WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Ruger super wrangler!

Boolit Buddy
    Is the super wrangler the same gun as the wrangler with adjustable sights? I've heard it's a much better gun?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Is the super wrangler the same gun as the wrangler with adjustable sights? I've heard it's a much better gun?
    https://www.ssusa.org/content/review...uper-wrangler/

https://revolverguy.com/the-ruger-super-wrangler/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-29-2024 at 07:29 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    The difference is a metal receiver, adjustable sights, and two cylinders. One for 22 WMR. It’s a lot heavier with the metal receiver. It’s also the same price as the wrangler when it was first released. I paid either $269 or $289 for the wrangler three years ago and I paid $269 for the super wrangler at the beginning of the month. It was tipped off. Cabela’s had them off another forum. I wish I would’ve known they had them in stock before the end of December because they had 15% off club member Mondays. The store that had them were in inventory since November but not listed on their website. I bought one over the phone and had it transferred to my local Cabelas. I’ll probably wait to shoot it till my optic mount shows up and get a red dot on it. It blows my mind that the original wrangler has now dropped down to about $209 on the average normal selling price….when does that ever happen when retail prices drop on firearms? Whoever wants a cowboy pistol with nonadjustable sites I can sure recommend the original wrangler for $209…it’s awesome and so is its big brother I just bought. Can’t beat the value for money.

Boolit Master
    ive toyed with idea of getting one of those or a rough rider for $119 but every time there is a need to pick up a small accurate 22 and head out for pest and critter control mostly i grab my old 22-45 target model and it is super accurate and has 10 shot magazine.
    but that gun looks like a real workhorse, its inexpensive and being a ruger will most likely provide many years of good service.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Got hit with a bunch of bills the past few months but should be able to pick up mine today. Look forward to trying it out, I wonder if it will like the same ammo my rifles like.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Mine is on its way back from Ruger. The grip frame was bugging me with the big craters, and I had some chipped cericoating on the receiver so I sent it in for repair. It came back with cericoating chipped off the loading gate along with gate moving a good quarter inch in and out loosely. Ruger said the gate shouldn’t be able to move in and out of the receiver and told me to send it right back. Hopefully they sent back out today to me. I have a Weigand combat picatinny mini mount and rosewood Ruger grips ready to install along with a Holosun 403 green dot when I gets back.

Bailed out the Super Wrangler today and took it for a test drive after work. From the get go it seems to be as accurate as the Single Six I used to have. I did paint the front sight white to make it easier to see. With .22 magnums I found I had to crank up the elevation quite a bit, maybe that is to be expected from the higher velocity. Look forward to shooting it alot more!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Sweet! I’ll be sighting my green dot in with the bulk cci 22wmr HPs.

I'm wondering if the point of impact will shift as the barrel breaks in and I get more accustomed to the gun. The trigger pull on mine is fairly stiff and creepy, but should smooth out over time.

If you want a better trigger pull, un hook one leg of the trigger spring under the grips.
    I’ve done this to every Wrangler here(5 so far.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you want a better trigger pull, un hook one leg of the trigger spring under the grips.

I’ve done it with my wrangler and new vaquero. Dropped the new vaquero down to 2.6 pounds. Never measured the wrangler but it’s about the same feel.

POA will shift with trigger pull. It took me some time to get used to my regular wrangler, but I can hit get on with it out to 20 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19I5Fiy.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	324201

I’m hoping with the green dot I can get it to knock over pop cans every time at a 100 yards.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-07-2024 at 10:39 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Have the same issue repeatedly - always best to buy in person - even though you have to travel for the goods!

I did. I drove a little over two hours back-and-forth to get mine. I figured Ruger would send me a lower grip frame which they did. I just didn’t see the chipped off cericoat because they had some safety stuff around the cylinders so I didn’t remove it. My fault, I would’ve just ordered another one from one of the other stores that took a few weeks to get transferred to my store. Hopefully it comes back in good shape this time. I haven’t heard from Ruger and it’s been a few days so maybe they’re taking their time or they just didn’t email me with the tracking number again.

They did send me an extra lower grip frame, because the first one they sent me came damaged and swapped me with another one. The one they replaced on my pistol when it went in for service isn’t in as good as shape with casting Mark and pitting, so I think I’ll swap it out with the one I have here at the house when it shows up. The one that is coming off am going to sand, smooth, or fill it in with fiberglass Bondo, where the pits are and then paint it gold or brass to look like the limited run and install it on my regular wrangler, I think….

Probably won’t look as cool with the Rosewood grips with a Ruger emblem, but it still looks kind of neat with the gold. I remember seeing an article that someone did this right off the bat with all three colors, and they swapped the lower brick frame and ejector housing with the black and the bronze and it looked pretty cool.

Edited:

I just got an email an hour ago letting me know a shipping label was initiated so hopefully I’ll see it this weekend.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-07-2024 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Thanks, will do! I chronographed some ammo yesterday. Federal plated 40 grain ran 1034 fps, about what I expected. Aguila Interceptor 40 grain did not disappoint! 1215 fps and 131 fpe, that's almost rifle performance out of a handgun. Point of impact seems to be the same with both rounds too.

Looks like mine won't be here till Monday or Tuesday so I'll have to wait the weekend before I can finally put mine together I'll post a picture of it when I get the optic and grips on.

Boolit Buddy
    Ugh...New Rugers...

Super Wranglers are neat guns but it really is too bad that Ruger's QC is such trash these days. They just build trash and ship it out the door all day every day. I mean, yeah, their customer service is good and takes care of it, but I don't want to have to deal with all that every time I buy a new Ruger. I'd much rather have a company ship good stuff every time and have awful CS (HK), than have good CS and ship trash.

Anyway, hope it's all to your satisfaction in the end.

All my late model Rugers have been great so far. Hope my luck continues! I did unhook one leg of the hammer return spring and now the pull is really nice.

Boolit Master
    I caved today at my LGS after seeing them all weekend at our Rattlesnake Roundup gun show -- black, 5 1/2-inch barrel. The trigger is pretty crisp and I will shoot it before doing the one-spring-leg lightening trick. Already thinking I want to put wood grips on it. The Supers are heavy. Mine weighs 37.5 ounces, just a bit less than a 1911.

Mine came back today. I just got home and probably won’t open it till tomorrow. Hopefully it looks good and works good. If so, I’ll get my grips put on in green dot and post a pic.

Just got a chance to open the package. The lower grip frame is a lot better than the one it came with. No chips that I can see but I didn’t remove the cylinder yet. I’ll get the grips and green dot mounted up tomorrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast