Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipe kinetic bullet puller

Boolit Master

This is just what I needed!

Over the years I have busted an RCBS and a Hornady kenetic puller, (WV coal-miner, retired, says it all!)

And I was using a hard-wood block, not concrete with the puller!

Anything I use has to be "heavy duty, hard service" rated!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

See "update" in my last post..... Works except for the plastic centering ring I printed.....I redesigned that non "heavy duty" part of the tool....now it's just a centering ring....no bottom to get mashed and it works perfect. If one can find nylon washers to fit inside the pipe thread, and drill out the center to 1/2" should do the same thing without a 3D printer. Happy now...works like a charm.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-19-2024 at 07:23 PM.

I’m thinking that I may have to assemble one of these myself.
    Thanks for sharing, GWS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    This is just what I needed!

Over the years I have busted an RCBS and a Hornady kenetic puller, (WV coal-miner, retired, says it all!)

And I was using a hard-wood block, not concrete with the puller!

Anything I use has to be "heavy duty, hard service" rated!
    I have a bother-in-law just like you, and my sister gets that honor with computer programs. If I can "Sally-proof" my programming, I've got something that works. My brother-in-law brought home a brand new Jeep Wrangler last year. By the end of the week he had it in the shop 3 times.....he can break anything.....and he hadn't even taken it off-road yet.

We all need "heavy duty" beta testers like you! Then we KNOW it's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’m thinking that I may have to assemble one of these myself.
    Thanks for sharing, GWS!
    Just trying to help. One more thing about threaded pipe......it wants to unscrew with the banging. So wrench the joints you don't want/need to take loose with every use......and re-hand-tighten after every three strokes, the caps and reducers that you "want" to unscrew after every bullet removal operation. And keep an extra bottom....even cast iron can crack eventually.

One more thing.....new uncrimped rounds may come apart in 3 strokes.....but many others take more, sometimes way more strokes. If you don't hear the bullet fall, (noisy house like mine sometimes) you can unscrew the bottom bullet/powder reservoir (cap I sprayed red) and check.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-20-2024 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    GWS thanks for the write up and video. It is slightly different from what I remember the one in NRA article but looks like a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    GWS thanks for the write up and video. It is slightly different from what I remember the one in NRA article but looks like a better one.
    First, in those "ancient" days they didn't even have the internet or telescoping clear plastic rigid tubing to line the pipe with.

Second, the one built one off the plan in the Nat. Rifleman article was smaller....3/8" pipe....had no reducers from larger caps. They used metal clips that went into case head groove which held it against the top of the pipe.....and we were supposed to figure out a way to hold it there.....thumbs?....and yes that option was a little painful. So people improvised......mine was just one of many ways to do it and it evolved. From those simple NRA plans, RCBS was inspired to come up with their plastic mallet idea. The rest is history.

Oh, and BTW, I took that first little one to show a friend at work. He had a cartridge in his car he wanted to try it on. He was a BIG guy, and I guess thought he was pounding railroad spikes. The little 3/8" cast iron cap at the bottom split on the 3rd mighty swing.....and pieces of it and the bullet and powder was all over the shop floor. So the next one was bigger and stronger and we refrained from mighty earth shattering impacts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12