RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight wall pistol brass.

Boolit Master

Straight wall pistol brass.

Do you guys chamfer your straight wall pistol brass?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Lol, you assume that we trim it!

Okay, when I trim it I do chamfer so as to avoid tearing the poly coating.

Boolit Master
    I meant new brass.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I do. I don't like lead or copper rings when I seat. But I am quite certain that I am in the minority.
    (I also use a Lee FCD on all of it! I'm sure that may bring some hate and discontent also - but I do me)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I run new pistol brass through my sizer, expander dies just like fired brass. I only load lead boolits so cases need to be expanded. I chamfer rifle brass after trimming. I guess if you're loading jacketed bullets you could chamfer new stuff.

Boolit Master
    I have never chamfered a straight walled pistol brass in my life, and I used to shoot thousands a year in Cowboy Action.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    One thing commonly overlooked is that properly chamfering the mouth will help reduce splitting, as it breaks up the stress risers.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    Uhh, no....should I?

No, never. In my younger days I did a lot of long range shooting and trimmed each lot of brass to the length of the shortest case after the first sizing. I used my Lyman Power trimmer with a carbide cutter to cut the case mouth squarely so I never had to chamfer cases. I left the inner edge square in the hope for more uniform crimps.

Boolit Bub
    i usually do chamfer cases the first time i load them, makes them smoother when expanding and seating.

Boolit Master
    I don't. Way back years ago I would keep my revolver cases trimmed to get uniform crimps but now I'm more into volume loading. I adjust my crimp die to work with the longer cases and let the crimp be compromised on the shorter ones. I don't hunt or compete with the ammo so it works fine for my purposes. Also it's been probably 10 or more years since i bought new handgun brass. I buy used now for both price and availability.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    One thing commonly overlooked is that properly chamfering the mouth will help reduce splitting, as it breaks up the stress risers.
    Ah never mind!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    usually

Boolit Grand Master
    I cannot remember ever buying new pistol brass. Lots of "once fired".

I have never chamfered pistol brass and I do not know of anyone who has. Back in the day, I hung with good Bullseye shooters and never heard of chamfering cases. I know a few guys added taper crimp dies to their Stars but my mentor just had the normal crimp set up. We did a lot of Ransom Rest testing and 50 shot groups were 2 1/2" at 50 yards out of the Clarks and just over 3" with the S&W 52.

When I trim CF rifle cases I chamfer the neck...for no good reason really...just anal about rifle ammunition.
    Don Verna

Only chamfer on even days during months that end in ‘R’ in odd numbered years. Oh yeah I almost forgot, during a New Moon. Wink wink nod nod.

Boolit Buddy
    Have read that 45 auto brass isn't made long enough to start with. What I've measured certainly wasn't.

Boolit Master

No. Straight out of the polisher & into the press.

For pistols, it's like Josef Stalin says: "Quantity has a Quality all it's own"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I chamfer just to lessen the case mouth expansion. It also seems to make the progressive press work a little more smoothly, bullets "sit" better as they enter the seating die.
    But, I am retired and enjoy reloading. The added time isn't a factor for me.
    Tony

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I load every round to hunt , even if the quarry is the savage and dreaded paper target .

After several readjustments of my 45 Colts dies I started measuring cases that at one time were all 1.285 ........ Yeah well it was time to retire those cases . It's no wonder the crimps were all over the place with cases being 1,260 to 1.270 . They will make fine 45 S&W trimmed back to 1.115 . They will be chamfered . 40 cycles on those first 500 cases was a long time ago . To be honest I don't know if I did them or not . I probably did . I don't know if it saves mouth splits or not , I've shot a lot of 38&357 and just like the 45 Colts I get body splits. 9mm and 45 ACP are the only mouth splits I see on my bench .

I'm going to go with anything that brings you confidence in your loads and makes you more confident in your shot whether it introduces any tangible advantage or not is worth doing . Everything that you do to reduce variation makes a better load ........ whether or not you or your gun can take advantage of that is where the decision has to be made .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast