Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: What is the name of this cartridge?

What is the name of this cartridge?

So awhile back I posted trying to find a cartridge setup for a lightweight walk about rifle round. Like the idea of the 30 badger but wanted a little more power. Decided on running a piece of 357 mag brass through a 300 blackout die. What would you call this little booger? Obviously a rimmed 300 blackout but just wondering if there is a name specifically for this setup. Also what twist would you use? Not looking for suppressed. 110-170grain is the planClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5403.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	322040
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

I was just thinking about that my goodness!

So I've got this big bucket of 38 Special brass, then my eyes diverted to the 300 Blackout resizing die and then I started rubbing my two brain cells together... I wonder how well that would work with 225 grain Spire point bullets

The 30 badger is wonderful with the 38 special. I don’t know how it would work with the 300 blackout die. Interesting thought. I used magnum brass on thisnone
    -John Wayne

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    300 BO is based on the 221 Fireball/223 Remington case dimensions, and the base diameter is smaller than 38/357.
    The 300BO sizing die supplied by Lee has been reported to be over-size (lots of chatter on the 300 BO threads about cases formed in Lee dies not fitting the chamber). I took a Lee 300 BO die and "dressed" the area of the die below the shoulder so that it would fit a 357 case. Was easy: split the end of a dowel that was slightly smaller than the die, inserted emery cloth and chucked this in a cordless drill, set on low speed. The task of opening up the die body took about 5 minutes of careful honing. One can do a finish polishing with a linen swatch in place of the emery cloth and jeweler's rouge.
    This die makes a really pretty case. I use it for making 38 sp shot shells, using 357 Max cases. However, If I EVER get another Martini Cadet, I am contemplating doing what the OP has in mind: a 30/357.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    A tad bit of research came up with something similar: 30 Bobcat.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Been around since the 50’s in various forms.
    30 picra is the latest
    30 aet

30 Bobcat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1843c5c610cc1fc82035257cdb48d46b.jpg  

Boolit Master
    If Bertram will sell 222rimmed cases not necked down ,then you can easily have a rimmed 30 blackout.........the chamber easily made by lathe turning a rim recess to suit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Run a 357 max. into a 300 BO die backed off a bit. Kind of like a short 30 Apache (1.610 vs 1.76 inches long)

Boolit Grand Master

30 Paxton, 30-357 Paxton or 30 Bobcat is what I have heard it called in the past. More recently I have heard it called 300 Blackout Rimmed or 300AAC Rimmed.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-14-2024 at 06:16 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t remember, but Hornady used to sell brass.

The .30-357 has been around for a long time now. It was once a very popular silhouette cartridge, and does quite well on steel, especially with heavier .357 bullets.

What twist rate would you use on a 16in barrel 125-170grains?
    -John Wayne

Boolit Master

I did some measurements when I ran .223 brass into a 256 Winchester magnum die because the rimless round has a higher base I measured a 5% lower case capacity . Probably get a slight increase going to your rimmed round from rimless .

I would like to see someone come out with a .25 caliber pistol round based on the rimless case using .350 legend solves the slight .002" case difference at the base . I do not want the new round I would just like some effective bullets for my 10" Contender .256 WM !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Very Similar to the .30 Reece cartridge also. The Reece is based on a slightly shortened .357 magnum case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cumminsnut76 View Post
    What twist rate would you use on a 16in barrel 125-170grains?
    1:10
    1:12 inch twist would handle subs and high velocity my 30-30 does
    1:14 pre loved match barrel might be nice

If you put a truck axle on it and a perch belly stock. A half a Hubble telescope you could use it for pb cast bullet match shooting. They use a 30-20 case or 32miller short which is similar as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-15-2024 at 07:46 AM.