Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special: The Wet Fart Chronicles

I run my brass in grounded walnut at first then I size and deprime them with Unique case lube and then when done I use ground up corn cobs to tumble them to get the lube off and it shine the brass enough for me. I do not like to run dirty brass also in my dies. As for dust from the medium I use dryer sheet cut in strips that I add when I tumble them . It takes care of the dust.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Hey Budzilla 19 can you please tell more about the wash and wax? That sounds like a pretty good Improvement that I might pick up a bottle at the parts store try it on my next batch.
    Chiming in here that I have had great success using ArmorAll's Wash n Wax. I, too, was troubled by dullness after a few days without this addition to the wet tumble mix.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArmorAll Wash & Wax.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	322316

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Dang, Recycled, that’s awesome! Down here we had an old Cajun who did a cooking show. One of his favorite sayings, among others, was “ don’t that purty????” Well, that’s pretty beautiful brass right there!

By the way, that old Cajun was none other than Justin Wilson.
    Be safe, guys.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I am glad I read this thread.

I use the FA tumbler and SS pins. Dawn and water.

Dry in a small convection oven. Hint. If you set it for 230 deg, that is above boiling point of water. Only takes a few minutes once it reaches temp to get all the water out.

Never cared much if the brass was shiny or not. BUT...the idea of using a wax finish and the ease of sizing has me getting some of this stuff for a rinse cycle.

I also use distilled water for final rinse. We have hard water and a softener. Plenty of salt in that tap water.

PS I'll second the SS pins. Yes, you have to check cases for a pin in the flash hole. I do that as I load them in the press. One reason I tumble them is to clean out the primer pockets.

Being a cheap skate, I made my own pin separator out of a couple kitty litter buckets and some hardware cloth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogan1 View Post
    Another advantage of using the wash and wax is the very thin film of wax that is left on the cases makes them run very smoothly through the press. I can tell the difference on the press handle between cases washed with dawn and wash and wax.
    Yes, wash and wax is a great case lube.

The best of both worlds' method:
    I tumble with the traditional Dawn/Lemishine additive and only use the wash and wax in the final rinse.
    I keep a gallon jug of rinse water heavily laced with Wash and Wax and use it over and over for the FINAL RINSE.
    Once dried these cases are PRE-LUBED for SIZING!!
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-19-2024 at 10:40 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

My biggest issue with wet cleaning, decides the drying time, is the bras is actually too clean. I now have to at least spray lube to make reloading less work. While I like clean brass, super shiny, not a big deal if it cost me more time & effort.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Dang, Recycled, that’s awesome! Down here we had an old Cajun who did a cooking show. One of his favorite sayings, among others, was “ don’t that purty????” Well, that’s pretty beautiful brass right there!

By the way, that old Cajun was none other than Justin Wilson.
    Be safe, guys.
    ... I Gar-On-Tee ...

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I just received my FART the other day and I've decided to go the wash and wax-lemishine route. About how much of each cleaner are you using for a full tumbler load of brass?

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I just received my FART the other day and I've decided to go the wash and wax-lemishine route. About how much of each cleaner are you using for a full tumbler load of brass?
    For really dirty brass I use 1/4-1/2 cup of wash and wax. The citric acid I am dispensing using the cap as a spoon, I estimate maybe heaping tablespoon. I have the big FART MACHINE.

Thanks RB! I have the big FART too. I didn't buy any Lemishine yet but I do have some citric acid powder, I'll try that first.

I have about 1500 Nickle plated ,357s I wonder what will the pins do to them. I load those on my Dillon 650 progressive machine and the primer pockets never get cleaned.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    For really dirty brass I use 1/4-1/2 cup of wash and wax. The citric acid I am dispensing using the cap as a spoon, I estimate maybe heaping tablespoon. I have the big FART MACHINE.
    I’d try cutting the lemishine/citric down to half or a quarter that and see what happens. It’s possible to make the water too acidic, butnit all depends on how hard your water is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    ... I Gar-On-Tee ...

Gary
    I'm glad for you to see me.....Loved Justin Wilson.

300 blackout brass came out beautiful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I have about 1500 Nickle plated ,357s I wonder what will the pins do to them. I load those on my Dillon 650 progressive machine and the primer pockets never get cleaned.
    It's not mandatory to use the pins if you don't want to. I never had any issue with nickel brass becoming damaged due to interference or abrasion from the stainless steel pins, but I also don't have a batch of 1500 to draw from . I bet it makes your ammunition look really sharp. What kind of bullets are you hand loading into 357 mag?

There is still plenty benefit of improved cleaning action and faster drying time if you wet tumble them deprimed in the large tumbler with hot tap water with 1/4-1/2 cup wash and wax added, even without pins.

Personally I like shiny brass

I loaded these hollow pointed 358429 bullets into wet pin tumbled nickeled 38 special r-p brass back in early 2020. I don't think there was any negative effect because of it, I think they remain cleaner because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’d try cutting the lemishine/citric down to half or a quarter that and see what happens. It’s possible to make the water too acidic, butnit all depends on how hard your water is.
    Hey I followed your advice and it worked! The brass came out looking even better! That's what I did with this most recent batch of 300 Blackout brass. There was only hot water, Turtle Wax wash and wax 1/2 cup, several pounds stainless steel pins and 3 hours of tumbling.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Dar View Post
    I'm glad for you to see me.....Loved Justin Wilson.
    Me Too ... I Loved his cooking show ... and I got every one of his Cook Books !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast