RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Quickload thread

Boolit Mold
    Ok, thanks BCB, appreciate your thoughts. The reason I have that wide range of Ba and Loading Ratio is that I wanted to figure out what powders are best for subsonic loads, and to understand why. It seems like TrailBoss is a good choice, but then I was surprised that it wasn't showing up as usable in the powder list. There doesn't seem to be any official user support for QuickLoad, but maybe I'll try contacting the developer directly.

By the way, something I realized when doing this is that a lot of the pistol powders that people usually recommend for subsonic loads need _very_ low filling ratios. Seems like that would give you a really unreliable load where you have to bump the powder into the bottom of the case before each shot. Discovering things like that is why I like QuickLOAD.

Dirk

Boolit Master

I am working with QuickLoad Target now and I am having the same problem as before...

It will not accept a - (minus) sign for windage...

That is, if bullet impacts are left of center, that is a minus impact. If you put the distance of impact from center as a - (minus) it will input as a positive...

This is very annoying and makes the calculations wrong. It indicates 'scope adjustment to the wrong direction...

If the creator of this program reads any of these posts, he should be aware of this...

In all honesty, the program is fun to work with, but it can not be trusted as far as sight adjustment goes. And with this problem, I wonder about other aspects of the program...

I am now 60/40 on not recommending this program...

This one "bug" makes the $150 program a bit of a damn mess--lots of money to have to interpret the results in the opposite it calculates them...

Just my thoughts to those who might be considering this expensive play toy program...

Good-luck...BCB

Moderator Emeritus
    Have you contacted Hans Broemel about this?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Hartmut G. Brömel: hartmut_broemel@web.de

Moderator Emeritus
    Thank you for the correction.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lars-K View Post
    Hartmut G. Brömel: hartmut_broemel@web.de
    Maybe I will contact him...

The results are strange...

My example: If my p.o.i. at 25 yards is 1" to the left of center and my 'scope adjusts at .25" at 100 yards, I should need to turn the windage 16 clicks to the right or positive...

But, the program will say a different number of clicks to adjust for a 100 yard zero. If I get it adjusted for vertical zero at 25 yards, it should take 16 clicks to put it in-line at 100 yards also. Assuming I am adjusting for 100 yards. Yet, it will indicate a different number of clicks to vertically zero at 100 yards. This is strange and it can not possibly be correct. The discrepancies are considerable and not just a click or 2...

One of the problems is there is not specific example in the pdf manuals. A specific example would show what is what with an explanation...

Oh well, it is a nice program and fun to mess around with, but I have sighted many many 'scoped firearms in over nearly 50 years and it followed that if I needed to turn windage 16 clicks at 25 yards to adjust 1" to the right since the p.o.i. was 1" to the left, the bullet would travel approximately 4" to the left at 100 yards and that would be 16 clicks to bring the p.o.i. to center...

This program does not show that and it is not close at times...

Probably just something I am doing wrong, but I will finish sighting-in my SRH this morning with just p.o.i. as they were shown on the targets yesterday--won't need the program to tell me how to do it...

And so it goes...

Good-luck...BCB

Did you guys ever get a powder profile of Trail Boss?

I got one a couple of years back when Hans posted it up on another forum.

Subsonic loads are right on the verge of where QL breaks down just like it does with snub nose handguns (velocities are way off).

I was developing a subsonic load for my .308. The first thing you need is the heaviest bullet you can find. I got the Lee C309-200-R because the 170g and 113g bullets simply went too fast with any appreciable amount of powder in the .308 cartridge. I started with 8g Red Dot and worked my way down. QL predicted 6.0g would get me 1036 and I only got 992. From there it simply was trial and error. I finally got a good load at 6.5g @ 1012fps with a 9.9 fps SD and the next time a 1005 fps average with a 10.2 fps SD making a "pretty big" single ragged hole at 50 yards. Time to stop.

Bottom line: Quick load is very good for predicting MV and staying safe in the pressure zone, but final load development is always up to the shooter.

Boolit Master

Does anyone know how to get the impact points to show on the Target program?...

I get it once in awhile, but not always...

It seems my computer might be the trouble?...

I am still debating in my mind how well I really like this QuickLoad program...

It's fascinating, but many times very user unfriendly...

I've read the manuals, but they don't give an actual example--It should start with a particular load and work through all the options...

Plus, the grids, etc. on the Target program are not to scale. I would be nice as one could just hold the shot target over the screen and use the curser to mark points of impact. But then, if I can't get it to show points of impact, guess it doesn't really matter...

Good-luck...BCB

Seems like there is a new Data upgrade from march 2015. Anybody knows what new powders that are added?

Boolit Grand Master

Is that posted anywhere?

Boolit Buddy
    New Quickload 3.8 user and I have a question about defining barrel length for revolvers. QL has it defined as breechface to muzzle, which in the case of a revolver would include the cylinder length, however conventional revolver measurement does not include cylinder length.

So should my 45 Colt 5.5" Blackhawk be listed as a 5.5" or 7.125" barrel length?

GMT

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Is that posted anywhere?
    Yes, found the info here:
    If you have 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5,3.6 CD versions, you can purchase a new data update that will update data and add new powders, cartridges and bullets to your existing version. This brings your data up to a date point of March 2015
    Link: http://quickload.co.uk/products/quic...isting-version

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GMT210 View Post
    New Quickload 3.8 user and I have a question about defining barrel length for revolvers. QL has it defined as breechface to muzzle, which in the case of a revolver would include the cylinder length, however conventional revolver measurement does not include cylinder length.

So should my 45 Colt 5.5" Blackhawk be listed as a 5.5" or 7.125" barrel length?

GMT
    According to the manual, you would go from the breech face because the program subtracts the length of the loaded cartridge. So, the boolit is actually traveling more than the actual length of the barrel...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lars-K View Post
    Yep, I purchased my QuickLoad program several months ago and it is V.3.8...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

I even read that multiple times but skipped over it multiple times :laugh:

Boolit Master
    Strange. Euro version is 3.6. Us version is 3.8 with last updated Jan 2014 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by khmer6 View Post
    Strange. Euro version is 3.6. Us version is 3.8 with last updated Jan 2014 I think.
    I have version 3.8 and I am in Europe
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

It depends on update of the website. Neconos was still advertising v3.6 several months after v3.8 was released. And, well the web page seems to be from the late 90's... The fastest sites advertising updates is often Finnland and UK. (UK has v3.8 on their site, and it's been there a long time.)

Boolit Master
    So, what would a person set the "friction proofed" setting to for powder coated boolits. I notice there is a velocity increase from what is shown only with the same loads that are now powder coated. Should I just leave it at .66 the same as a moly coated boolit?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    My version is: QuickLOAD©V.3.8/DLL: 1.00. I just got it very recently…

Mine has CFE-223 but no Alliant 300-MP…

I wish it had 300-MP also…

Good-luck…BCB
    There is not much data on 300 MP yet. I have a pound of it waiting for something to pop up that I want to try. To bad it did not make the cut on the new version.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast