RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car battery tester)

Boolit Master

Car battery tester)

There are several car battery testers that are around $20.00. Does anyone have experience with them? Will they accurately load test a battery?
    My car would not start about 3 weeks ago. I jump started it and no problems until this last cold snap. I jumped it and ran it 15 minutes. Tried to start it it 2 days later and no start. I bought a new battery. Voltage was low and alternator was putting out 14.5 volts.
    Just for kicks I put the old battery on my charger. It has charged and maintained 12.5 volts for three days. My experience is a bad battery will not hold voltage when setting. Did I buy a battery I did not need.
    The old battery was a 24 month warranty battery and lasted 27 months.. Anyway what are the testers like for cars and lawnmower batteries.

O'Reillys auto parts test batteries for free. I bought a cheap battery charger/tester off Amazon and im not exactly sure how trustworthy it is for testing batteries. Although it does charge 12v batteries ok.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I get the biggest and baddest batteries I can close the hood on for our car & truck.
    Then change them out after 3 years.
    Of the battery problems I've had, they are always away from home when it's super hot, real cold, raining,
    or at the farthest point of a long trip.

I used to know a guy that worked at the old Dallas Lead Plant.
    He said that by the different alloys & such that went into making a certain type or size battery,
    they could predict within a few weeks how long it would last in different climates with average use.
    The price and warranty period is adjusted accordingly.

Sometimes they go out like a light bulb, sometimes they just get weaker and weaker for their storage capacity.
    Then, like a bucket full of gravel: It doesn't take much water to fill it, but it doesn't really hold much either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

The newer cars trucks have a constant draw on the battery even when turned off. computers lights clocks some of the newer radios also have a constant draw.

Now the remote starter, anti theft, remote door locks, clock, computer, possibly the fuel system, the dash instruments all draw with the car not running. This lowers how long they can sit with out starting and being ran.

It may just be a vicious rumor, but I've heard from a couple places that Ford vehicles have more draw
    when they're 'off' than other cars & trucks, and will 'eat' a battery sooner
    if you don't crank 'em up & drive them fairly often.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Load testers cost more than 20 dollars.

Boolit Master

Walkingwolf
    That was my thoughts also. But there are several units on Fleabay that claim a load test around $20.00 bucks.

Boolit Mold
    I bought this last yearfrom Amazon. I just checked and they are still in stock. I have only used it twice to check questionable batteries and have had good results. It's $54.00 though.

2 in 1 Car Battery Tester, TOPDON BT100W 12V Bluetooth Battery Tester Automotive Supported Battery Library, 100-2000 CCA Alternator Tester Digital Battery Load Tester Charging Cranking System Tester

As mentioned above, if you don't want problems replace your batteries every 3-4 years. Or wait until you're stuck somewhere and throw a fit. Then replace your battery.

Your choice.

Boolit Master
    A good battery load tester will put a 150 to 250 amp on a battery. You need to put the approximate starter draw amperage on the battery for 15 seconds. The battery voltage needs to stay above 11 volts for the 15 sec time. The battery needs to be fully charged before the test.

A $20 tester doesn't have the ability to load a battery to that high a draw for that length of time. A good tester will have a carbon pile in it that will handle that much load. There are several 500 amp carbon pile testers listed on Amazon in the $65 to $100 range.

If your battery only lasts 3 or 4 years I would hope common sense would tell you to change brands.
    Between work and personal, we have 10 trucks and only change a battery maybe every 5 or 6 years. Usually more.
    Ive had my personal truck for over 17 years and only changed the battery once

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It may just be a vicious rumor, but I've heard from a couple places that Ford vehicles have more draw
    when they're 'off' than other cars & trucks, and will 'eat' a battery sooner
    if you don't crank 'em up & drive them fairly often.
    This may be true! I just bought a 2023 Ford Truck, to replace my 2012 model and it has all kinds of electric stuff!

I'm another that buys the biggest battery that will fit the battery box when I have to replace one. I've been getting 5 years or so out of the original batteries in the last several vehicles that I've owned.

You can find the old battery testers that service techs used about 20 years for a reasonable price on ebay.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    My car would not start about 3 weeks ago. I jump started it and no problems until this last cold snap. I jumped it and ran it 15 minutes. Tried to start it it 2 days later and no start.
    That sounds like a pretty good test to me.

Boolit Master
    My dad taught me to turn on the headlights, start the car, headlights dim brown, there's your starting amps.
    Headlights should dim a little but not much. Cheapest battery test.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    I bought this last yearfrom Amazon. I just checked and they are still in stock. I have only used it twice to check questionable batteries and have had good results. It's $54.00 though.

2 in 1 Car Battery Tester, TOPDON BT100W 12V Bluetooth Battery Tester Automotive Supported Battery Library, 100-2000 CCA Alternator Tester Digital Battery Load Tester Charging Cranking System Tester
    That looks like a neat tester - I just ordered one, should be here Friday.

Boolit Master

I've been pretty fortunate, never HAD to change a battery. Current vehicle is a 2013 F150 with the original battery. The spare, a 2008 Focus, also has the factory original. Before that, 1994 Pontiac went 14 years with the factory battery and a 2008 Dodge Caravan went 12 years.

Replacing a battery after 3-5 years is good insurance for sure, but I just keep a jump-pak in every vehicle. They work great to help people out, and no way to mess up my vehicle when I do. Probably need to use it on a vehicle I own (other than the riding mower...) at some point.

I know I've been lucky though...

Boolit Master
    Summer kills a battery and winter burys it. Shouldn’t have over 50 ma. Draw while sleeping, if you have more then wont last more than a few days. Like battery tenders that keep em charged.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Is not your car starter motor a pretty good "battery tester"? My truck is in your boat right now. It may not start today as I've not run it in 4 or 5 days. But if I start if every day, it is very dependable. It is a mystery to me how one day the terminals are loose and moving all around and no connection. I always get the biggest CCA that fit under the hood. I hate side mounts
    Once bought a battery for my lawn tractor -1970 JD 112. It takes a smaller but full size car battery. I always get the biggest that will fit in the box so in a pinc I can use it in the car/truck. Girl manager t the car place could not understand why I was measuring the battery with a tape. It was not what her little book said. Limited life experience.

I’ve had AAA check a battery and the technician said it was good. I ended up buying a new battery and concluding the testers they use aren’t perfect.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast