MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto start/stop on my new car

I have that stupid feature on my 2018 F150 it has a defeat feature on the dash which gets turned off as soon as the truck starts.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    People wonder why I drive old cars.

>>>SNIP
    Amen to that. Me too.
    A few years back, my farmer friend who always will buy new cars/trucks when a replacement is needed, told me about his discontent with a new car purchase (2021 ford explorer) as it had all kinds of new features he wasn't use to. I asked him if he looked at Toyotas? He tells me this story... about 20 years ago, they looked at Toyota's and he said, they were basic and the features it did have, were at least 10 years old in reference to the rest of the car world. He said, they are behind the times...the 2004 Toyota RAV4 that he looked at, was more like a 1995 car with it's outdated features.
    This gave me a warm feeling in my heart, as I am currently driving two different Toyotas, 2005 and 2008. According to my friend, I am driving old cars, LOL.
    Talking about replacing starters. My 2005 Matrix with 275Kmi, just had the starter quit working last summer. It was the original starter. $200 for the new replacement, which I opted for...but I almost went with a junkyard starter, I didn't check that price, but would have probably been $25.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I have that stupid feature on my 2018 F150 it has a defeat feature on the dash which gets turned off as soon as the truck starts.
    Some Options to force a restart, if you don't care to use the feature defeat button, but are inconvenienced by shut down like sitting at a stop sign in heavy traffic:
    While holding brake, a jab on the accelerator will force a restart and will not shut down again until the vehicle has progressed forward above a speed threshold.
    Waggle the steering wheel - might need to be somewhat forceful (i.e. several degrees, not just an off center/play waggle)
    Dramatically increase electrical load - turn on seat heaters, rear defrost, headlights, etc.
    Turn A/C to max cold, max blower.

Probably some other tricks that I didn't uncover in the strategy, and I won't go too much further...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Good to know you can turn that feature off.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I really like the collision avoidance package, especially when mt kids are driving the car! Many accidents can be prevented using it.
    Sounds more like much experience is not learned or gained because of it.

Boolit Master
    Along these same lines is the 8 cylinder/4 cylinder feature. I could always feel when my 2012 Silverado went into 4 cylinder mode. I could feel a vibration and hear the change in the exhaust note. A couple of years ago I learned that when in the 4 cylinder mode, extra vacuum is applied to the disabled valves which results in oil consumption. Since the Silverado with 85,000 miles was beginning to use a wee bit of oil, I found a gizmo that plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and disables that 4 cylinder/8 cylinder stuff.

It worked. The truck now runs smooth like it was supposed to. There is no oil consumption between 3,000 mile oil changes, and believe it or not, the fuel miles per gallon actually increased.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Sounds more like much experience is not learned or gained because of it.
    Actually I really like the feature. If you’re driving for a extended period of time it helps keep us from getting road hypnotized.
    I think it really promotes road awareness which is a good thing for everybody sharing the road.

Just think how popular a plain car/truck would be, if the government would allow. Just think no electric windows to replace, no computers to update, or replace. The only feature would be modern ignition, and fuel injection. Heat/AC would be back to cables instead of computer controls. Just add mounting points set aside for customer added touch screens. I would also get rid of the carpet.

Boolit Master

My wife's 2016 Cruze has that feature and as far as I can find out, there in no way to disable the feature on that model. We have to put on a new battery every 12 to 15 months.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Our Chrysler Pacifica has that, but with the "have to shut it off every single time" bonus. Separate battery for the start/stop system, but it causes massive issues when it goes, even if the primary is still good.

On a prius it's the electrical motor that starts the engine. Almost 250k miles and no major parts except a catalytic converter due to a brave crackhead.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Just think how popular a plain car/truck would be, if the government would allow. Just think no electric windows to replace, no computers to update, or replace. The only feature would be modern ignition, and fuel injection. Heat/AC would be back to cables instead of computer controls. Just add mounting points set aside for customer added touch screens. I would also get rid of the carpet.
    BINGO!!! The only accessories I desire are air conditioning, power steering, automatic transmission, and cruise control. My age makes me desire the auto tranny, but a manual would be just fine.

I drive my dad’s last truck; I bought it from him a year before he passed.
    Dad was a simple man; he didn’t want electric windows or a radio for his new truck(2008).
    He got his wish on the windows- it’s hilarious when a passenger just stares at that window crank handle….
    I taught all three of my kids (and two nephews)how to drive a manual transmission vehicle when they were 10 years old.
    I have no idea if they have retained that knowledge……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I was researching buying a used Lexus SUV with the 4.7 V8. The starter is on top of the engine and under the intake manifold. It's quite a job to replace the starter.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Actually I really like the feature. If you’re driving for a extended period of time it helps keep us from getting road hypnotized.
    I think it really promotes road awareness which is a good thing for everybody sharing the road.
    You get road hypnotized in stop and go traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Must be the blinking lights...

Boolit Buddy

on my 2018 f150. it wont auto stop if a trailer is hooked up. some guys run a pig tail to fool it.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I retired as a GM dealership tech 3 years ago. I cannot remember the last time I replaced a starter due to failure. While I agree the auto stop/start feature is annoying as hell, I did not see an increased failure rate of components including batteries due to it. Just my experience with the system.
    Curiosity question : how long has it been since this was first implemented until you retired?

Bad ideas sometimes take a while to become obvious and by then it's too late to do anything but pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    He was responding to collision avoidance, not auto start-stop.

Threw me off for a minute, too.

Boolit Master

When we bought a 2019 Ford Flex I mentioned to the salesman I did not like the feature and the dealer turned it off I forget how to get to it .
    In both very hot and very cold weather the car shutting down on stopping also stops heating and cooling a very poor idea .

I drove one car that had a button on the dash for the stopping engine I forget what it was (rental*) and each time the car was started the button had to be set or it would shut the engine down when stopped .

* it may have been a Ford Edge?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast