Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: bfr hand cannon, is this possible what i want?

bfr hand cannon, is this possible what i want?

I would like to obtain a BFR or another brand that can change the cylinder for a different caliber.
    According to our laws(ridicules as my behind, dont try to understand the Dutch gun law) i could have a 45-70 revolver on my name.
    If i do this, can do that, sit nice like a dog, allowed in that shooting alley, in that discipline, do the...whatever.

Long story short, i would like to shoot also 45-90, my 44mag does not "satisfy" me anymore, it is a great gun the Ruger red Hawk, it shoots like a razor at 100 meters.
    Even at 300 meters when we are 1240km away from our home to our second home.

So is there a manufacturer that makes a 45-90 revolver with a changing cilinder or can i shoot 45-70 from a 45-90 cylinder.
    I can get in both situations both calibers on my permit.
    Pivoting point for me is the 45-90, and sorry all bigger than .458 is NOT allowed in my country.
    It is the extra 45-90 caliber that is giving me the trouble, that's why i want to do this trouble, 45-70 i can have on my permit.

I hope that i post this in the right section, and that there is a gun that could match my "needs".
    Btw "long distance" shooting with a handgun in my country is "forbidden" however i got from several shooting alley owner's permission to go to 50 meters and 100 meters.
    In Poland i can hit the target up to 300 meters even with my 38spl, so i dont need, but i really want a "biggie", money is here.

I hope there is a solution.

With best regards Igor
    Caster/reloader for 45 years.
    Many thanks to this forum to help me shoot lead in semi auto(223) and my 308 (dad) rifle!!!
    Find the puppy in my profile pic..(4 dogs)

Boolit Master

The only difference in the cartridge casings is length - roughly 0.3" in fact. It is possible to shoot .45-70 in a .45-90 chamber.

You could in theory have the .45-70 chambers lengthened, but the problem then becomes one of seating depth of the bullets: WILL THEY EXTEND PAST THE FRONT OF THE CYLINDER?

Ballistically, there is no practical advantage to the .45-90 unless you are using black powder in a rifle-length barrel - and really it will have significant disadvantages. In a handgun, your challenge will be to find a powder that burns efficiently in the short barrel and the already large case of the .45-70.

You might be better off with heavy bullets in a .454 Casull Super Redhawk, as that round was designed for the handgun format and works very well there.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banner Sponsor

You might check with Magnum Research about getting an additional cylinder.
    I have a BFR in 45-70. I have pushed 405 grain cast bullets to 1750fps with IMR4227. It is no longer fun to shoot at that level, but is still controllable.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    You might check with Magnum Research about getting an additional cylinder.
    I have a BFR in 45-70. I have pushed 405 grain cast bullets to 1750fps with IMR4227. It is no longer fun to shoot at that level, but is still controllable.
    I have seen 45-70 405 grain cast go through an Elk end to end with no problem.

Boolit Master
    Can anyone think of a 45-90 load that would perform “better” than 45-70 in a revolver? I think I’d just play with bullet weights and powder charges until it’s as exciting as you want.

Or move to a single shot, I assume that a G2 contender with a 14” barrel would make a very engaging pistol in 45-90.

I think a S&W X frame in .460 would fit the bill. You can shoot 45 colt, 454 casull, or 460 S&W from it. You will be ready for the T Rex hunt with that.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I can tell you the 460 S&W is very nice. Recoil with full loads is impressive, not for those that have issues with the shock... Accuracy at distance can be impressive too. Be aware there are obturation problems at the forcing cone, you can crack a frame & barrel with thin jackets, KNOW your loads (BTW .452 bore). The muzzle comp con be unpleasant for nearby benches at a range. The performance center trigger is sweet, worth the cost...

Boolit Grand Master

With smokeless powder there will be no advantage to the longer case. I assume you reload your cases, so loading max loads in the 45-70 you have gone well beyond what the 45-90 will do with Black Powder, where it truly does have an advantage. The other issue you may not know is that the 45-90 was an 'Express' cartridge, achieving it's higher velocity with a lighter boolit, so there really isn't an advantage, especially in a revolver.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

If you have to have a 45/90, I believe the revolver is not going to work because the window in the frame of any gun I can find, is too small. A Thompson Center Encore, however will. I shoot with a friend who has one in 460 S&W, and it is a "very satisfying" gun to shoot. I load a 290 gr Cast powder coated and gas checked boolit to 2200 fps with the 15" barrel. Accuracy is good and he loves the gun. If you want to go with the 45/70 Encore, that is a .458 diameter where as the 460 is a .451. I don't know whether that matters to you or not. I promise this: A 45/70 with 405 gr boolits at top end loads from a 15" barrel Encore is a LOT more powerful that a 44 SRH.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banner Sponsor

I found 2 different 45-90s, there's the 45-90 Sharps Straight at 2.75" case length
    and the 45-90 Win at 2.4" case length.
    The cylinder length on the BFR is right at 3.000", so the 45-90 Win should fit, but the Sharps Straight, would be too long.
    I think extra cylinders cost around $300. They make cylinders for the 450 Marlin Express also, so a 45-90 Win should be possible.

Boolit Master
    Golly! I have a 450 Marlin, never would have thought of a BFR in that caliber!

Boolit Grand Master

If the 45-70 is no longer "Enough Gun" in a revolver ...

... Then You must have some mighty Big .... Hands !!!

I don't think my ... "Hands" are large enough .

But ... if you have a gunsmith lengthen the chamber to 45-90 Winchester you could still shoot 45-70 ion it and still use 45-70 dies to reload the slightly longer 45-90 .

I believe that is what I would do ... if my "Hands" were larger !

Good Luck with your project , keep us posted !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thank you all for your replies.
    Mnnn, the contender, one i forgot, thanks for the reminder.
    A member had one, incl a 8x57 barrel...yes that was some fun.

The .460 as advised i will look into that one.

btw yes i reload and cast, and i have "big hands"
    25 shots with one hand +p reloaded 45-70 that was fun, but the good owner is no longer among us.
    So basically, that is my reason and OfCourse to "irritate" my fellow shooters at the range.

I wish i lived in Germany.....50bmg.

For those that really want to have a nice revolver: nitro 500 or 600 also available in pistol.

I will keep you updated
    Caster/reloader for 45 years.
    Many thanks to this forum to help me shoot lead in semi auto(223) and my 308 (dad) rifle!!!
    Find the puppy in my profile pic..(4 dogs)