Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How cold can wild turkeys take?

Critters be like lice up here, Cold can get the snowbirds away in the winter but it don't work on these vermin.

I don't care.
    All I know is they can stand cold better than me.

Boolit Master
    The experience here in Washington is that they can handle the cold just fine but the consistent 35 degree rains for months on end in NW Washington are what they can't handle just like, apparently, feral hogs. That is why we don't have either in my neck of the woods.

Boolit Grand Master
    is it ever cold enough to be rid of those?
    ever since the mettled with the natural order we have had no grouse around here
    I would much rather have grouse than turkey's but that is just me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The birds on my property when they come off of roost will fly and glide over 500 yards across the valley and into the neighbors ridge. Seen it 100’s of times over the decades. I have called them in that way to watch them glide and crash in front of me bright during a calling session. They can fly a lot longer and farther than most people give them credit for. Have a group that roost down below my property quite regularly. Hear them, and can see them at sunrise still roosted in the trees down below. I’ve seen them several times fly out of the tree and glide a good 300 to 400 plus yards onto my property. They are Good gliders.

Hope they have their booties and earmuffs on this morning since it -30 with windchill today!

Boolit Master

Last two nights were -35F; the 30 or so Turkey are still doing well (Hanging in the Trees or on the Fence Lines most of the evening/night). They really fluff up those feathers when it's -10 to -35. They ALL come running this morning along with 18 deer when I went out to feed.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

If you are worried about it you can invite them in to sit around the fire.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    No thanks - but it would be nice if they would do their droppings in one place so it could be collected for Fertilizer.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have heard no complaints from my turkeys in the freezer. OK to be more serious at one time I had chickens, and they seemed to survive freezing temperatures just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    No thanks - but it would be nice if they would do their droppings in one place so it could be collected for Fertilizer.
    I don't think you would have problems with droppings, maybe drippings but those are used for the stuffing.

I have a 15-inch square box with a plastic sack for of turkey droppings I was going to use in my garden.
    It made my shed smell like dead animals for years, finally dried out and very little smell now.
    I was initially going to put it in a gunnie sack ant use it like a tea bag and use the "tea" to spread on my garden.
    Sometime I will spread a little of the dry powder on my garden if I think about it.
    A little will go a long way, pretty potent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12