Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: “A USA” head stamped brass?

Boolit Master

“A USA” head stamped brass?

Is this stuff any good for reloading? I read another forum where folks unanimously threw it in the scrap bin, but that was .45 ACP. This .38 Special brass is all range brass of unknown history.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7536.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	322221

I consider it as some of the worst. I found it to be stiff crappy brass that cracks easily work hardens extremely quickly and it's ugly.

I've reloaded a couple of handfuls of pieces here and there without any issues in calibers 38 special and 45 auto. Not enough to really get a feel for it.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 01-15-2024 at 11:16 PM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    I had an opinion about the quality of this many years ago. I saw case splits on new cases. However, presently I know of an individual that uses this head stamp on 223 cases with slightly reduced loads and gets several reloading cycles shooting them in an AR platform. He happens to use the FC head stamp for match and the A-USA for practice with Junior Shooters and they work fine in that application. Those are the only caliber that I have personal knowledge about for that head stamp.

Boolit Master
    To answer your question, A-Cor stands for Armscorps company

I have had no problems with loading A-Cor so far with 223, 9mm, 40 cal

beltfed/arnie

I bought many, many thousands of 223 years ago, and got a lot of the same feedback about them being junk. So....I torture tested 20 cases, and I think I quit at 8 or 9 full house loadings with zero splits. No annealing, FL sized every time. I also tested them for consistency in case capacity (another gripe I heard about them) and over several 10-round samples, they were not quite as good as LC brass, but awfully dang close. Over the chrono....the same. Not quite as good...but again pretty dang close.

FWIW - I still have, use and shoot most of it....and don't mind it at all. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a change in source for their brass, and that the older stuff was, in fact, pretty inferior. My experience with newer A-USA brass, in .223, has been pretty good. YMMV.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I haven't loaded any of it for a while now, I just pitch it. The problem I had was off center flash holes.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

The very few 9mm I found in my bucket had very off center flash holes, almost as bad as Perfecta, so it goes in the scrap bag. Every time the bag is full I sell it to the recyclers for enough to get some high quality Chinese food.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    …..The problem I had was off center flash holes.
    ^^^this^^^
    But to be fair the only experience I have is with 38 spec and 45 acp.

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Is this stuff any good for reloading? I read another forum where folks unanimously threw it in the scrap bin, but that was .45 ACP. This .38 Special brass is all range brass of unknown history.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7536.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	322221
    Toss it. Garbage! I had some once that was given to me. It was once fired. At the first reloading half of the necks cracked.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Different people have different experiences with this product, which is the definition of poor quality. I’ll scrap these. Thanks everybody!

Boolit Buddy
    I tried to use it in 10mm. Anymore id prefer to just throw it in the scrap bin, it causes alot ftf's

Let the recyclers turn them into doorknobs and candlestick holders.

Boolit Master

I was priming 30 carbine in today. Several hundred mixed HS, all of which I’ve reloaded several times before. Probably had around 40 of them with the ‘A-USA’ head stamp. Of those 13 wouldn’t fit into the LEE Auto-Bench shell holder. The base below the extraction groove was too thick to slide into the holder. I then remembered I had experienced the same problem while trying to prime some of this brass before. They will fit into the shell holder that’s part of my 30 carbine die set, but the Auto-Bench uses a different style holder.
    What’s even more perplexing is that both times this has happened the problem cases HAD fit into the primer shell holder during previous repriming and reloading sessions. So I checked the base of these faulty cases with a straight edge and couldn’t perceive any out-of-flat ‘proud’ distortion across the base that might be making the base too tall to fit. I alway load all 30 carbine loads at 14 gr 4227, which is at least .5 grains below max. This gives me 2000 fps from the carbine and 1930 from the pistol, with both firearms functioning flawlessly.
    I don’t have this ‘base growth’ issue with any other HS 30 carbine brass.
    Guess this will just be one of those unsolved mysteries.