Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Hercules powders Reloader #11

Boolit Master

Hercules powders Reloader #11

Ok talk about a shot on the dark! Anyone have an idea we’re I might find an old Hercules reloading manual from sometime around 1969? I’m looking for info on Reloader # 11! I believe it was produced from about 1967 to 1972, give or take. If anyone has any ideas feel free to pm!

Thanks
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Sure!

Oops… this only goes back to 2000 for Alliant manuals. Perhaps some of the other load manuals might have data for you though.

https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Reloading/
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman 44 has some Reloder 11 data in it.

https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...---%201967.pdf
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

What info are you looking for ...
    My "collection" of Reloading Manuals starts with Hornady #1- First Printing -1967 .
    I would buy reloading manuals from any/every publisher I could find .
    Many Lyman manuals , Speer , Hornady, Nosler , Sierra , RCBS ... all from those years 1967 to 1986 ...
    I would be glad to look in them ...
    ...What info are you lookin for... I might have the info in one of them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I used Re11 in my 22-250 way back then and got my data from Lyman 45th.
    For me, it seemed hotter than my 4320 loads but was harder to find so I stayed with 4320.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Well I’ve got a brand new 1 lb can, sealed, in perfect condition. And I really know nothing about the powder. I was hoping to find an old Hercules manual that possibly had a description of its application. With only having 1 pound and being discontinued back in about 1972 I don’t know if it’s worth working up a rifle load. I mean what are you doing when the pound is all gone? Then I got to thinking maybe it’s got applications to 410 Reloading. I have scanned the old Wyman manuals but they typically don’t have any shotgun information in it unless you actually can find a version of their shotgun reloading manual. So that’s where it stands now. I guess I should’ve elaborated a little more in my initial post. So I guess the question really is does anybody have any idea if it has any shotgun applications?

It’s too slow burning for shotgun shell loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It’s too slow burning for shotgun shell loading.

Thanks. That’s what I figured, but it was Worth a shot. No pun intended lol

Boolit Grand Master

One pound. You know you are going to find the best load ever for one of your rifles and spend the rest of your life searching for old cans of Reloder 11.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    One pound. You know you are going to find the best load ever for one of your rifles and spend the rest of your life searching for old cans of Reloder 11.
    I do that with Alcan #7
    funny story, after I interpolated/extrapolated a Load (and it's a great load) for 41 Mag, a friend points out to me, that's a Ken Waters pet load, LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Yep! That’s why I was kind of hoping it had some kind of shot gun application! Oh well it might wind up his fertilizer lol
    Or I’ll just load it up as range fotter! It certainly won’t be in some large case like 30-06 where it’s gonna take me a considerable amount and like you said, once I get the load worked out I’m out of powder!

Boolit Grand Master

This is the comments given in the Speer Manual #8 Jan. 1970 .
    Powders - metallic - handgun and rifle : RL - series
    RL-7 is the fastest burning of Hercules double-based rifle powders . Good in small and medium cartridges and in the larger calibers

RL-11 is the medium burning powder of the series . Especially good un medium capacity . Fine accuracy in many calibers .

RL-21 is the slowest of the Hercules rifle powders . The large grain size and relatively low density , restricts it's usefullness in many cases . It gives good accuracy with heavy bullets pn the medium to large of cases .

The Speer manual makes no mention any shotgun shell reloading applications in it's description of RL-7 , RL-11 or RL-21...

In the description of Red Dot powder it does include the statement that Red Dot is suitable for shotshell reloading .

This is about all I can find on RL-11 ... I don't have any Shotshell Reloading Manuals to look at ... hope this helps !

I still have 1 and 1/2 cans of Alcan #5 that I load a pet load in 38 special ... when powder gets hard to find .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Send it to me.
    I’ll use it up when I’m done with the Superformance and Norma Magnum powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’ve got a sealed can of reloader 11 I haven’t gotten around to using yet either. I was thinking about using mine in 30-30 and then I’ve got to find data for Hi-Vel no 2 and use that up...

Boolit Grand Master
    It was very good in my 30-30 with Speer 150 grain bullets, but it disappeared. IIRC, I used the factory equivalent load from the Lyman 45th--32.0 grains. I use 748 now.
    But you should get 200+ loads of 30-30 out of your pound, and that should be a lot of venison.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    It was very good in my 30-30 with Speer 150 grain bullets, but it disappeared. IIRC, I used the factory equivalent load from the Lyman 45th--32.0 grains. I use 748 now.
    But you should get 200+ loads of 30-30 out of your pound, and that should be a lot of venison.
    Well I won’t get any, cause I don’t own a 30-30. Wait maybe that’s an excuse to buy a new rifle! Let me know how this sounds” Honey I was on the forum the other day and his fellow member rintinglen, said that this powder I have is real good in 30-30. Well you know I don’t have a 30-30 so rintinglen said I should just go buy a rifle chambered on 30-30! “. Well how do you think that’s gonna fly with the Mrs.? Oh and before I broach the subject with her about this do me a favor and PM your phone number and address cause I’m sure once I say those words to my wife she’s gonna wanna have a real long conversation with you! Lol come to think of it either I better not say anything or if I do it’ll probably be a good idea for both me and you to move to a different state. Lol
    No seriously I found rifle data for it. I found some for 06 and limited amounts for 223. If you ever get over by the Norfolk area over here I’m actually in Hampton and you can use it for your 3030 send me a PM. I mean it’s not like I can ship it but I just as soon give it to somebody that actually had a real use for it. Best as I can tell you’re about 2 1/2 hours from me.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B12F9411-98FF-44F2-BAB5-E11E796CFFA1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	322351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08B53B50-CEFE-4363-ADF8-55A5181D10EB.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	322352

Give her my number. I’ll tell her you must get a 30-30 AI to go along with the standard 30-30