Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Deer shanks in the crock pot

Deer shanks in the crock pot

I've been trying the keto fad this year with some success so far.
    So I need high fat meals with very few carbs.
    So I put some deer shanks in the crock pot all night last night, done Mississippi pot roast style.
    Turned out delicious.

Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Bub
    Looks good! I've thought of trying something like that. There's a good bit of meat there but if you try to trim it out uncooked you wind up with nothing. One of my favorite underrated pieces of venison is the neck. I do the same thing - cook it intact then de-bone and remove the tendons and other undesirable parts. Good eating! Had venison chili today.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6GUNSONLY View Post
    Looks good! I've thought of trying something like that. There's a good bit of meat there but if you try to trim it out uncooked you wind up with nothing. One of my favorite underrated pieces of venison is the neck. I do the same thing - cook it intact then de-bone and remove the tendons and other undesirable parts. Good eating! Had venison chili today.
    The unfortunate part about venison neck is if it is a small young deer, yearling, they have the same amount of fascia (deer snot) as the larger deer, just less red meat between the layers of snot. A lot of times I leave the neck on a young deer for that reason.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by 6GUNSONLY View Post
    I think it tastes better when cooked bone in as well.
    This was a medium sized doe and I actually trimmed it all off. It took a while, but with a really sharp filet knife, I got nearly all of it.
    And yes, neck roast is great eating. Another cut that is tough if you don't cook it low and slow.
    I love crock pot meals though. Doesn't matter the cut of meat, 8 hours on low and it's falling apart.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Not wanting to waste it we always tried to cut up the shanks. What a watse of time. We finally gave up on them and threw them away for several years until we discovered what Osso Bucco was. NEVER again will I throw away another shank. GOOOOOD eating

Boolit Mold
    I like to slow cook the shanks for stew. I actually cut off the condyles so that the shanks could fit completely into the pot. What I found is that after slow cooking them the marrow cooked down into the base and made for a tastier stew. After 10 -14 hours of slow cooking the meat easily falls off of the bone. Connective tissue cooks down into the broth. When it is refrigerated you can see that it congeals and becomes gelatinous. Once reheated its liquid again. I like to cut out the large tendons and get a good amount of silver skin off. Once the silver skin begins to pull away the muscle meat I leave it alone and cook it. I wish it was easier to post photos.

Looks great!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

That makes me hungry.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

I brown them but like to make sure they cook slow enough to fall apart. A secret ingredient is a 12 oz can of V8. It adds flavor and moisture more than water and bullion.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze