Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New jug of H-110?

Boolit Buddy
    Triplebeards, I’m shooting out of the same batch of 50 pounds of SWC’s from the last time I batched up some Lyman No2. So same as before.

Murf, I have a 4 5/8” Blackhawk and a 4” 686. At twilight they both belch quite a fire ball with the H-110.

Willie

When I started hunting with a handgun, I shot a deer in, shall we say, some pretty dim light from inside a shooting house blind. It took a good bit of time for my vision to recover from the flash and my hearing was reduced to saying "huh" for a long time. Ah, youth, and the lessons we learn from dumb mistakes!! LOL But H110 gave me the highest velocities and that's what I was all about then. I'll bet that 1st Model 29 Smth and Wesson I owned was sure glad when I traded it off.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You missed the point. You altered your load based on one reading. One chronograph reading does not tell you much.
    One valid chronograph reading will tell you about what the velocity is. Close enough for bullet drop calculations and terminal ballistics guestimates. Like the man said, it is good enough for him. I would have shot all the test rounds over the chronograph, the op did not say why he did not.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    One valid chronograph reading will tell you about what the velocity is. Close enough for bullet drop calculations and terminal ballistics guestimates. Like the man said, it is good enough for him. I would have shot all the test rounds over the chronograph, the op did not say why he did not.

Tim
    The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze to me:
    I’m not dialing elevation or calculating drop here. This is a 100 yard point and shoot combo for me. Velocity wise I already knew the neighborhood it liked to shoot in with these components. The original load was not worked up with any considerations given to chronograph readings. I only chronographed the load that shoots to put it in my notes to reference when changing powder lots. That worked out with this new jug of powder. Once I knew velocity wise I was pretty close to where I needed to be, accuracy rather than velocity was driving the adjustment of charge weight with the new jug of H-110. What improvement was to be gained?
    Willie
    Last edited by Willie T; 01-20-2024 at 10:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    The juice wasn’t worth the squeeze to me:
    I’m not dialing elevation or calculating drop here. This is a 100 yard point and shoot combo for me. Velocity wise I already knew the neighborhood it liked to shoot in with these components. The original load was not worked up with any considerations given to chronograph readings. I only chronographed the load that shoots to put it in my notes to reference when changing powder lots. That worked out with this new jug of powder. Once I knew velocity wise I was pretty close to where I needed to be, accuracy rather than velocity was driving the adjustment of charge weight with the new jug of H-110. What improvement was to be gained?
    Willie
    Easy squeezy for meezy. Had the chrono out for one shot, why not record them all. I shoot groups over my chrono all the time.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Easy squeezy for meezy. Had the chrono out for one shot, why not record them all. I shoot groups over my chrono all the time.

Tim
    The light was flat today and suited my eyes to get the carbine back out and see what I could do. In bright sunshine I can’t do as well with the irons. I read some comments on here from time to time about cherry picking internet groups. 5 shots rested with the iron sights @ 100 yards to confirm the load. Groups opening up with the irons is why I use a scope when I’m working on a load these days. The carbine is actually printing about 1” high with a 6 o’clock hold. At age 63, the best I can see at 100 yards anymore is to center a fine bead on the diamond. Chronograph or not, a solid load @ 15.3 with the new lot of H-110. The data I originally used working the load up is in Lyman’s 4th. It shows 15.9 max with a Lyman plain base 158 grain cast with Lyman No2 sized to .358. I’m shooting gas checked Lee SWC’s sized @ .359. It also recommended to keep velocity at or below 1,600fps with micro grooves for accuracy… the load is MOA. With irons, I am not!

Willie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A771429A-EB9D-4AAC-97BA-D9A4E143851E.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	322427
    Last edited by Willie T; 01-21-2024 at 03:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12