Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee Alox on gas check boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Lee Alox on gas check boolits?

When I started gas checking a few years ago, I found it was a LOT easier to size and check them (lee push through) if I lubed them first. I would lube them again before loading. BTW, these are primarily low power 30-06 loads. It's not hard to notice that the boolits retain a fair bit of alox after sizing/checking. So the question is, should I continue to lube a second time (before loading) or not worry about it.

i also use the Lee sizer to install gas checks - i have always done like you + apply the alox both before + after - jmho the gas checks usually contact the rifling, so the alox offers protection against the copper or aluminum does not leave any deposits on the bore -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

It's true that when lubed it's easier to size them,
    but once lubed they offer less resistance to the effort necessary to seat the g.c., furthermore they may have alox residues at the base which make seating less accurate and constant.
    I prefer seat the g.c. sizing them dry, next I go with alox, but if I'm wrong I will appreciate other opinions_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy

I've never had issues of to little resistance to seat the GC.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    jmho the gas checks usually contact the rifling, so the alox offers protection against the copper or aluminum does not leave any deposits on the bore -
    That is a fair point. I never thought of that.

Boolit Grand Master

Be sure and thin the LLA with Mineral Spirits 50-50 if you are going to give boolits two coats . Two thin coats work better than one or two thick coats .

My first mistake was using LLA as it came from the bottle ... too thick .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I use Imperial...applied via finger, if lubing of checks is desired...as in push thru..zero Excess!!!!

Boolit Master
    +1 on using a Lee push through sizer to seat & crimp gas checks. They work really good at this. I seat the checks and size dry, then swirl lube with 45-45-10.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    but once lubed they offer less resistance to the effort necessary to seat the g.c., furthermore they may have alox residues at the base which make seating less accurate and constant.
    I prefer seat the g.c. sizing them dry, next I go with alox, but if I'm wrong I will appreciate other opinions_
    That's what I do
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I always tumble lube bullets before gas checking/sizing and lube again afterwards and have zero leading problems.

Moderator Emeritus

I rarely use Tumble lube with GC boolits, I think the only time was with some 60gr NOE boolits for 222rem. I did TL them before sizing/GC and a second time afterward. I did this early on, in my casting hobby, as a test with wrinkled boolits. I sized/GC/lubed some that looked perfect with traditional wax based lube(lyman lubesizer). Then I sized/GC some wrinkly boolits (sized with push thru Lee die in reloading press). Now, there were some other factors involved, but them dang wrinkly boolits grouped better than the lubesizered boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Be sure and thin the LLA with Mineral Spirits 50-50 if you are going to give boolits two coats . Two thin coats work better than one or two thick coats .

My first mistake was using LLA as it came from the bottle ... too thick .
    Gary
    been using LLA since it was introduced - never used anything to thin it but i put bottle in hot water before using, especially in cold weather - jmho thinning it with any solvent deceases lubricity of film left on bullet surface -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always lubed before sizing and GCing and then again after. I thought it was good insurance. It probably depends on how many you plan to load at a time. If you only wanted to lube once, I would do it after GCing. However, lubed boolits are always easier to run through a sizer.

...first mistake was using LLA as it came from the bottle ... too thick .
    I just put a dab of ALOX on thumb/forefinger, rotate the bullet sides to thinly coat, the put it upright on tray. Since coating is so/extremely thin, can do a half dozen more before another dab of Bryclreem

Wash hands/Throw tray into warm (225°)oven 2 hours/to drive off the solvent/dry overnite/shoot whenever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Normally no lube when using Lee push-through.
    Worse case? spritz of Hornady 1-shot case lube.

I most always size bullets/install gas checks on unlubed bullets. Then I tumble lube. I mix a bottle of Alox with a can of paste wax for my tumble lube. I normally only give bullets 1 coat. I heat both the lube and the bullets and they are dry and hard the next morning.

I don't shoot many tumble lubed bullets in rifle cartridges, but I have some in 30-30. I've shot a good bit of tumble lubed bullets in handguns though.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

I always prep the base and check with NOE's GC tools, seat and crimp the check in a Lyman 4500. Then I lube size after that.

Boolit Master

Lube after sizing.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.