results are the same...

That is some very good information...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

(IPSC Factor= 201.0 – DSB MIP= 396.9)

What do those abbreviations and numbers mean?...

They appear in the Results Section of QuickLoad…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Buddy
    IPSC Factor and German DSB MIP factor.

IPSC= http://www.ipsc.org/ipsc/handgun.php

DSB http://www.dsb.de/english/german_shooting_federation/

Will have to run the German page through a translator. Once I moved off the page in the link, it was all in German.

Boolit Master

Question

When I do my calculations using QuickTarget, I get some strange numbers for bullet impact for windage…

Example: I have my rifle zeroed both vertical and horizontal. It calculates drop but it shows the bullet impact at various ranges being to the right of the vertical drop. I enter the data with NO WIND. I don’t understand why it lists the bullet as not staying on path, vertically?...

Is it the twist of the rifling? If so, it seems to over calculate impact points…

Thanks…BCB

I have not used that feature yet but in real life the bullet spin and spinning earth affect bullet impact as well as other factors like wind.

Boolit Master
    With a right hand twist and wind coming from the right the bullet will get moved to the left and climb up towards 10 o'clock, conversely with a left wind the bullet will get moved to the right and down towards 4 o'clock.

This chart will give you a better idea.

Name:	WindChart.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	152326

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    With a right hand twist and wind coming from the right the bullet will get moved to the left and climb up towards 10 o'clock, conversely with a left wind the bullet will get moved to the right and down towards 4 o'clock.

This chart will give you a better idea.

Name:	WindChart.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	152326
    Reckon so, but I have not entered any wind into the data...

And the calculations indicate the boolit will impact ~7" to the right at 200 yards--To me that's absurd...

Maybe and inch or two, but not 7"...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Reckon so, but I have not entered any wind into the data...
    And the calculations indicate the boolit will impact ~7" to the right at 200 yards--To me that's absurd...
    Maybe and inch or two, but not 7"...
    Good-luck...BCB
    BCB,

Without knowing what you are shooting, this may be like comparing apples to oranges but--

The Precision Ballistics Software breaks down the right/left wind and head/tailwind deflections from wind direction and speed.

The new, not-yet-released, Precision Ballistics~Ultimate software now incorporates spin drift calculations into the trajectory information.

The Precision Ballistics~Ultimate software indicates a 1.32 inch spin drift deflection that would need to be subtracted from the left wind drift value of 9.1 inches.

The trajectory chart below indicates the values of the Lyman 31141 bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1800 fps fired into a 10mph wind blowing from a direction of 2 O'Clock.

I would have to agree with you that the 7 inches of spin drift at 200 does seem a mite excessive.

The excellent chart provided by Doc Highwall also needs to be taken into consideration as it shows the vertical, as well as the horizontal, direction of the deflection caused by a combination of the spin and wind direction.

Those deflection values, although quite real, are somewhat small in comparison to head and tail wind deflection values and should be added to or subtracted from the head/tail wind, side wind, and spin drift calculations for very precise trajectory calculations.

As yet, I have not been able to devise a means of incorporating either calculations or estimations of the plus and minus vertical deflection values caused by the combination of side wind and spin effects into the Precision Software.

Last edited by Tom Myers; 11-03-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Tom,

Thanks for the info…

I went back into QuickTarget and cleared all the entered data and then reentered being VERY CAREFUL to enter the correct data…

This stuff can be a bit tricky as some of the old data gets left in place and is missed by the person doing the entering!!!...

Regardless, I am shooting a 6.8mm SPC, NOE 279-124-FP, 23.0 grains of IMR-7383 for a blistering muzzle velocity of ~1600 fps from a T/C 23” carbine…

Upon reentry of numbers, QuickTarget calculated a drift to the right of .6” at 200 yards. That sure seems more realistic than the ~7” I previously mentioned. I appear to be getting about 1.5” drift, but that could just be me or the ‘scope is not mounted perfectly in line with the path of the boolit…

The problem: There was wind figured into the calculations. I did not notice it had been entered, thus, the 7” drift to the right…

Sorry for the misinformation…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master

Are there any used copies of Quickload out there?

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast