Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The oldest bottom pour pot ever?

Quote Originally Posted by greybuff View Post
    For those of you that use a turkey burner/cooker, I cut 2 circles of 1/4" plate that fit around my melting pot that covers the rest of the cooker, keeping the heat more concentrated on the pot.
    I just made a heat shield W/lid and a holder for a pouring crucible on a high pressure propane burner. This modification dramatically cut down on the melt time by holding the heat in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	321947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	321948

Boolit Master
    I think that thing would be useful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    That actually doesn't look all that old to me. The angle iron and the welds are too modern.
    +1

To provide heat for such a thing, I would probably look at available turkey fryer burners and find one with a pot surface that can be cut away to fit and weld onto the existing angle iron sections of your pot. With a little thought put into constructing a wind shield for the burner, you'd likely have a pretty functional copy of Satan's Little Smelter - which I'm not sure is even still available.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    +1

To provide heat for such a thing, I would probably look at available turkey fryer burners and find one with a pot surface that can be cut away to fit and weld onto the existing angle iron sections of your pot. With a little thought put into constructing a wind shield for the burner, you'd likely have a pretty functional copy of Satan's Little Smelter - which I'm not sure is even still available.
    I have no intention of ever using this pot, in fact I would give it away to anybody who wants it. I'll probably cut the legs off for welding scrap and throw it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greybuff View Post
    For those of you that use a turkey burner/cooker, I cut 2 circles of 1/4" plate that fit around my melting pot that covers the rest of the cooker, keeping the heat more concentrated on the pot.
    For my turkey fryer, I made a windscreen out of stove pipe to shield the burner itself. Without it, even a mild breeze would carry off a lot of heat.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Except for the long legs, it resembles my home made casting pot. I used a burner from a junk natural gas waterheater for heat. Been using this pot for around 50 years. My only regret is not scrounging up a piece of stainless pipe for the pot.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Man View Post
    Howdy guys,

I got some lead yesterday from a buddy and he made me take this home.

This has to be the oldest bottom pour pot, it has not heat source so some type of burner would have to be put under it. However it was probably quite a thing way back in the day.

Thoughts/comments?

Attachment 321931
    If it were mine, I'd probably jerry-rig an adjacent stack of lead ingots on, say, a brick on which I'd position a Bernzomatic torch. I'd think perhaps, a torch flame on, say, the opposite rear from handle side, on, say, a 20* angle or more, might do the trick? And, as they say in that old joke of giving a dead man an enema, "It can't hurt to try".
    Good luck -- I do think the torch might work.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    If it were mine, I'd probably jerry-rig an adjacent stack of lead ingots on, say, a brick on which I'd position a Bernzomatic torch. I'd think perhaps, a torch flame on, say, the opposite rear from handle side, on, say, a 20* angle or more, might do the trick? And, as they say in that old joke of giving a dead man an enema, "It can't hurt to try".
    Good luck -- I do think the torch might work.
    geo
    Years ago all my casting was with a gas hot plate and a dipper.

Since moving to an electric bottom pour, can't say I have an urge to go back.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Paper Weight .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12