MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primer pocket cleaner????

Boolit Buddy

Agree with racepres. The Lee hand held tool does a decent job, is quick, and is inexpensive.

Heck, I don't bother cleaning primer pockets unless/until it becomes difficult to sat new primers flush.

I tried using the spark plug cleaner with a .308 and .45 cartridge using baking soda and while it did work somewhat it did not clean as well as wet tumbling using Dawn and steel pins. And yes, there was a small mess with escaping powder. I like alternatives but this isn't one I'm going to embrace.

I'll put this on the back burner until I get some glass beads and try again.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

With the new reloading room, I have a bit more bench space, so have a case prep area, trimmers, neck turner, RCBS case prep center, so I toss fired brass in Big Blue and just move it down the line, found that using a primer pocket uniformed/cutter is easier than worrying with brushes. The cutter just cleans the primer pockets completely, every time and it is motorized in the case prep center. With both primer sizes, plus an inside and outside chamfer set, both ends of the case get setup. The main trimmer is an RCBS motorized pro trim wth 3 way cutter heads.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Just wet clean with pins, brass like new.
    Yeah, this. SPOTLESS brass, inside and out, with nearly zero effort.

Boolit Master

I just use that finger twirler "thingamajiger". Its a time to relax and examine my brass and contemplate the secrets of the universe.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I'd think it makes for a more uniformed seating depth for the primers. the carbon is dimensional and since two matters can not occupy the same space, at the same time - it makes a difference. can you make 'em go bang without the effort? Sure. ever get a high primer?
    I'm on board with this -- having that perfectly uniform depth for primer seating does ensure that you never have a wonky primer. For me, it's more about making sure the contact side of the primer is exactly as it should be, since the business end of it is going to work just fine either way.

I honestly have never spent much time on primer pockets in nearly 50 years of reloading ammo. And never noticed any issues, or deviations, spreads in the ammo I've loaded. I run my brass through a couple wet tumblers I use and pockets are clean enough to not make me want to waste more time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123