Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back to Texas

Boolit Master

back to Texas

Last Sunday night I snowblowed and shoveled 15 or so inches from my driveway. We left Monday morning for a return trip to Texas. Door to door (MA -TX) was close to 15 hrs. The plane was delayed but not from the storm - they had to send to NY to get a new battery for the plane. 5 hr flight to San Antonio, then the drive to Del Rio. Temps in TX were in the high 60s, low 70s - beautiful weather. Visited the Amistad National Park- great place. We didn't have time to drive around - we had to leave on Wednesday (which turned into Thursday due to another Northeast storm). By the time we got back on Thursday, just about all of the snow was gone.
    I really want to see more of Texas. Love the highway signs: Bad Road, then- Speed limit 75 mph. My favorite was: Hitchhikers could possibly be escaped inmates.
    Wahlburger vs Whataburger...Da Wife says Wahlburger, I'd take either. I gotta learn how to pronounce HEB.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good things in Texas. But there are also some things that can make you miss your home state too.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    LOTS of things to see in Texas. As a small example, start in San Antonio. Pick your direction: N, S, E or W. Two hours in either direction and everything is different. Each direction has something to offer for the traveler. And that is just a small sample of what Texas has to offer.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    The people in TX that we encountered were very friendly. I can hide my Boston accent, but my wife can't. Her accent started several conversations - where, exactly, are you from? We saw lots and lots of named creeks, most of which were dry. ZORRO Creek was my favorite. Yeah, I'd like to spend some serious time traveling around TX.

You really ought'a be around when those creeks AREN'T dry!
    Budget a month and you still will not see it all!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master
    some moths ago I meet my daughter in San Antonio. took a couple full days to go to the Alamo and then north to the pacific war museum & crawdad festival. it was the best!

The Nimitz Museum is pretty swell, but I wish you could have gone through it 30 years ago. Had better aircraft displays, and it wasn't as jumbled.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    You really ought'a be around when those creeks AREN'T dry!
    Budget a month and you still will not see it all!
    Friend of mine lives in Odessa(beautiful country if you ignore the oil wells...) and he street turns into a river every time it rains. Her house is on 3' stilts to prevent flooding...

Yah, Midland and Odessa both do not handle rain very well.

Boolit Master

HEB is pronounced H E B, my favorite grocery store, trouble is closest one is 4 hours away.

Boolit Master

We moved to East Texas after Katrina and stayed because life was normal and only planned to stay for about 5 years, that was about 18 years ago!
    My wife has no desire to go back to the New Orleans area even for a visit!
    The people were very helpful and welcoming but it is a different culture than southeast Louisiana.
    Not totally different because the rural areas have farms and ranches but they are not as prevalent as in East Texas.’
    The food is good but different in many ways but they love Creole/Cajun food, that luckily I know how to cook, plenty of imitation Louisiana restaurants, small portions and high prices, fair quality.
    Mexican food and barbecue abound, some good some fair.
    The weather is colder in winter and plenty more hot in the summer!
    The spring and fall are wonderful!
    I do miss my fresh seafood but I go for a visit when I can and eat all I can and bring some home for later plus other assorted things like hogsheads cheese and recently boudain !
    Crawfish are gold plated so I have begun to boil my own after Easter when the price goes down.
    I recently saw a meme calling crawfish “chicken of the ditch”, it was poor people’s food when I was a kid because you could literally put nets in a ditch and catch enough for dinner and most probably still can! You have to watch out for water moccasins!
    Believe it or not there are commercial crawfish ponds between Houston and Lake Charles around a Beaumont!
    Plenty of shrimp and Gulf fish in Galveston too!

Boston accents are cool.
    I served with a couple guys from up there. I could sit & listen to them read the phone book all day.

We have signs on the high ways here in a few places that read:
    "Prison Area Do not pick up Hitch hikers".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    So, HEB is spelled out. Not Heb (like Jeb on Green Acres). Cool. Good store - they have it all.
    Even locally, my wife is teased about her Boston accent. She does have a collection of "cowboy boots", and she got several comments/compliments on the ones she wore in TX. She has boots, I have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    She has boots, I have guns.
    To complete your wardrobes,
    you only need a 30" diameter sombrero, and a 10 gallon hat like Hoss had on Bonanza.

And remember, while wearing boots & spurs----- don't squat.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I have a Shady Brady from when I lived in SLC.
    My wife googled custom cowboy boots in Del Rio, but the closest shop was far far away. Love that giant state.

" 'Aitch EEE BEE" as in "Howard E. Butt & Co."
    Fine establishment. Was infinitely pleased when they opened one in Abilene!

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    So, HEB is spelled out. Not Heb (like Jeb on Green Acres). Cool. Good store - they have it all.
    Even locally, my wife is teased about her Boston accent. She does have a collection of "cowboy boots", and she got several comments/compliments on the ones she wore in TX. She has boots, I have guns.

And never forget that Hoss was born and raised just south and a bit east of Lubbock...

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    To complete your wardrobes,
    you only need a 30" diameter sombrero, and a 10 gallon hat like Hoss had on Bonanza.

And remember, while wearing boots & spurs----- don't squat.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    We moved to East Texas after Katrina and stayed because life was normal and only planned to stay for about 5 years, that was about 18 years ago!
    My wife has no desire to go back to the New Orleans area even for a visit!
    The people were very helpful and welcoming but it is a different culture than southeast Louisiana.
    Not totally different because the rural areas have farms and ranches but they are not as prevalent as in East Texas.’
    The food is good but different in many ways but they love Creole/Cajun food, that luckily I know how to cook, plenty of imitation Louisiana restaurants, small portions and high prices, fair quality.
    Mexican food and barbecue abound, some good some fair.
    The weather is colder in winter and plenty more hot in the summer!
    The spring and fall are wonderful!
    I do miss my fresh seafood but I go for a visit when I can and eat all I can and bring some home for later plus other assorted things like hogsheads cheese and recently boudain !
    Crawfish are gold plated so I have begun to boil my own after Easter when the price goes down.
    I recently saw a meme calling crawfish “chicken of the ditch”, it was poor people’s food when I was a kid because you could literally put nets in a ditch and catch enough for dinner and most probably still can! You have to watch out for water moccasins!
    Believe it or not there are commercial crawfish ponds between Houston and Lake Charles around a Beaumont!
    Plenty of shrimp and Gulf fish in Galveston too!
    Around Sacramento CA there are large rice fields where commercial crawfish fishermen ply their trade. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the Texas rice fields around Houston do the same thing. BTW; I was told that most of the CA catch is exported to Sweden!
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Louisiana does, or did grow more rice than Japan.

Driving down through the middle to the South of Louisiana, I saw miles and miles of perhaps former fields converted over
    to growing crawfish. The Southern part of East Texas probably doesn't look much different.

EVERYONE!

My Dad's cousin married a lady from Abbeville. She said that the mark of a good potential South Louisianna bride was that she could look at a rice field and tell you, within a couple of ounces, how much gravy it would take to cover the rice...
    She was a pistol! Miss that girl!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast