Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Bambi Didn't Jump In Front of My Truck Today!

Boolit Buddy

Bambi Didn't Jump In Front of My Truck Today!

We have sooooo many deer in Pennsylvania ! So, Pennsylvania has an exclusive 3-week muzzle loading flintlock-only season. Maintaining a working flintlock rifle is a skill! Usually its snowing and cold; sometimes it rains in this hunting season. Getting a good spark from a well knapped flint crashing into a hard frizzen, lighting up the flash powder in the panClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Flintlockbuck2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	322229 and a clear vent with ignition plus a well aimed rifle sometimes yields results! Today was one of those days. A small 7 point whitetail paused for an instant for the flash-boom. Instead of colliding with my pick up truck; this guy took a 54cal. hand cast lead round ball boolit from my Leigh Valley Pennsylvania long rifle. Every meal with a venison entree throughout the year brings a pleasant memory.

Congratulations! That is easier said than done!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Well done!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    well done, indeed!

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats. You make it sound easy

Nice. I can confidently say bagging bambi with a rifle is massively less expensive than bagging bambi with the wife's Mazda.

Boolit Buddy

Brimstone: You said it! My wife's Dodge Caravan should have Bambi stickers on the front door or fender just like WWII fighter pilots had Jap meatballs or German Swastika's painted on the side of their airplanes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    We have sooooo many deer in Pennsylvania ! So, Pennsylvania has an exclusive 3-week muzzle loading flintlock-only season. Maintaining a working flintlock rifle is a skill! Usually its snowing and cold; sometimes it rains in this hunting season. Getting a good spark from a well knapped flint crashing into a hard frizzen, lighting up the flash powder in the panClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Flintlockbuck2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	322229 and a clear vent with ignition plus a well aimed rifle sometimes yields results! Today was one of those days. A small 7 point whitetail paused for an instant for the flash-boom. Instead of colliding with my pick up truck; this guy took a 54cal. hand cast lead round ball boolit from my Leigh Valley Pennsylvania long rifle. Every meal with a venison entree throughout the year brings a pleasant memory.
    Rockingdaddy,

Well Done! I live on a 60-acre farm in Tioga County and we do NOW have many deer on Private Land. Public land deer are scarce because PGC keeps issuing far too many doe tags.

My first flintlock muzzleloader was a .45 caliber Hawken in 1976. I now have .50 and .54 flintlocks that I carry in the after Christmas PA flintlock season. I agree with you, a flintlock in that PA season takes much attention. It rained several days in the last season and I did not get a shot.

I much prefer the October muzzleloader season, but unfortunately the PGC only allows us to take does for that short 7-day season while archery hunters have 7 weeks (September to November) for either deer with proper license. There are about 225,000 PA muzzleloaders and about 330,000 archers. The Pennsylvania Game Commission favors the archery hunters who take about half the deer these days. The archery hunters take almost half the annual deer harvest since crossbows were made legal in 2010. No October muzzleloader can take a buck under current PGC regulations. Why? I prefer to hunt bucks during nice Indian Summer weather in October. Only archery hunters have that option. I am lobbying to change that unfairness.

Be well.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 01-16-2024 at 01:52 PM.