Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: .3i80 and .38 special range report

Boolit Master

.3i80 and .38 special range report

Intro: it’s cold, weather is wretched with snow, rain and ice here in mid coast Maine, and I’m old. So, I don’t get out to the shop to do reloading very much.

I know this is about cast bullets, but in consequence of the above, I started looking at what ammo can be bought, and there were complaints of scarcity, political turmoil, and possible shutdown of US manufacture ammo, over on the Politics thread. I posted an article about finding and buying .41 Magnum ammo, and then a range report on lever guns thread. Politics thread gets recycled and deleted as it ages, so my article there is gone now.

But in this spirit, I wanted to buy some ammo for two handguns, which I did, and finally shot them today, and give a range report.
    Foreign manufacturers are delighted to make and sell ammo into the US. All I have seen so far is good, reloadable, brass cased ammo. I bought Aguila (Mexican) and Fiocchi (Italian). Costs about $22 a box of 50, plus shipping. Delivery 4 to 5 days. A hundred rounds (2 boxes) seemed enough.

.380 auto Husqvarna Swedish military bushed from .380 long to .380 Auto, when they came on the surplus market, back around 1962. Aguila .380 95 grain FMJ. Group 5 into 3.15” at 25 yds wrist rest.

.38 Special S&W model 10 4” barrel , fixed sight. Fiocchi .38 spl 158 grain JHP, 850 fps. Group 4 into 1.8” at 25 yds wrist rest, outliers at 8 and 12 o’clock due to poor light on sights.

Both guns grouped at point of aim. By the way, measuring to a twentieth of an inch, 0.05”, is easy with a draftsman’s engineer’s scale.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

OMG only 850fps, the speed queens will be having fits. Just kidding, but I did get accused of liking weak ammo by a YouTube reviewer.

Boolit Master
    Fiocchi prints that right on the box. For .38 special, they make 110 gr @ 1100 fps, 125 gr @ 1050 fps, 158 gr @ 850 fps, 148 gr @ 750 fps.
    The gun is an old police Smith and Wesson model 10, fixed sights. I picked what I thought would shoot to the sights. It did.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

When it gets cold here(7degrees right now) I only shoot handguns at close range.
    You chose some very good ones to shoot!
    And some good Ammo.
    I like the brands you mentioned and also Monarch(Academy)brand from Serbia.
    You Northern people have my respect for surviving and thriving in the cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yes, my hat is off to our New England and Great Lakes states Yankees for living with such cold winters. Heck, I don't even care to go out and shoot if it is much cooler than 50, and we are at 8 this morning in West Central Texas.
    I did manage to put about 70 rounds through the LCP Max last week: a box of Armscor 95-grain FMJ flat points, which seemed to have plenty of oomph; 10 Hornady Critical Defense 90-grain gummy tips; and 10 rounds trying the new-to-me Lee TL-356-95 RF over 3.3 of Unique. I wish I had brought my chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    When it gets cold here(7degrees right now) I only shoot handguns at close range.
    You chose some very good ones to shoot!
    And some good Ammo.
    I like the brands you mentioned and also Monarch(Academy)brand from Serbia.
    You Northern people have my respect for surviving and thriving in the cold!

Hey, I remember it getting cold in Texas when I was stationed there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Hey, I remember it getting cold in Texas when I was stationed there.
    You ought to see what happens with they get a 1/4" of snow in Dallas. You'd think the entire highway system came to a halt... I'm from SE Oklahoma, and it would amaze me while in Dallas how they have zero ability to drive in even the lightest of snowy conditions.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Yes, 1-10 in Katy was closed today by an 18-wheeler on its side in a skiff of snow.

Boolit Master
    Hey Texans can DRIVE in snow and ice. Just can’t turn or stop!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I learned long ago in Texas to just stay home for snow and ice road conditions.
    That day (or week’s) pay won’t cover fixing your vehicle!

Boolit Master

To be honest, when it snows here (in Maine) you want to stay off the roads. People here don't drive well in snow or other wintry conditions. I have a little Ford Focus with un-studded snow tires that get me anywhere I need to go in snow.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm from central Northern Lower Michigan. We get Lake effect snows. It's not bad driving until you get to the urban areas. Then, you're driving with the "Citiots."

Back on topic, years ago: My uncle born and raised here had a trucking company in Texas. They got a freak snow (less that 2 inches). He pulled his trucks off the road when two drivers tangled together in the parking yard without clearing the gate to the road.