Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Differences between H&R model 158 and 088

Differences between H&R model 158 and 088

Good day folks!

So I have an H&R Topper 158 and a model 088 sitting in front of me. Apart from the differences in handling and storage I see no real physical differences between the two.

Is it just a model # change due to sale of the company or did I miss something else?

Thanks for looking.

I say that but now that I look again there is a site groove and some material removal along the top of the receiver on the 158 that isn't present on the 088. 158 has a recoil pad as opposed to a plastic butt plate also. Otherwise, they appear the same.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 01-12-2024 at 03:33 PM.

Are they both 12 gauge?
    We have a 410 model 158 and a 20 gauge model 490 Jr that have the profiled barrel/receiver and groove sight. All the other Toppers here have full profile barrel/receiver and no groove sight- including another 490Jr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Are they both 12 gauge?
    We have a 410 model 158 and a 20 gauge model 490 Jr that have the profiled barrel/receiver and groove sight. All the other Toppers here have full profile barrel/receiver and no groove sight- including another 490Jr!

The 158 has both a 20 gauge and 30-30 barrel. Interesting to me that the 30-30 barrel is also stamped with the receiver serial number. Never saw that on a barrel before from any source. The 30-30 barrel also has both front and rear sights dovetailed into the barrel itself. The 20 gauge has only a front brass bead.

The 088 has a 20 gauge barrel and that's all. Also has a front brass bead and nothing more concerning sights.

That’s a nice factory rifle/shotgun set; I’m envious.
    I’m working on a .256 Win. barrel for my .410 model 158 so I’ll have a set.
    I consider Toppers to be THE American single shot shotgun IMO.

I'm going to try to make a second and third barrel for the 088. One in 22Hornet and the other in 30Waters. Just to see if I can.

Might fail miserably. Only one way to find out so I'm trying to gather whatever information I can.

What is your game plan for the .256? My rough plan is that fab the underlugs and silver solder them onto barrel blanks using a pair of locating pins. Not sure if I'll change those plans. Time will tell.

That kind of job is beyond my ability.
    For the three that I’ve done, the rifled barrel is turned down by a machinist to be a slip fit inside the shotgun barrel; which can be cut off to a stub or left long. Then they are epoxied together.
    When Topper shotguns were $75 used years ago- that was the best time for these projects.
    I’m also working on a 7-30 Waters.

That kind of job is beyond my ability.
    For the three that I’ve done, the rifled barrel is turned down by a machinist to be a slip fit inside the shotgun barrel; which can be cut off to a stub or left long. Then they are epoxied together.
    When Topper shotguns were $75 used years ago- that was the best time for these projects.
    I’m also working on a 7-30 Waters.

I've never been keen on the idea of sleeved barrels. Obviously they perform to the satisfaction of many people so I'll admit it's a personal dislike of mine.

I may discover that the task of making a barrel from a blank isn't viable in this application. I suppose the only way to know is start the project and see how it goes.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h&r monoblock.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	322037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h&r monoblock.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	322037 Making this monoblock will be stronger than trying to fit a lug to a barrel. It can be smooth bored and the barrel bonded in place with epoxy, Loctite, or solder or it could be threaded and the barrel threaded.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Not sure but the difference models might denote sb1 or sb2 receivers. As for making a barrel, it’s a heck of a lot easer to stub a shotgun barrel. I had a friend/ fellow forum member turn an NEF 12 gauge into a 357 maximum! He did one hell of a job to! I plan on doing a review with some photos very soon. I just haven’t gotten much range time in lately.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Not sure but the difference models might denote sb1 or sb2 receivers. As for making a barrel, it’s a heck of a lot easer to stub a shotgun barrel. I had a friend/ fellow forum member turn an NEF 12 gauge into a 357 maximum! He did one hell of a job to! I plan on doing a review with some photos very soon. I just haven’t gotten much range time in lately.
    I don’t think that the profiled frame/ barrel feature survived the NEF takeover.
    Only the NEF Pardner(shotgun) and the Handi Rifle had the sb1 sb2 frames. Before that they were all low pressure frames.
    Poppy42- please share with us when you get around to it.

Boolit Master
    I don’t think that the profiled frame/ barrel feature survived the NEF takeover.
    Only the NEF Pardner(shotgun) and the Handi Rifle had the sb1 sb2 frames. Before that they were all low pressure frames.
    Poppy42- please share with us when you get around to it.

Definitely will do!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    The main difference I have ever been able to see on the H&R/NEF actions is some of them have a differently angled hammer spur. My old Model 58 (pre transfer bar) .410 had a lower spur than most but not all of the transfer bar guns.

It will probably take someone that worked at H&R to finally reveal all the supposed differences in the various model numbers.

Robert